Encased - Steam Page Up

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Encased now has a Steam page which lists an Early Access release date of Q1 2019.

- Old-school isometric RPG;
- Sci-fi and post-apocalyptic setting;
- Turn-based combat system;
- Single protagonist with companions;
- Story campaign of approximately 30+ hours long with significant replay potential;
- Dozens and dozens of side quests to adventure;
- Gigantic open world via the global map with about 200 handcrafted locations to explore;
- More than 75 unique random encounters.

Story premise

The events of the game happen inside the Dome – an artificial construction of unknown origin. The Dome is indestructible. Technology, items, and relics can be extracted from it, but people who enter the Dome are not able to leave it. Beneath the ground yet more mystery awaits, as the Dome is just the tip of an enormous complex hidden beneath the sands. These ancient underground labyrinths contain artifacts, weapons and AI systems that control the complex… not to mention lethal traps and dangerous anomalies that guard the riches.

Research and exploration of the Dome are conducted by staff of the C.R.O.N.U.S. Foundation. To the outside world, little is known about the inner workings of C.R.O.N.U.S. Those that sign up for a life within the Dome do not speak of their experiences, and those managing the Foundation from outside speak even less. Thanks to the powerful artifacts extracted from within the Dome, C.R.O.N.U.S. have become powerful enough to hold sway over the leaders of the world. Now, the fate of the entire planet rests in the hands of the soldiers, businessmen, scientists and even criminals who comprise the ranks of C.R.O.N.U.S.
In the end, the Foundation’s political machinations led to nuclear war, the echo of which was heard inside the Dome. All communication means with the outside world were lost, and another power has now arisen – something that explorers never faced before. An intelligent entity has awakened in the depths of the underground complex, causing death and destruction. Within the Dome, the survivors will have to build a new civilization upon the ruins of the old one, and the player’s character is among them.

Combat

• Encased combat is inspired by classic, tactical turn-based systems, with a grid overlay, action points, cover system, special abilities, various ammo and damage types, many different resistances, and more!
  • The player has direct control over his character only. You will manage the behavior and tactics of their your henchmen but their specific actions will be guided by the game’s combat AI system, introducing funny and interesting situations into your battles.
  • There are dozens of weapons to be found, many of which can be stripped and upgraded.
Enemies and Creatures

The world of the Dome has from its discovery been a place full of weird creatures and dangerous traps. There’s no telling what lies around the next bend in the road, or inside the twilit cave, or beneath the murky waters of the swamp. But who knows? Perhaps humans are the biggest threat in this bizarre land.

Maelstrom

- Impacting the narrative
Maelstrom dominates everything, its telepathic rage sowing chaos in the minds of everyone trapped under the Dome. But the player, having “freed” the entity, enjoys a special relationship with it. The two of you have regular interactions, and Maelstrom may even grant “wishes” to the player... but be warned: every call for assistance will eventually incur a price.

- Impacting the gameplay
Maelstrom’s power grows stronger the closer you move to the heart of the Dome, and that is exactly where you must go to find the answers. There is a special stat influencing interactions with Maelstrom: Psyche. Resistance to Maelstrom’s negative effect can be developed in several ways, and develop it you must before you may venture deeper into the Dome. There is also a special skill branch related to Psychic abilities.

Factions

Following the devastating events of Maelstrom’s release, CRONUS splintered into multiple other, often warring, factions. The world has changed while you were in stasis, but has the nature of Man?
Trapped inside the Dome like spiders in a jar, these factions will show the worst and best of humankind. Will you join them, or strike out on your own?

Each faction has two unique endings. Likewise, there are two endings for those who choose to go it alone.

Justice System

If the player chooses to commit crimes against society, he will incur penalties to his reputation, and earn titles ranging from ‘Petty Thief’ to ‘Enemy of the State,’ or even ‘Threat to Humanity.’

Crime begets punishment. The player may be fined, imprisoned, and even executed. Luckily, there are several ways to deal with your arrest: bribe judges, organize a jailbreak, or return alive from the Labyrinth of Death (this last one may be particularly challenging).

Global Map

The Dome is huge and for the most part is an open sandbox (if you are able to resist the psychic presence of Maelstrom). The map consists of more than 170 sectors, each carefully planned and handcrafted. There are abandoned bunkers, black caves, the complexes of the Forefathers, as well as wastes, swamps and other biomes.

Random Encounters

Random encounters have been a standby of the old-school role playing game since the dawn of the genre. But Encased will bring them to a new level. Each encounter is a separate post-apocalyptic story, not just a bunch of critters attacking you. Want to participate in a game of Russian Roulette? Find a pathway through a deadly anomaly to find a rare relic? Defend an automated rail transport from raiders? Or end up a victim yourself? All this awaits you, in addition to more classic encounters like fighting bandit scum and haggling with caravan traders.
More information.

Some new screenshots but the trailer still has no game-play.

Attachments

• Image (1).jpg
    Image (1).jpg
    66 KB · Views: 103
  • Image (2).jpg
    Image (2).jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Image (3).jpg
    Image (3).jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 96
  • Image (4).jpg
    Image (4).jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 95
  • Image (5).jpg
    Image (5).jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 98
  • Image (6).jpg
    Image (6).jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 10
Yeah, it seems like they're trying to con people into believing there is a game here. Dunno.

Hopefully they're saving gameplay footage or even a playable demo for the KS. That might actually be a good marketing move… If they're actually releasing to EA within 6 months they should have plenty of content to show now. The concept sounds decent and it's something I may have naively backed years ago on concept alone, but I expect more these days.

Unfortunately I'm a sucker for any game inspired by Fallout 2, so I'll probably be backing this game no matter what in order to participate in the beta/early access. Everything they've said has checked the right boxes from a conceptual and design perspective, which is something few games have ever managed to do for me.

By the way, I'm liking the concept art and world map

crab_steam.jpg

Hlishi10_steam.jpg

monkey6_steam.jpg

malestorm_steam.jpg

ezgif-4-3205f833c9.png

Seems really cool…but i dont like the idea of only being directly in control of one character. I probably would have bought this if it wasnt for that…

Seems really cool…but i dont like the idea of only being directly in control of one character. I probably would have bought this if it wasnt for that…

Really depends...I liked how it worked out in stonekeep. But I also remember how frustrating it was in Fallout. Having to see the AI doing annoying things...

..still...wishlisted.

Obviously I'm going to back. Design looks awesome. How could anyone not like a gorilla in futuristic armor? And I love that map interface. Also:

*There WILL be gameplay in the Kickstarter* according to the lead dev.

I understand not getting your hopes up, but complaining about something you haven't seen seems a little premature, dare I call it… CODEX TALK!!

Last edited:
Probably to no-one's great surprise, I'll remain a little skeptical for now. Some nice digital sketches, but those are ten-a-penny, and I'd like to see some solid evidence they've done more than rented a media space and ordered in the lattes. :p

I understand not getting your hopes up, but complaining about something you haven't seen seems a little premature, dare I call it… CODEX TALK!!
No I call it being human which means were imperfect. :cool:

I'm also getting tired of Bandwagoning on certain games on the internet. By that I mean a percentage of the internet always defending games that are not even released yet.

So I'll wait for the game-play video then decide. As I'm only human and it's called life experience with the various crowd-funding games over the last eight years.

Alrighty then. Best of luck, lads.

I backed it as well. The Fallout influence is strong in this game.

I backed it as well. The Fallout influence is strong in this game.
They had some early game-play in the video that reminded me of fallout also. So what the hell I'm backing just for a digital copy, and so the waiting game begins again.

On a side note you can tell this game is still in the early development phase.

On a side note you can tell this game is still in the early development phase.
One way you can tell is when the Lead Dev says the game is in the pre-alpha stage.

One way you can tell is when the Lead Dev says the game is in the pre-alpha stage.
Man there is Just no way of pleasing you.

I already backed the damn game so shoo away.:mad:

Back
Top Bottom