Here is an example why iPad can handle complex PC games

By the way, read the comments here:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/07/deus-ex-the-fall-isnt-a-mobile-cash-in

This is how ignorant your fellow so called hardcore gamers are. They think there is no difference between a phone and an iPad or tablet when there clearly is. They are so uneducated they even talk about not wanting to buy an iPad than about phones the next paragraph lol. The screen real estate, power, battery life, etc. all make the esperience as different from an iPad and a phone as it is between the wii and the iPad.

I would consider not talking about the ignorance of other people, if I were in your position.

Actually there is if you even own a tablet. For instance there is way morroom for icons and better controls and your ingers wont get in theway of the vision and they can even add difiders and still have enough screen for actual gameplay. Not to mention the battery life is so good you can game all day and the iPad has many exclusive. By your logic there is bo difference between a 3ds and the ds and the ps4 and ps1 outside of maybe graphics.

If you think there is no difference try playing baldurs gate on the iPhone. Oh thats right, it doesnt exist. Did you think there is a reason for that?

Baming in generalis all similar and relative if you think about it. But the bottom line, whether it is graphics or surround sound or screen real estate. It "feels different." Its a new experience.

Baming in generalis all similar and relative if you think about it. But the bottom line, whether it is graphics or surround sound or screen real estate. It "feels different." Its a new experience.

I fully agree, baming in generalis is totally relative! Yeah, no way around it!

AI doesn't your ipad have autocorrect? I have to put extra effort before mine will allow me to type the word 'baming' (it just keeps changing it to 'naming')

Or - is it ever possible - you're... not actually using an ipad?!...
No! I'm too shocked even thinking that such a possibility could exist... It would be the ultimate treachery!

Can we sum up the thread:
- the iPad has the technical capability to produce complex* graphics and run complex* games ... but there are very, very few games that could remotely be described as meeting EITHER of those criteria that are not just ports of older PC games ... and none of THOSE are RPGs.
- *the graphics and physics engine capabilities of the most recent iPad are on par with an 'Ultrabook' with a dual core ULV chip and last-gen integrated chipset. Which means it can play X-COM, etc ... but in 'low end graphics' mode. And the iPad is not as powerful graphically or in terms of complex math as either the X360 or PS3.
- The iPad does best with games intended for 'point & click' style of interfaces - 'Run & Gun' does poorly.
- Even with 'point & click', themechanics of the touchscreen are based on 'fat fingers' rather than precision mousing.
- Getting to 'greatness' in an iPad RPG will require a new paradigm - because anything else will simply scream 'this would be better on the PC'.

There are definitely good games introduced on the iPad such as Ace Combat, Star Command, Ravenmark, Leviathan, etc ... but none of these are in the RPG genre, and there has yet to be what I would describe as a 'system seller' game.

In other words, the iPad is NOT something you seek out for the purpose of gaming, but rather something you get for other reasons and then play games on. The massive compromises required to get 10+ hours of battery life into an ultrathin device that has solid general performance and multi-touch capability without burning your hands and while only costing as much as a video card directly impact performance.

As a contrast, the reason my primary laptops are Retina Macbook Pro and Alienware rather than a Macbook Air and a HP Ultrabook is that I sought out gaming-worthy capabilities in my laptops. And there are many here who still use desktops to get an even more powerful machine.

Well, he doesn't game on it, as evidence of how many games he wants us to tell him about.

So why would he type on it.

- the iPad has the technical capability to produce complex* graphics and run complex* games … but there are very, very few games that could remotely be described as meeting EITHER of those criteria that are not just ports of older PC games … and none of THOSE are RPGs.
- *the graphics and physics engine capabilities of the most recent iPad are on par with an 'Ultrabook' with a dual core ULV chip and last-gen integrated chipset. Which means it can play X-COM, etc … but in 'low end graphics' mode. And the iPad is not as powerful graphically or in terms of complex math as either the X360 or PS3.
- The iPad does best with games intended for 'point & click' style of interfaces - 'Run & Gun' does poorly.
- Even with 'point & click', themechanics of the touchscreen are based on 'fat fingers' rather than precision mousing.
- Getting to 'greatness' in an iPad RPG will require a new paradigm - because anything else will simply scream 'this would be better on the PC'.

There are definitely good games introduced on the iPad such as Ace Combat, Star Command, Ravenmark, Leviathan, etc … but none of these are in the RPG genre, and there has yet to be what I would describe as a 'system seller' game.

In other words, the iPad is NOT something you seek out for the purpose of gaming, but rather something you get for other reasons and then play games on. The massive compromises required to get 10+ hours of battery life into an ultrathin device that has solid general performance and multi-touch capability without burning your hands and while only costing as much as a video card directly impact performance.

As a contrast, the reason my primary laptops are Retina Macbook Pro and Alienware rather than a Macbook Air and a HP Ultrabook is that I sought out gaming-worthy capabilities in my laptops. And there are many here who still use desktops to get an even more powerful machine.

That's a reasonable "sum up" of the INTERESTING part of this thread - and not the largest part of it. I won't get into who's responsible for that last part, though ;)

I remain sceptical about the iPad vs HD 4000 chipset until I've seen some numbers - but other than that, I largely agree with what you wrote.

Do note, however, that no matter what paradigm they're going to use and no matter how great an RPG they may some day come up with - I'm 99.9% sure it would be SIGNIFICANTLY better on PC or whatever the future will have that resembles a PC.

- the iPad has the technical capability to produce complex* graphics and run complex* games … but there are very, very few games that could remotely be described as meeting EITHER of those criteria that are not just ports of older PC games … and none of THOSE are RPGs.
- *the graphics and physics engine capabilities of the most recent iPad are on par with an 'Ultrabook' with a dual core ULV chip and last-gen integrated chipset. Which means it can play X-COM, etc … but in 'low end graphics' mode. And the iPad is not as powerful graphically or in terms of complex math as either the X360 or PS3.

There are definitely good games introduced on the iPad such as Ace Combat, Star Command, Ravenmark, Leviathan, etc … but none of these are in the RPG genre, and there has yet to be what I would describe as a 'system seller' game.

That may sum up how you feel about the Ipad but it doesn't some up this thread at all.

To sum up the thread: the Ipad is the single greatest gaming device on this plant and anyone gaming on anything else is ignorant and doesn't care about comfort. Oh yeah, and laying in bed with your Ipad is great.;)

AI doesn't your ipad have autocorrect? I have to put extra effort before mine will allow me to type the word 'baming' (it just keeps changing it to 'naming')

Or - is it ever possible - you're… not actually using an ipad?!…
No! I'm too shocked even thinking that such a possibility could exist… It would be the ultimate treachery!

AppleIntimidation is a blonde…

Attachments

• apple.jpg
    apple.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 33
That may sum up how you feel about the Ipad but it doesn't some up this thread at all.

To sum up the thread: the Ipad is the single greatest gaming device on this plant and anyone gaming on anything else is ignorant and doesn't care about comfort. Oh yeah, and laying in bed with your Ipad is great.;)

Ewwww, iPad sex. Does it have a vibrator?

Haha ... all too true ...

As for different interaction paradigms, I think that remains to be seen but for everything I could think of I pretty much agree with you. Think of Arx Fatalis and tracing runes with a mouse ... THAT would be better on a touchscreen - but playing the rest of the game would be much worse.

Back
Top Bottom