Blizzard - Single Launcher for All Blizzard Titles

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Blizzard has announced the release of the Battle.net App. In the coming months each game's launcher will update to the Battle.net App, or you can opt for now. It'll likely be required of every new game they release in the future.

In the months ahead, the game launchers for World of Warcraft, StarCraft II, and Diablo III will be automatically updated to our new desktop app for Battle.net, designed to improve the launcher experience and streamline your ability to play Blizzard games—but if you're interested in upgrading now, you can!
More information.

That's just what I needed! An improved launcher experience!

I hope it streamlines my ability to play Blizzard games, because nothing streamlines like online DRM checks. I hope I can upgrade now…Oh, look! I can!

It's all about convenience and control. Don't forget the control part. This caveman has to go back to his cave now.:brood: (Referring to what Blizzard called those who don't want to play online)

I'll miss the game specific themes, but otherwise this makes sense. I was wondering why bother but remembered the other day that I actually went through my Blizzard games one by one launching each updater to patch the games and thought well Steam would have done this already :p

But I don't really want yet another games accumulator - steam, origin, uplay, now blizzard. If the Windows games box handled updates for each then it would do in place, but it doesn't. Maybe we need an accumulator accumulator...

Does this mean that was was formerly called an "program" on the PC platform is nowadays called an "app" ?

Does this mean that was was formerly called an "program" on the PC platform is nowadays called an "app" ?

Well if your using windows 8 yes. As that is what Microsoft wants to happen.:) It's the future as they say.

Uh-oh.

I think I'll try to buy myself Windows 7 one day - but 8 ? Never !

"Go play the newest "Crysis X App !"

If the Windows games box handled updates for each then it would do in place, but it doesn't. Maybe we need an accumulator accumulator…

Exactly. That is exactly what Games for Windows should have been all about if Microsoft had a brain. Downloading/updating games should have long become an integral part of Windows for maximum user convenience. Call it DirectDownload or DirectUpdate or whatever. Should have had the same functionality as Steam and then all of the features that Steam doesn't have but would be nice to have. You know, innovation and technological leadership by offering the best service possible.

Instead MS chose to fuck up Games for Windows in order to force gamers to switch to Xbox for their gaming.
They can fuck with PC gaming all they want. It's going to survive in spite of their lame efforts. Many of the Kickstarters are going multi-platform already with Mac and Linux support and there have been rumors about Valve focusing more and more on Linux for a long time now.
Definitely a smart move by Valve because if you look at Windows 8 and Microsoft's app store that is only the mere beginning of a closed eco system where they could easily lock out anyone -like Valve- who wants to promote PC gaming.

Oh well, I guess we'll have to live with Microsoft's anti-PC gaming stance for as long as the Xbox keeps going though. I mean the Xbox is raking in so much more revenue it's not even funny.
Not only do MS get an additional ~$10 from every single game unit sold on that system but sheeple people are actually willing to pay just for multiplayer capability via Xbox Live. Imagine MS would try to charge people $60/year for providing the Internet-related services in Windows (Windows Live Gold Membership). Redmond would sooo be on fire, you wouldn't need street lights at night across the country in NYC :biggrin: .

Exactly. That is exactly what Games for Windows should have been all about if Microsoft had a brain.

I agree. This had so much potential. Remember Games for Windows magazine? That all lasted less than a year and it was all dropped - the platform and the mag.

Well if your using windows 8 yes. As that is what Microsoft wants to happen.:) It's the future as they say.
Well, wanting something and getting it are two very different things. Microsoft's insistence on bundling new PCs and tablets with Windows 8 staggered the PC market worldwide.

Back
Top Bottom