Should I buy a PS4?

I own a PS3 and a PS4, totally happy with them, so my advice is… don't buy a PS4. It seems to me if you get it you will just add new games to your 1500 'to play' list. Spend money on a new hyped game, maaaybe put it on and check it out for a couple of hours, and never play it again.
As for the monthly fee question, it's called Playstation Plus and you need it if you want to play online. Costs about $45/year and gives you 2-4 free games each month that you can only play while you're subscribed to PS+. These games are usually indies though once in a while you get a good game. I mean for $4/month it's worth it if you actually have time to play the games, but I suspect in your case it's just 2-4 extra games to the 'to play' list.

Last edited:
I really, really enjoy my PS4. I had some deal where I got a separate charger for free. Really nice to have. You can stream Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc through it also. It's a great system.

I don't understand why some people are haters. I play on PC, Mac and PS4. It's a great time for gaming.

You're mixing hating with refusal to accept paying for an obvious inferiority.

I've never really analyzed consoles hardware, but it wouldn't surprise me if it still has to rely on fast inv. squareroot code instead of one fast CPU instruction. On phones such approximative function is a must as it's 3-4 times faster than an actual computing it with CPU. Etc etc.

Dunno about you, but I lived in days when we needed tricks to make an illusion that PC (and Apple's IIc etc) hardware is faster and precise than it really is. It was interesting, it kicked arse, it was spectacular and it felt ingenious. But over time our hardware evolved so much that does stuff faster without necessity to waste time on developing a method within a code to hide inferiority. This allowed us to concentrate on exploring other stuff instead of mundane functions. Yea, AI is still horrible. Hair, in plenty of games, too. Soon it won't be.

Instead of being studied by enthusiasts and researchers, should I say historians, fruits that dropped from the old tree are now (ab)used to sell junk.
Oddly enough in this story, while some of use use just one sword and don't complain on different weaponry in games, you're using both PC and console while having a problem with switching between iron and silver sword. :p

Hardware aside, there is something worth hating. It's not the inferior hardware (you can't hate a fish for not being a shark), it's not platform specific designs (you can't hate checkpoints when a platform has no space to save the worldstate at any time).
It's certain publishers that artificially keep products locked on a platform godforbid it ever gets ported on something else. Dare to emulate when after a decade or more publishers don't make a prot themselves, you get ceise and desist notice immediately.

Last edited:
I went ahead and got one. I'm not usually "excited" about my gaming - I still like gaming a lot, but I don't feel the excitement that I had when I was a kid. When I realized that the idea of getting a PS4 and a few games sounded really fun, I figured I had to get one. Plan to get MLB the show 17, HZD, Last of Us and Infamous (because it was cheap) in the short term, want to get the Uncharteds soon, and Nioh and Bloodborne eventually. Hopefully there will be some more exclusives in the future. thanks for everyone's feedback!

I went ahead and got one. I'm not usually "excited" about my gaming - I still like gaming a lot, but I don't feel the excitement that I had when I was a kid. When I realized that the idea of getting a PS4 and a few games sounded really fun, I figured I had to get one. Plan to get MLB the show 17, HZD, Last of Us and Infamous (because it was cheap) in the short term, want to get the Uncharteds soon, and Nioh and Bloodborne eventually. Hopefully there will be some more exclusives in the future. thanks for everyone's feedback!

One option you may consider is getting Gamefly (if you're in the US). I have it and get 1 game at a time, which sort of forces me into playing it to the end (or return it if I don't like it). With the 1 at a time option (think it's like $16/month) you play about 2 games a month giving 1 week to finish a game and 1 week mail turnaround, or the 2-game option (for like $24/month) and you play about 4 games/month (no turnaround time since you have the next game in hand).

Until this year, there was virtually nothing on PS4 I wanted to play. I have a backlog of PS3 games a mile long. Maybe wait until Nioh, Nier, Horizon, etc, release with their DLC before considering reinvesting. I love the PlayStation brand, but this gen has been lacking in fresh oxygen, for me at least.

Back
Top Bottom