King Arthur: Knight's Tale - Preview @ Fextralife

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Fextralife checked out King Arthur: Knight's Tale:

King Arthur: Knight's Tale Gameplay Impressions & Preview (Dark Fantasy Turn-Based Tactical RPG)

In this King Arthur: Knight's Tale gameplay impressions and preview. In this video we'll be taking a look at the new turn-based RPG by Neocore Games that goes into Steam Early Access on January 26th. Neocore is the studio behind Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor Martyr, as well as The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing series. They have also made several other King Arthur themed games over the years, so this installment should come as no surprise to their fan base.
More information.

this looks FANTASTIC! i love what i see on this one. i will play when it's officially released and with whatever expansions come with it. good stuff. :)

Looks decent enough. Too bad different gear/weapons don't alter the look of your characters...

Warning: Obligatory negative comment to offset the sugary positivity. :p

Meh it's not a RTS like its prequels and it's Early Access. Instant turn off.

I watched Fextra stream the beginning of the game and it looks great. Someone complained that the MC is Mordred, but I like that.

I'm definitely interested in this but the roguelite design turns me off (not being able to reload your game at any point is not something I enjoy in any game).

But maybe it'll be good enough to overlook that design decision.

I'm definitely interested in this but the roguelite design turns me off (not being able to reload your game at any point is not something I enjoy in any game).

But maybe it'll be good enough to overlook that design decision.

There are two modes that I am seeing - Classic and Roguelite:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50878823862_be2c0cb883_o.png

But the classic also says save and load between missions so maybe you are also referring to.

I hate any save game limits in a game. But figured I would try it out anyhow.

Yep, not sure ofc how long missions will be in the later game. The first two story missions are about 15-30 Minutes each. So I guess you should bring an hour or so with you.

I am basically at the opposite spectrum. I recently started playing Phoenix Point and started a discussion in steam forums because there is no option to restrict saving, which to me is more like an excuse for not needing good polish and balancing.
I dont like it if you break the game by using the game's game mechanics like saving, and basically have to set up your own hosuerules to make the game work.
A prime example is the Civilization Games. They are 100% designed around not save/loading. If you just reload after bad decisions, the whole balance breaks down.
Most of the times RPGs go the "middle route" that you can not save in combat. I guess with a mission based game it makes sense to not being able to save in the mission.

I played through the story missions so far and especially like the atmosphere and polish. But the mechanics also look solid for the most part. Just the alignment system doesnt convince me as you basically need to doube down in one direction. If you always switch between "good" and "bad" decisions you will not gain any bonuses from the system.

For me saving is all about time. I might have to get up and stop gaming at any point so anything that prevents me from saving so that I lose any progress I make is a no-go for the most part.

I played through the story missions so far and especially like the atmosphere and polish. But the mechanics also look solid for the most part. Just the alignment system doesnt convince me as you basically need to doube down in one direction. If you always switch between "good" and "bad" decisions you will not gain any bonuses from the system.

Let us know what you think of the game when you have completed it! :)

I've watch bits of gameplay and it seems to me that, except at the very beginning, it's just a string of combats and the story is quickly swept under the carpet. The dialogs that are left seem pretty repetitive too, like "We have some killing to do".

I'm hoping that it's just temporary and that it gets a bit more narrative after the first series of missions, or during EA, but it doesn't seem to be that type of game - I may be wrong, I haven't played it. The atmosphere seems pretty well rendered and the combats well polished.

Only played through the story missions and will only continue at release as I am not a fan of sinking tons of hours into games before release:

Regarding story: The general idea is quite intriguing: You are basically playing a zombified version of a dead Modred and you need to kill a zombified version of Arthur. In the Story there have been several dialogues so far. Nothing too fancy and the dialogue options don't lead to any different outcomes. Besides of that you also have a choice to do after each mission which does change your alignment.

This is a tactics RPG and I think the game will be primarily a series of combats and being a bit of a mixture of Blackguards and Darkest Dungeon. The idea of blackguards wasnt bad, but imho the execution was terrible as the combats were mostly puzzles, there were several bad game mechanics and a huge portion of RNG in it. King Arthur doesnt seem to have these issues.
But yeah, it seems to be as combat focused as Black Guards, Darkest Dungeon or maybe Jagged Alliance and XCom.

Our country's designers only shined during the making of fantastic Nexus: Jupiter Incident.

I worked with the above team, years after they made Nexus. I don't know about a famous designer compatriot, but its possible - if he / she exists -, she was snatched by some AAA studio, like EA or Ubisoft and left the country. :( This might explain why the Knight's Tale story isn't so great. :)

Operencia, which is imho one of the best, if not the best crawler so far, is also from Hungary. So there is that ;)

I found Operencia average at best.

However, I just realized this game is from the same developer that made King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame 1 & 2 and also Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr, so my interest just went up significantly.

Back
Top Bottom