Realms Beyond - A Turn-based RPG

Before you release on kickstarter/fig I highly recommend getting regular backers to review your pitch. It is absolutely critical to get it right as many campaigns fail just because of the initial first paragraphs and the style of their videos. It all comes down to using the right words that resonate with the fans of this genre.

This sounds great. I'd definitely back a Kickstarter.

@HobGoblin42;, are you already sure about the camera angle or is it still open for change?
For my taste it's a little to steep… I think. Somehow I'm not comfortable with it.

We chose a different perspective than other static isometric RPG engines such as Baldur's Gate, PoE or Arcanum because the nature of our villages/towns/cities is mainly influenced by Ultima 7. First and foremost, we aim to simulate a world such as Britannia rather than designing locations based on the storyline like in PoE or Baldur's Gate.
And in contrast to those games, all of our buildings will offer a "realistic" number of items and furniture, e.g. tools for the bakery. Many of them will never be part of quests or stories, but nonetheless we value those details as crucial elements for a believable world (along with NPC schedules, times of the day, jobs, families, etc.)

At the end, our fundamental different approach regarding the world design resulted in this perspective because having all those details in buildings requires a better insight and, of course, hideable roofs

P.S.: usually, after playing a couple of minutes, you adjust to this uncommon perspective like playing Ultima 7/8 back in the 90s.

And of course, about localization, English & German seems to be confirmed (I don't see how it could be different), but what about other languages?

Beside English and German, we would really like to offer a Russian and French localization, but those depend on finding skilled (and inexpensive) translators being familiar with that kind of genre.

We chose a different perspective than other static isometric RPG engines such as Baldur's Gate, PoE or Arcanum because the nature of our villages/towns/cities is mainly influenced by Ultima 7. First and foremost, we aim to simulate a world such as Britannia rather than designing locations based on the storyline like in PoE or Baldur's Gate.
And in contrast to those games, all of our buildings will offer a "realistic" number of items and furniture, e.g. tools for the bakery. Many of them will never be part of quests or stories, but nonetheless we value those details as crucial elements for a believable world (along with NPC schedules, times of the day, jobs, families, etc.)

At the end, our fundamental different approach regarding the world design resulted in this perspective because having all those details in buildings requires a better insight and, of course, hideable roofs

P.S.: usually, after playing a couple of minutes, you adjust to this uncommon perspective like playing Ultima 7/8 back in the 90s.
That is all nice but you might run into a problem of trying to sell this game to wider market and not only hardcore older RPG players. Divinity Original Sin and Pillars of Eternity brought in new blood and they might not click the purchase button if you already change drastically how it looks on screenshots or in promo videos.

The style reminds me a lot of Herokon ... So far I like this "Realms Beyond" game. :) I'd like to have an more traditional game again. :)
But that's just my personal opinion.

That is all nice but you might run into a problem of trying to sell this game to wider market and not only hardcore older RPG players. Divinity Original Sin and Pillars of Eternity brought in new blood and they might not click the purchase button if you already change drastically how it looks on screenshots or in promo videos.

Nah it's ok, I doubt anybody will decide not to buy a game they've heard it's good because of the zoom level.

Nah it's ok, I doubt anybody will decide not to buy a game they've heard it's good because of the zoom level.
We here and people on RPGCodex and on few other places will not care, but the general public? They will not buy it for even less. And I am not talking about the Call of Duty or Bioware fan general public.

Fortunately, we don't need such "wide" audiences like D:OS or PoE since we're a much smaller studio running at significant lower costs. We are a niche in the niche, but that allows us to do things differently and unique; think of Age of Decadence or Spiderweb Games. Beside that, the RPG framework behind Realms Beyond is not just another game production but a long-term project/mission for us.

Fortunately, we don't need such "wide" audiences like D:OS or PoE since we're a much smaller studio running at significant lower costs. We are a niche in the niche, but that allows us to do things differently and unique; think of Age of Decadence or Spiderweb Games. Beside that, the RPG framework behind Realms Beyond is not just another game production but a long-term project/mission for us.
Well in that case, I wish you good luck. I am sure to get this game and play it once it is out and polished :)

Beside English and German, we would really like to offer a Russian and French localization, but those depend on finding skilled (and inexpensive) translators being familiar with that kind of genre.
Sounds good,
I could be interested to join the French translation project, but right now, I'm already too busy with the translation of The Age of Decadence (maybe a full year of work although we've made good progress so far: we've alsmost reached half the way). Not that I'm a skilled translator, I've only translated before Dungeon Rats, the prison-crawler based upon AoD, which was quite hot too. Without mentionning the technical aspects of Realms Beyond translation
Moreover, I don't know if you expect the translation to be ready for the launch day, but be sure that if I find the time, it will be a pleasure to bring my contribution. Remember how I supported Chaos Chronicles? No reason here to be different ;)

Looks great on paper… but it's only on paper. =) 2019? I'll see where things are that then… looks pretty ambitious and my spidey-sense says we may never see this but I wish them luck!

Your spidey sense is amazing. Sorry, Realms Beyond came up on Picture Watch and I went through some of the old news bits.

Back
Top Bottom