The Outer Worlds - Announced

How does having zones make it not open-world? Most of the articles I've read are saying it is open-world, and Obsidian has stated it's their largest game ever. Of course that could be interpreted multiple ways.

Which articles?

The ones I've read from people who saw a gameplay demo at Obsidian talks about various zones (on 2 planets + space stations) visited via ship fast-travel like in KoTOR/ME trilogy.

Are we calling KoTOR/ME Trilogy open world games now? I can't keep up with gaming genre revisionist it seems.

Which articles?

The ones I've read from people who saw a gameplay demo at Obsidian talks about various zones (on 2 planets + space stations) visited via ship fast-travel like in KoTOR/ME trilogy.

Are we calling KoTOR/ME Trilogy open world games now? I can't keep up with gaming genre revisionist it seems.

Most of them. Just use Google.

TOW doesn't look anything like KotOR or the ME trilogy. Those games for the most part had very constricted level design where most areas were just a series of large corridors. The gameplay shown from TOW so far looks more akin to FO:NV than games like that.

I give credit to Oblivion for keeping the lid on this project. This isn't some niche iso-RPG, this is AAA, big-money project.
The publisher of The Outer Worlds, "Private Division" (a subsidiary of Take-Two), was just created explicitly for the purpose of funding games that aren't AAA, but are somewhere in the middle ground between AAA and indie. So, it's extremely doubtful that the parties involved consider this a AAA game. (Which I'm fine with, AAA for RPGs is usually a negative thing, atm it's been several years since the last decent AAA RPG...Witcher 3?)

This is not a AAA game, not with those graphics. They aren't bad, but to be honest they aren't the prettiest graphics ever seen either. Just sayin'. Cyberpunk 2077 it is not, not even close.

Most of them. Just use Google.

TOW doesn't look anything like KotOR or the ME trilogy. Those games for the most part had very constricted level design where most areas were just a series of large corridors. The gameplay shown from TOW so far looks more akin to FO:NV than games like that.

You mean people seeing the trailer and posting article saying it is "open world" just because they think it looks like FO:NV just like you are doing.

If it was an open world game, Obsidian/PrivateDivision would have plastered that on their marketing page, press release and everyone who saw Obsidian presentation last week would also said that it is. Yet, Polygon, IGN and Game Informer in their articles about the presentation/interview makes no mention of the game being open world and PCGamer straight up says it is not an open world game, but handcrafted zones.

It's a hub based game like KoTOR/ME1 with jumping and more walking freedom. You even get the ship at the end of the first act similar to those games and there are points of no return according to Leon Boyarsky (in the PCGamer article).

Last edited:
You mean people seeing the trailer and posting article saying it is "open world" just because they think it looks like FO:NV just like you are doing.

If it was an open world game, Obsidian/PrivateDivision would have plastered that on their marketing page, press release and everyone who saw Obsidian presentation last week would also said that it is. Yet, Polygon, IGN and Game Informer in their articles about the presentation/interview makes no mention of the game being open world and PCGamer straight up says it is not an open world game, but handcrafted zones.

It's a hub based game like KoTOR/ME1 with jumping and more walking freedom. You even get the ship at the end of act 1 like those games and there are points of no return according to Leon Boyarsky (in the PCGamer article).

No, I'm talking about articles like this..
https://www.vg247.com/2018/12/07/th...bsidian-rpg-and-it-looks-rather-fallout-like/
The Outer Worlds certainly looks like it follows Obsidian’s storytelling linage, presenting what appears to be a story-driven open-world RPG set in a world with a retro-futuristic approach to space travel. It also seems to feature companions and first-person shooter combat that again doesn’t seem all that dissimilar to Fallout.

and this..
https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/new-product/game/the-outer-worlds-news-3689025/
The game seems to be an open-world first-person shooter with various RPG elements set in a dystopian universe where massive corporations own entire planets, and most importantly, it’s a game that doesn’t take itself too seriously.

and this..
https://www.windowscentral.com/outer-worlds-obsidian-entertainment-looks-fallout-space
The Outer Worlds is a first-person role-playing game where choices matter. It seems like you can explore a multitude of planets during the course of the campaign. It's a lot like Destiny 2 where you go to different open-world areas for various objectives. Game Informer managed to get its hands on the title, and you can look at some of the mind-blowing footage below.

and this..
http://informedpixel.com/the-game-awards-2018-obsidians-new-exclusive-is-the-outer-worlds/
Announced during The Game Awards, Obsidian finally revealed what they’ve been working on for the last couple of years. The same developers that brought us Fallout: New Vegas are developing a new open-world role-playing game based in the distant future. It appears to take on the same aesthetic as Fallout, perhaps with a more… animated art style

But don't let that stop you from trying to put words in my mouth and looking like a fool rather than just using Google yourself. :)

Being hub-based doesn't make it like KotOR. Anyone can see it's not like that in terms of level-design just from the one gameplay video. It's not going to be a single large world like FO, but the design appears to be completely open unlike the games you're stubbornly trying to compare it to.

I'm really excited after watching the trailer, some breakdowns of it, and reading the additional information on PC Gamer. While I'd have loved another game set in the Fallout universe with Obsidian at the helm I think this is the closest we'll ever get. Looks like New Vegas meets FireFly and I'm stoked to see more and more information about this game.

After the debacle of Fallout 76, not sure Obsidian would want to put the Fallout name on one of their games anyway, could hurt sales.

Been trying to find a youtube clip of Cain & Boyarsky's intro at the Game Awards - does one exist?

edit: ooo, nevermind…

No, I'm talking about articles like this..
https://www.vg247.com/2018/12/07/th...bsidian-rpg-and-it-looks-rather-fallout-like/

and this..
https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/new-product/game/the-outer-worlds-news-3689025/

and this..
https://www.windowscentral.com/outer-worlds-obsidian-entertainment-looks-fallout-space

and this..
http://informedpixel.com/the-game-awards-2018-obsidians-new-exclusive-is-the-outer-worlds/

But don't let that stop you from trying to put words in my mouth and looking like a fool rather than just using Google yourself. :)

Being hub-based doesn't make it like KotOR. Anyone can see it's not like that in terms of level-design just from the one gameplay video. It's not going to be a single large world like FO, but the design appears to be completely open unlike the games you're stubbornly trying to compare it to.

Now that's plain nasty language, young man…I'll need to have a word with yon' governor. :)

Open world these days means more simulation of living environment, I wouldn't exactly go into this expecting one.

This was btw the most brilliant timing announcement I've seen

"Thank you Fallout 76, THANK YOU!"- Cain and Boyarsky

Game wouldn't caught nowhere near that buzz if Bethesda released that trainwreck a month later.

The trailer namechecks New Vegas, which neither Cain or Boyarsky worked on.

Is the only connection to NV the company name Obsidian itself? If so, that means very little since the personnel is now so different.

The footage looks good to me on the whole -- not very new, but good.

The trailer namechecks New Vegas, which neither Cain or Boyarsky worked on.

Is the only connection to NV the company name Obsidian itself? If so, that means very little since the personnel is now so different.
Well obsidian developed Fallout:NV so that's not a lie. Though yes most employees are probably different now. Also Cain & Boyarsky did invent Fallout. So that's not a lie either.

Anyway I couldn’t help but laugh at Obsidian’s less than discrete jabs at Bethesda.

I'm not sure if anyone took the time to read the disclaimer at the end of the trailer, If found a transcript:

Spacer's Choice is not responsible for any feeling of vertigo, wonder, or hunger you may have experienced while watching this advertisement. Spacer's Choice is a wholly owned subsidiary of Universal Defense Logistics. By watching this advertisement, the viewer absolved Spacer's Choice of any liability throughout the universe until the end of time. This advertisement was tested on animals and found 89.5% safe for human viewing. However, it is unsafe to view this advertisement while under the influence of Adrenatime [Diathylpolyoxilate] and its derivatives]. The slogans "It's not the best choice, it's Spacer's Choice", "Taste the Freedom with Spacer's Choice", "From Spacer's Choice, of course", and "You've tried the best, now try the rest" are trademarked and owned by Universal Defense Logistics, and may not be used without a form 1165SDL-UDL and a commitment of servitude of no less than ten years.

This advertisement is not to be enjoyed, discussed or referenced on company time. Spacer's Choice is not associated with Trucker's Choice and anyone who claims otherwise will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Five canids, two raptidons and a genetically unidentifiable space organism were all harmed during he making of this advertisement. This advertisement was filmed on Spacer's Choice - 100% pure acetate - If this advertisement begins to smoke, please withdraw to a safe distance and continue viewing. Any endorsement of Spacer's Choice by the Halcyon Corporate Board conveyed by this advertisement is implied but not expressed. Warning: Pregnant women, the elderly and anyone who has eaten in the last two hours should avoid prolonged exposure to this advertisement.

This advertisement should not be construed to represent any warrantee or guarantee, regardless of the actual words used or implied in the foregoing. Due to a recent court decision, Spacer's Choice is contractually obligated to state that Auntie Cleo products do not contain: Cyanide, Cystypig Gastric Juices, Mercury, Sprat Intestines or human body parts despite any previous claims made to the contrary by Spacer's Choice. Any similarity to any persons, living, dead or in hibernation is purely coincidental. Spacer's Choice has made the legally required minimum effort to insure that the information contained in this advertisement is correct at the time of its release. Nothing in this advertisement is intended as a substitute for the medical advice of physicians. And remember, Spacer's Choice pre-sliced Bred tastes fresh because it was!

This looks interesting. I like most of what I'm seeing, but I'm rather worried about the writing. It's giving me that Alpha Protocol vibe with utterly terrible attempts at humor.

I'm usually pretty generous when it comes to subpar writing - but cringe-worthy "humor" is one of those styles that I have a hard time ignoring.

Other than that, it's a game to keep an eye on.

Alright, it's on my radar. Cautiously optimistic at the moment. Not the biggest fan of the bright colors as others have mentioned, but I can get over that if the game is good. :)

the-outer-worlds_bild1.jpg

To me it just looks..weird. Like they crammed assets from different games/environments to make it look more "alien". Big appeal of sci fi, is ( somewhat) plausible explanations for "mysterious", I loved reading all descriptions/all the effort that went into Mass Effect planets/codex.
If they go too far with not taking it seriously, it will hurt game's worldbuilding.

Back
Top Bottom