Fallout: New Vegas - Honest Hearts DLC Tidbits

I enjoyed New Vegas much more than FO3, the role playing elements were greatly impoved, in that light Honest hearts could be as-good or maybe even better.

Joshua Graham was Caesars Legion legate at the first battle of Hoover Dam where the legion lost the battle. Caesar had him thrown into the Grand canyon to set an example to the rest of the legion.

Could it be that he lives on as 'the burned man' as hinted via in-game daubed graffiti? -->
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-yU4L6IQ4w

some wiki related info -->
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Joshua_Graham

Obviously, some good previews will tell us more. The storyline depth has impoved progressively though the Fallout series.

It's just too bad the map is so small in NV. I wish they would've kept it as big as FO3 at least, there's a LOT of empty space and lot of invisible walls everywhere, makes the game more uninteresting to explore, which i think is a big part of RPG'ing..

I love the first 2 Fallouts, therefore I like New Vegas far more than F3, warts and all.

It's just too bad the map is so small in NV. I wish they would've kept it as big as FO3 at least, there's a LOT of empty space and lot of invisible walls everywhere, makes the game more uninteresting to explore, which i think is a big part of RPG'ing..

Couldn't disagree more... New Vegas might be smaller (barely) but it's ten times more interesting.

Bethout had the clumsier design and more tedious exploration (especially the central DC area) For me NV easily trumps it for connective narrative and rewarded exploration, with less cookie cutter dungeons and more roleplaying opportunities. I'm also a part of the "I enjoyed 1&2 more than F3" crowd.

I'm very enthusiastic about hearing more about Honest Hearts, as I've resisted thus far in purchasing Dead Money and would love to have two big reasons to play the game through for a fourth time in the near future. :) (Already have my character build in mind…)

Couldn't disagree more… New Vegas might be smaller (barely) but it's ten times more interesting.

It's about 40% smaller, so it's quite a bit smaller. It's generated on the same 64x64 cell grid yes, but the difference is Obsidian made a lot of areas completely inaccessible, people might believe it's the same size (since this is what Obsidian said afterall), but it really isnt..

I'm mostly comparing to what i see in the editors + what has been said on the forums, still havent finished NV (kind of got stuck modding it instead of playing it), though i've seen all of it (except for interiors) in the editor, it's very small and i dont think FO3 is enormous or anything, but it's quite a bit bigger..

"Honest Kingdom Of Hearts" ? ;)

It's about 40% smaller, so it's quite a bit smaller. It's generated on the same 64x64 cell grid yes, but the difference is Obsidian made a lot of areas completely inaccessible, people might believe it's the same size (since this is what Obsidian said afterall), but it really isnt..

I'm mostly comparing to what i see in the editors + what has been said on the forums, still havent finished NV (kind of got stuck modding it instead of playing it), though i've seen all of it (except for interiors) in the editor, it's very small and i dont think FO3 is enormous or anything, but it's quite a bit bigger..

Maybe play it more rather than using the editor to break it down? I don't care exactly how big it compares with FO3 - I got twice as much gameplay time out of it and it was much more interesting.

Couldn't disagree more… New Vegas might be smaller (barely) but it's ten times more interesting.

NV is smaller than FO3? I haven't played it yet myself, but I'm disappointed to hear that. I thought I remember it being said during development that NV was going to be about 10% larger than FO3.

I'm just breaking down the size, i'm absolutely not saying FO3 is better, just that size might be an issue (for me). I'm also underwhelmed by the modding community / discussions there, no where near Oblivion, Morrowind or even FO3, people just seems less interested in FO:NV. It's like 1-2 topics a day at best, Oblivion generates hundreds, even to this date. Doesnt need to mean anything, just a bit strange since so many people are praising it, got good reviews etc..

Last edited:
NV is smaller than FO3? I haven't played it yet myself, but I'm disappointed to hear that. I thought I remember it being said during development that NV was going to be about 10% larger than FO3.

It's supposedly about the same size but like bemused said a lot of areas are cut-off from you, so it feels smaller. I never thought it felt small while playing it though… I actually thought it felt larger than FO3 when I was playing it.

New Vegas is actually designed very much like FO and FO2, despite being open world. It has a lot of points of interest and then nothing much in between. You spend most of the game doing things in population centers or traveling out to specific dungeons/locations for quests, rather than wandering around randomly. I personally loved that about it, but some people wanted it to play more like a Bethesda game traditionally plays.

New Vegas basically tries to be like FO2 as much as possible, rather than like Morrowind or Oblivion.

I'm also underwhelmed by the modding community / discussions there, no where near Oblivion, Morrowind or even FO3, people just seems less interested in FO:NV.
I think one reason is F:NV isn´t as "sandbox-y" as the other mentioned titles - it is very open ended, yes, but it´s also more elaborated and tight with all its faction relations, interconnected quests and such and the gameworld feels overall quite definitive in its presentation.
The other reason is that unlike Oblivion or F3, it simply is a lot more complete RPG package which doesn´t have any major glaring flaws, maybe besides some engine related issues and bugged quest logic here and there.
After few hours of playing I was pretty sure I´m playing a great game and only mod I´ll really need to enjoy it more will be some kind of exp gain reducer.

+1 to all the above posts. There really needed to be empty areas for immersion. Ever been to a real desert? Population centers are few and far between. If FNV was as packed as East Coast USA, it'd really be weird. There was plenty to do in New Vegas as many locations are used multiple times in a logical way.

Back
Top Bottom