Tainted Grail - The Fall of Avalon Announced

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon was a very successful Kickstarter campaign for the creation of a board game. Due to that success there will now also be a PC RPG made.

he Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon Kickstarter turned out to be the fourth most successful board game crowdfunding campaign on the platform ever, with over $6,200,000 gathered in pledges from almost 42,000 backers. This allowed its creators, Awaken Realms, to play an ace they've been hiding up their sleeves. Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon - a story-driven RPG set in the world of Arthurian legends - is coming to PC!
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - December 28th, Wrocław, Poland

Awaken Realms certainly saved the best for last. The team first announced the smashing success of their Kickstarter campaign (the project was funded in one minute, the first $2,000,000 was gathered in less than 24 hours). Now, at the end of the campaign, they've reached a point where Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon occupies a spot in Top 10 highest funded gaming Kickstarters of all time, with more pledges than such digital hits as Pillars of Eternity or Torment: Tides of Numenara. Unlocking this amazing achievement allowed Awaken Realms to reveal that Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon will not only be available as a board game, but in fact also come to PC as a purebred RPG based on Arthurian myths!

Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon takes place on the dying island of Avalon. The ancient guardian stones that once helped people conquer this mythical place are now fading. As their light dims, a malignant power retakes the land inch by inch. Your desperate hometown sent a party of champions to seek help in distant Camelot.

You were not one of them.

Now, the true heroes have failed, the king is dead, and the Round Table is in disarray. The ordinary people of the island, such as you, scramble to find safety. Set out on your journey to uncover the secrets behind the legends.

Save Avalon - or simply try to save yourself.

Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon will bring gamers a tense exploration and survival experience set in a grim retelling of Arthurian legends. Full of stirring art and incredible, non-linear narrative, the game will offer a unique mix of discovery, challenge, and exciting cRPG character progression, as well as involving combat and diplomacy systems.

TAINTED GRAIL: THE FALL OF AVALON - MAIN FEATURES

SURVIVE AND EXPLORE

The Guardian Menhirs are fading around you with every passing second, while difficult encounters, starvation, sickness, and bad weather all conspire to end your journey.

SHAPE THE LAND

Your actions alter the island of Avalon in permanent, meaningful ways. Towns thrive or die. Key characters achieve their goals or perish. The Round Table rises up or falls into oblivion.

USE FORCE OR DIPLOMACY

In Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon, diplomacy is more than a dialogue option. Play exciting combat and diplomatic encounters and choose whether you want to go down in history as a great champion or a great leader.

RETURN AGAIN AND AGAIN

With hundreds of secrets, many hidden locations, and a deep, branching storyline, Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon offers incredible replayability and a constant thrill of discovery.

GO INSANE

Witness time twist upon itself in the impossible halls of the Fore-dweller capital. Traverse streets of cities claimed by Wyrdness. Face creatures that should never exist. Begin to question who you are.

More information.

Sounds good but beyond that not much game-play yet.

Nice concept. Wonder what kind of an RPG it will be

I've often considered launching a Kickstarter for a boardgame. I mean, it would be almost criminally easy - considering that I could ENTIRELY skip the hard part = coding.

Why the hell don't I do that?

Backed this as well, and I wish them much success. They've a lot on their respective plates with having both a board and computer game to assemble, but I believe they'll pull it off with ease.

Anyway based on that story trailer it might be similar to another RPG like Nighthawks. Just my guess but I don't see a traditional RPG being made by this developer.

I've often considered launching a Kickstarter for a boardgame. I mean, it would be almost criminally easy - considering that I could ENTIRELY skip the hard part = coding.

Why the hell don't I do that?

Well, I have designed board games and it's a helluva lotta work. Especially balancing... dozens to (more likely) hundreds of play-hours, updating your prototype many times in-between.

And then the Kickstarter... that too is a massive amount of work a lot of people underestimate.

That said, board game kickstarters are much more successful in funding compared to videogames (but that's mostly due to the fact that board game kickstarters are often just really presale campaigns to fund production for games that are essentially already designed and tested).

Well, I have designed board games and it's a helluva lotta work. Especially balancing… dozens to (more likely) hundreds of play-hours, updating your prototype many times in-between.

And then the Kickstarter… that too is a massive amount of work a lot of people underestimate.

That said, board game kickstarters are much more successful in funding compared to videogames (but that's mostly due to the fact that board game kickstarters are often just really presale campaigns to fund production for games that are essentially already designed and tested).

Try doing all of those things AND coding it at the same time :)

Well, and doing sound, art, bug-testing, UI, etc. - but those things are sort of minor in comparison.

Links to your boardgames?

Yeah kickstarting a board game is a much safer bet then a computer game. You don't have to worry that all of the developers ideas are going to be impossible to code or that they are going to run out of money. There's no need to hire a team of coders and make a huge investment in development when the kickstarter is done, just playtesting and production. It's very rare that the game doesn't come out or that it has a massive delay and ends up as something other than advertised. Most of the time you even get a significant discount over the final price by kickstarting it, so it can even be an investment. From the developers end though people are going to be understandably skeptical of your kickstarter unless you have a good track record or you can provide backers with the complete digital rules so they know what they are getting (along with a great concept).

I had meant to back Tainted Grail but forgot. Maybe I'll see if I can still get in despite the kickstarter closing.

Back
Top Bottom