HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
IGN is not impressed by Fallout 76:

Fallout 76 Review

A wasted wasteland.

After more than 50 hours plundering the irradiated wasteland of Fallout 76, the greatest mystery still lingering is who this mutated take on Fallout is intended for. Like many of Vault-Tec’s underground bunkers, Bethesda’s multiplayer riff on its post-nuclear RPG series is an experiment gone awry. There are bright spots entangled in this mass of frustratingly buggy and sometimes conflicting systems, but what fun I was able to salvage from the expansive but underpopulated West Virginia map was consistently overshadowed by the monotony of its gathering and crafting treadmill.

On the surface, Fallout 76 is another dose of Bethesda’s tried-and-true open-world RPG formula on a larger-than-ever map that’s begging to be explored. As you emerge from Vault 76 you’ll start in a relatively peaceful forest and venture out into more dangerous pockets of the irradiated wasteland. My favorite is traveling the lengths of the Cranberry Bog, where the pinkish-red fields are seemingly inviting from afar but turn out to be full of a snaking system of trenches and alien forests that hide the worst horrors of the wasteland, but there are many more.
[...]
The Verdict
In an effort to do everything, Fallout 76 fails to do any of it well enough to form an identity. Its multiplayer mindset robs its quests of all the moral decisionmaking that makes the series great, and all that’s left is a buggy mess of systemic designs that never seems to work together and regularly contradicts itself. It all culminates in an aggravating endgame that’s more busywork than satisfying heroics. Bethesda missed the mark with Fallout 76, in part because it seems like it could never decide what it was aiming for.
More information.

This game must be really bad, if Beth wasn't able to buy a 9/10 review from IGN.

It's ok modders will save the day like for their previous games. Oh, right..

My god, even IGN doesn't shower the game with unwarranted praise.
Strange times.

I'd much rather play any so-called RPG maker games than this Fallout, or the one prior to it. We can only hope they leave the franchise alone after this, that someone more worthy will come along to resurrect it and give us project that harkens back to what Fallout used to be.

Is it wrong of me to be glad this game failed?

I'm really worried for the future of single-player games. So I think, if this game had succeeded, then it would have been the end of any more single-player Bethesda games.

Hopefully, they'll now give up on this multi-player cancer and go back to doing what they do best.

Multi-player cancer, I'm most definitely stealing that quote!
I knew this would happen after it's E3 announcement.:lol:

Fallout 76 feels as if Bethesda managed to make a Fallout game without any Fallout in it.

For a second I thought I was viewing codex thread
Nah just the club of Caveman Offline Singleplayers United or just COSU.:biggrin:

To join you need an undying hatred of everything Multiplayer.

I coined that phrase based on a Blizzard's employee response to Diablo III critics.

Eh?
I thought that club has only one member. Me.

At this point I'm wondering if they forgot to pay off the commercial reviewers. :p

Ed. after reading above responses: Heh, I guess grate minds do think alike.

Back
Top Bottom