Krater - Review Roundup

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Here's a small review collection for Krater, courtesy of the official site. These are all positive considering the source (obviously) but do act as a counterpoint for some of the other reviews we've posted:
ctrlaltelite - 8/10
The Controller Online - 8/10
Invision Community - 4/5
Gameindustry - 4/5
A sample from TCO:
One of the big selling points of Krater is its size and scope, with over 200+ quests, 60+ locations and randomized dungeons and events. It’s a big game and will keep you busy for quite a while. Adding to the size of the game are random encounters while you are travelling on the world map, which resembles one you may find in an old Final Fantasy game. When you leave a town you will enter the world map and are free to roam around and explore from a zoomed out state. As you explore you will encounter areas that are populated by enemies, and at that point the map zooms back in and you are free to explore that area for loot and fight any enemies that you find. It’s an interesting feature and another reason why Krater isn’t just another run of the mill Dungeon Crawler.
More information.

I just can't consider a game with only 2 skills/player a crpg. It sounds more like an arcade game like Gauntlet. Not saying it's a bad game, just not what I'd consider to be a crpg. Did anyone play all the way through this and like it? I might pick it up one day if it's in a bundle with some more robust games. I do love the sound of a large playing area, but if I don't have any skills to increase, what's the point?

I started it, played for a few hours, and was terribly disappointed and gave up. The tone seemed all wrong (it's bad humor that is, well, just bad), the game system wasn't that good (limited customization and such as noted), and was there even a story? It actually does play kind of like an RPG-lite Gauntlet. The large world only appears large. Maybe things happen to open it up? I dunno, maybe I didn't play long enough. I am going to let it sit a while and go back to it.

Back
Top Bottom