RPGWatch Feature - Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness Interview

I think we need to chill a little. TBH, I've been more hardline and said more than I meant to about the whole thing, because of the grief we were getting. Really, my position is just that I see a lot of things that strike me as Mickey Mouse, and some answers that struck me as less than straight. In short, I ain't buyin' what they're sellin'.

That doesn't mean they're as necessarily as bad as Dreamatrix and the Eliis nutters. Indeed, I think it's already quite likely I'm wrong about hitting the goal - it's looking like a pretty decent bet, at this point.

One thing I don't think we should retain from the D'Art school, though, is the practice of implying there's something deficient about those who don't hold our approved opinions, and that they are saying things they are not.

I'm not "anti criticism". I clearly pointed out what I thought was over the line and what wasn't. But this is all going nowhere so I'm happy to move on.

They're almost at 20k now, which has to be pretty good in just two days? I reckon we won't be looking at stretch goals, but the funding goal seems perfectly doable.

I really want them to succeed now because after this discussion I'm really curious about where the game will end up. And if it doesn't reach success in the KS we'll probably never know. I like knowing.

They're almost at 20k now, which has to be pretty good in just two days? I reckon we won't be looking at stretch goals, but the funding goal seems perfectly doable.

I really want them to succeed now because after this discussion I'm really curious about where the game will end up. And if it doesn't reach success in the KS we'll probably never know. I like knowing.

I notice the Codex is calling for a Codex Fund-Geyser, because they also want to see it made, though for slightly more Codexian reasons... :p

Yep, I want to see how this product turn out now too.

Btw, while I was browsing codex, I noted that Baldur's Gate modder is involved with this project:

http://www.sorcerers.net/community/threads/a-new-rpg-black-geyser-couriers-of-darkness.77925/

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=29348

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=29334

Apparently, Baronius is co-founder of Black Geyser project and he seems to admin the site
http://www.blackwyrmlair.net (which takes you to Black Geyer site randomly, if you click on cached link it look like older version of the current Black Geyser site).

Anyone know which Baldur's Gate mod he worked on? Wonder why they didn't mention that during KS or here - isn't this additional credit for their team?

I would also like to see this project succeed. It just isn't straight-up my kind of game, but if a friend or three glam onto it and persuade me, I could certainly see myself giving it a go at some time.

Yep, I want to see how this product turn out now too.

Btw, while I was browsing codex, I noted that Baldur's Gate modder is involved with this project:

http://www.sorcerers.net/community/threads/a-new-rpg-black-geyser-couriers-of-darkness.77925/

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=29348

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=29334

Apparently, Baronius is co-founder of Black Geyser project and he seems to admin the site
http://www.blackwyrmlair.net (which takes you to Black Geyer site randomly, if you click on cached link it look like older version of the current Black Geyser site).

Anyone know which Baldur's Gate mod he worked on? Wonder why they didn't mention that during KS or here - isn't this additional credit for their team?

This is actually one of the reasons I would have liked to have seen some more actual content. The few scenes available look so remarkably like PoE, I would like to be reassured that they weren't created by some heavy modding of that game.

I notice the Codex is calling for a Codex Fund-Geyser, because they also want to see it made, though for slightly more Codexian reasons… :p

Isnt that a little paradox that harsh Codexians didnt find it "suspicious"?

Anyway they are coming to 1/2 on KS and small info:

David Lockwood from Obsidian (who worked on Pillars of Eternity 2 as well) will join to help our team as a designer if we fund.

Isnt that a little paradox that harsh Codexians didnt find it "suspicious"?

They most definitely do. They found the trainwreck of a thread very entertaining, and they think it will be amusing to see what unfolds. I'm sure there's a few that are actually interested, but largely it's ironic mischief.

They most definitely do. They found the trainwreck of a thread very entertaining, and they think it will be amusing to see what unfolds. I'm sure there's a few that are actually interested, but largely it's ironic mischief.

Well, they are pretty good at hiding that a lot of them is more or less interested. :)

Well, they are pretty good at hiding that a lot of them is more or less interested. :)

Yes, I'm sure some of them are. But your question was why the harsh Codexians don't find it suspicious. They do. I could post plenty of choice quotes, but I don't think anybody would thank me.

They sure are interested in making hilarious comments about it :) and donating for shits and giggles.

Haven't chimed in yet, so hopefully I don't reignite sensitive topics.

I think the project looks promising. I don't know much about the dev team, so I can't gauge whether Black Geyser is a genuine idea or not. I do think that Ripper and PurpleBlob are expressing legitimate concerns. A few things worry me, too, but I won't be condemning the project. We're basing those concerns on what wee see such as low res CGI and forum behavior, not what don't see, such as behind-the-scenes struggles and strife. I haven't been in the shoes of a developer, and truthfully I don't think I ever want to.

I think it's understandable to be critical of a project so long as it's within reason. Some of us have more information than others, particularly when it comes to indie developers where they are much easier to reach than the big name AAA teams. As such, they can provide more insight. That said, misinformation can be just around the corner, too. Stay vigilant.

I don't think personal attacks are warranted. Additionally, I don't think advising the team to avoid the Watch is the ideal move to make, nor is avoiding the Watch due to vastly differing opinions. It's up to us, the regulars of the Watch, and developers, to discuss these projects without elevating to a personal level. Everyone chooses how they want to respond, regardless if they're part of a game development team or they're a potential customer.

I think there's potential here, but I haven't backed it. I'm not a fan of the low res CGI (particularly if it's been in development since 2015) and forum behavior of one dev/PR person, but it's not enough to deter me from the project because, simply put, I don't know enough about it or the team's background to really push me away. They may have suffered massive financial turmoil - I don't know. I'll exercise cautious optimism.

Also, I do miss seeing dArt around, if at least to challenge the popular opinion/ideas.

Last edited:
Well ... this was a whirlwind of a thread :)

Just backed this at a low level, not playing so many games these days, but it looks interesting and worth a shot.

Well … this was a whirlwind of a thread :)

Just backed this at a low level, not playing so many games these days, but it looks interesting and worth a shot.

If I had been smarter I would have distracted everyone with Dungeon Lords references

I haven't backed the game because, quite frankly, I'm still somewhat unconvinced. I still remember the original Pillars of Eternity, all the hype involved and the end result (which I'm not a fan of, although I don't think the game was awful either). I'm going to be skeptical of any game that intends to be Baldur's Gate 3 and does not have an excellent presentation.

The game will be backed. It's at almost 30k at this moment. Unless everybody forgets the game for 25 days, it will have less than 20k to get in the final 5 days and that's kinda easy to get when you're "almost there". I wish all the luck to the developer but I'll believe the game is good when I see it (after release, I guess).

If they post a few updates and include some videos they will make it

I believe so too, unless they screw up and get people to cancel their pledges. I've never heard of any Kickstarters managing that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom