I need a laptop, but not for gaming.

A larger capacity drive should already be inherently faster. But a ssd is cheap enough now that I always recommend it. 70 euro for 256gb

Yep. First thing I would do here, too. Rip out the HDD and put in a nice, fast, silent SSD :) .

I've never upgraded a laptop. Is it as easy as upgrading a desktop? I don't even see how to open the outer shell.

I'm happy with it so far. Windows 10 boots in around 15 seconds, and everything is pretty snappy. It's also very quiet.

My only complaint is that I'm getting occasional ad popups in the lower right. Not sure if they're from Windows 10 or something Asus installed.

Upgrading the HDD of a laptop is even easier than with a desktop. You just unscrew one lid on the backside, unplug the old drive, plug in the new drive, screw the lid back on, done :) .
The only thing you might have to pay attention to is whether the HDD/SSD is a 1.8" or a 2.5" drive but the documentation or Google should provide the answer rather easily.

My only complaint is that I'm getting occasional ad popups in the lower right. Not sure if they're from Windows 10 or something Asus installed.
Windows notifications.
Press magnifying glass (to get it disable spyware called Siri), enter "notifications" then click on "notification and action settings", disable them one by one.

Reinstalling the OS, creating user account(s), reinstalling other apps, resetting all your settings to your liking, copying files over. That's 90% of the job.

Just clone the drive. Works perfectly.

I used the utility that came with Samsung's evo. But anything should work

The last format I did I noticed not everything deleted out of my Registry. So I went and spent the time to delete everything in it. I sure miss the days when they didn't try and mess with your system.

Just clone the drive. Works perfectly.

I used the utility that came with Samsung's evo. But anything should work

I did the same with Samsungs utility. Everything has been working perfectly.

Do not touch the registry. Do not even think about it.
Do not use CCleaner to "fix" registry. Never ever.
Do not use Microsoft's RegClean that's dangerous enough they've never put it as any enduser util. Never ever.
The only reason to touch registry is if you caught a virus that can only be removed by editing the registry. In that case, which will be superrare, okay, go regedit.

If you're about to install junkware on your PC just to see what it is about, force a restore point.

Oh the registry is not that dangerous as long as you dont delete or change things randomly. I do changes in mine somewhat frequently as theres alot of neat things you can do from there. Just make a backup and your good to go.

It's not dangerous when you know what you're doing and what damage you can cause by "mistreating" it.
Btw I'm editing registry on daily basis (work) not over a huge network. If I screw it, no backup will help me when the target PC is phisically hundreds of miles away. Thus my suggestion on not to experiment with it.

Back
Top Bottom