Avernum 3: Ruined World - Released

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Avernum 3: Ruined World has been released on Steam to a 10% launch discount.

About This Game

The conclusion to our hit indie fantasy trilogy! Avernum 3: Ruined World is an epic, indie fantasy role-playing adventure with many hours of gameplay. Explore an enormous world that evolves as time passes. Towns are destroyed. Refugees flee. Disasters happen.

Your people long to escape from their underworld prison, but the surface world is being destroyed. Fight plagues of bizarre monsters and win your freedom. Enjoy an intricate tactical battle system with multitudes of abilities, character traits, and unique magical artifacts.

Avernum 3: Ruined World features:

• Epic fantasy adventure with over 60 hours of gameplay. Explore an enormous underworld and a huge surface continent.
  • Rich game system with over 60 spells and battle disciplines and a multitude of beneficial character traits to choose from.
  • Well over 100 towns and dungeons, which change as time passes. Cities crumble as the monster plagues advance.
  • Fight to save the world. Or don’t! Do odd jobs. Be a bounty hunter or merchant. Buy a house.
  • Unique races and settings make Avernum different from any adventure out there.
  • Over 100 side quests and hundreds of magical artifacts.
The story of Avernum 3 is self-contained, and previous experience with Avernum games isn't required.
More information.

Awesome! Day 1 purchase but I need to finish Age of Decadence before getting stuck in. Really looking forward to playing this though.

Exile 3 was my favorite of the original series. I found the story to be the most compelling of the series.

I enjoyed playing it again when it was released as Avernum 3 the first time. I'm not that excited about replaying it for the 3rd time though, even though I know the story will be enhanced.

Yeah, a remake of a remake - I can't say I find it too interesting.

Unique to any other game out there except for exile and avernum that it updated....

Still playing the enormous Escape from the Pit. I need a giant map. If I have one criticism I'd say I'd like an overview map that updates as its discovered. And not the mini map, a dedicated screen. Back tracking to an isolated shed or cave is becoming a chore. Its just HUGE

I don't know. He has all the data in the mini map. He just needs to expose an annotated map as you explore. It would be massively helpful. Heck I forgot where a major fort was last night and gave up and googled. What would be idea is an overland map with major places statically noted and allow user notes such as "cave with barrier". I know I've left stuff behind I could easily get now but its hopeless trying to remember everything.

Yeah I agree that it would be good to be able to add notes to a map. I ended up taking paper notes when I played Crystal Souls because of how much stuff I missed in the first one by losing track of which caves I hadn't been able to fully explore.

If you have the previous games in the series, check your Steam inventory - you should have received a 20% reduction coupon to use when you buy the third one. There hasn't been an announcement about this as far as I can tell so it's easy to overlook!

I remember back tracking being an especially big problem playing Avernum 1 (the remake) on hard. The way the fights were scaled it was very rare that I could just go into a dungeon and clear out the whole thing. There might be 4 fights that I could clear when I got first got to the dungeon, 4 more that I needed a few more levels before I could clear, and 2 that I wouldn't be able to clear for a long time. So I'd clear the easy fights in five different dungeons, then I'd be high enough level to back track through them all and do the medium fights, and then again for the hard fights. I really enjoyed the challenge of it, but it was a weird way to play, and it really diluted what little story there was to what you were doing.

Avernum 2 on hard I remember being a bit more focused, it was more story heavy and less about just killing whatever gave you xp and loot. I still found plenty of things I couldn't deal with right away, but I felt I could experience the story more without constantly having to stop what I was doing to level up.

Well, backtracking in Avernum games is always a thing. Be it enemy strength, lockpick level or the nature skill. Personally I am using a second PC/screen to take notes all the time. It's not really a "must do" but I like to leave nothing behind.

Loving the game so far (played 13h yet, disclaimer: got a free press copy) and the biggest issue I got with the game again is the lack of music. For youtube I am using a playlist of Incompetech/ Kevin MacLeod royalty free music, which "does the job" but of course original music would be much, much better.

Yes, the music thing sort of speaks to my frustration with the enterprise. I actually don't have any problem with the idea of remakes - in fact, I like the idea of classics being updated. I would just like to see the advancement of the updates go further by the third iteration, at this point.

I think I read somewhere that he's going to Kickstarter a new engine for his next project and it will be a new game series, so you might get your wish!
(Unless I just dreamt that.)

Edit: aha not a dream but not definite:
https://www.rpgwatch.com/articles/jeff-vogel-interview-293.html
And his website says the next game will be a new series.

Excellent! I was about to start Avadon 2, but Avernum is a much superior series IMO, so I'll start this instead.

Anyone have an idea how large this one is? Avernum 2 was massive, as it added that large underworld that you had to explore (to investigate the cause of the magical barriers), as well as the original (slightly altered) world of Avernum 1.

As I mentioned before, I think that he will profit from kickstarter massively due to how he works. He is independent and uses lots of recycling.

So every $ he is able to spend, he can re-use over and over with future projects.
Also he is more dynamic than most other companies.
So he could just use kickstarter with a goal of 3000$ for example and invest that additional money to buy some music, sound effects or sprites which he can use for all future products.

If he wants to start up with a new engine though it would become much more complicated as he'd basically need to repurchase most of the graphic on top of needing the engine itself.

Excellent! I was about to start Avadon 2, but Avernum is a much superior series IMO, so I'll start this instead.

Anyone have an idea how large this one is? Avernum 2 was massive, as it added that large underworld that you had to explore (to investigate the cause of the magical barriers), as well as the original (slightly altered) world of Avernum 1.

I spent 159h on Avernum 1 and 137h on Avernum 2 which would suggest that Avernum is smaller or easier than Avernum 1 (or both).

He mentions 50h of playtime on Avernum 2 and 60h of playtime on Avernum 3 on steam.

So that suggests that this is slightly bigger than Avernum 2.

In any way, it should be pretty similar in size to the other Avernum titles.

I’m pretty certain that if he did a Kickstarter he could raise a few hundred thousand. He has strong credibility as a designer and many people enjoy his strong writing. I’d certainly back any Vogel project.

I’m pretty certain that if he did a Kickstarter he could raise a few hundred thousand. He has strong credibility as a designer and many people enjoy his strong writing. I’d certainly back any Vogel project.

As long as he doesn't go 3D. Please don't let him go 3D.

Back
Top Bottom