The TV Series discussion thread

Just so you know Origin is now available on youtube red (renamed into youtube premium) and we can't have enough of sci fi shows, right?
https://www.youtube.com/premium

Yea, geoblocking sux, so VPN if it doesn't want to take your money. ;)
YT red promised to expand into 100 countries, but got stuck somewhere so it's available in:
Australia
Austria
Belgium
Brazil
Canada
Chile
Colombia
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Ireland
Italy
Japan
Luxembourg
Mexico
Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Peru
Portugal
Russia
South Korea
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Ukraine
United Kingdom
United States

So far the show has some mixed user reviews:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7801780

As I have other things on my list (except pr0n!), can't dive into it right away but would appreciate some input.

Dragon Prince - did anyone try this one?

MV5BMjA5MjEwODU1MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzk0MzA5NTM@._V1_UY268_CR9,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

From one user:
Trying to explain how playing Dungeons and Dragons to my 8 yr old was difficult for him to understand. But after seeing this show he was excited to play. This show is a great example of how a D&D adventure would be animated. 1st level character only knows one spell and not that well. They have to learn and practice to gain experience. They need to ask and search out answers from locals to move the story forward. Magic is slowly introduced. You don't feel like you have to read a manual to discuss the way the world works.

Sadly I can't do anything before weekend but an input from someone who checked it already would be nifty… :(

I watched it and liked it. I think it is from the same guys as Cora and avatar which I really like. At least the same art style.

Not much time to collect my thoughts on it but it is definitely for children. Simple story, simple characters and interaction.

Watched my first episode of Mr. Mercedes. Verdict: pretty outstanding if you like detective-horror. Opens with one of the nastiest, most violent scenes you will ever see in a television series thanks to the twisted imagination of Stephen King. Will watch more.

I've finished season 1 of Kidding, the new tv series that sees Jim Carrey working again with the mastermind behind The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, which was amazing.

And the new series is … pretty good. It's kind of slow burn, but I love the themes and message it tackles. Jim Carrey is great as Mr. Pickles. I recommend it if you want a more cerebral and emotional ride.

And it's great that HBO-GO bought the rights to show it off. So I didn't need to get a new subscription.

MV5BZmU5YmIzMWQtNTRmYS00NWFmLWFkODctYTAzYjQ5ODM1ODllXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxODk2OTU@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,666,1000_AL_.jpg

Kidding had an excellent first outing. There was so much stuff going on, particularly some really minutia that you could easily miss, that I was never bored watching it. I look forward to the next series.

I … am currently following a rather exotic series Метод aka Method. If there were no certain cheesy scenes characteristic for russian cinema (awkward chase through woods for example) this thing would have been a masterpiece. Came close though.
One more thing, the story summary on imdb is partially misleading bullshit.

If this gem is not airing on some channel available in your area, it's available (legally) on youtube however without any subtitles, so if you don't speak russian, try with fan made subtitles. If there are any, when I say exotic it also means rather unknown outside of it's country of origin.
No, I don't speak russian, so don't look at me. If i did I'd translate this to english myself, it's that good. Yes I know grammar police would be on my trail after that? ;)
Noticed that this show is available on Netflix with english subtitles (when did that happen?), probably not in all areas but you can check it via link:
https://www.netflix.com/title/80166471
If you can watch it please give it a try. I promise you won't be disappointed.

If it's not available in your area on Netflix and you can find fan subs somewhere or if you speak russian, it's legally available at Serial's youtube channel. Here's the playlist (no subtitles included there):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYuflXJYI4U&list=PLkWF5HzBeoSeXoYmHmHLBuVfIHN2lmL3M

Last edited:
Down to my last episode of The Haunting of Hill House. Is this a limited 1-season only series? Gee, I hope so. Or at least make it a seasonal anthology series like the much inferior American Horror Story. HOHH is simply outstanding. If they continue with recurring characters in another season it really can't go anywhere but straight down, and over the shark tank into creative oblivion.

Hill House is story finished. If there will be another season, won't be around the same family(es).

I've watched the first three episodes of My Brilliant Friend, and it's pretty good. I think it is set in the fifties, in Italy, and it is a tale of two young girls that go to school and pretty much grow up together. I'm not certain how many episodes in total there are, but the first three have been quite good.

If you are looking for explosions, heavy mobile use, or running gun battles, steer clear, haven't seen any of that yet.

Binged first two seasons of Мажор aka Mazhor.
What's that? Another cop procedural.
Who cares about cop procedurals, all are the same old same old, right?

Well this one is quite unusual. It's russian and it's very different from all others I've seen and I've seen a lot. You won't be seeing Hollywood's top models and plastic as main roles here. Normal people are cast as characters and every single role including sides are unique and crazy.

The show could confuse USA viewers because the main character's name is Igor and wtf he does not look like Hunchback of Notre Dame or Frankenstein's monster. Well Cold War is over, no reason to monsterize a simple name.
That very same Igor is a son of an oligarch (russian filthy rich person) and after his numerous spoiled brat menaces his father tries to set him straight by pulling strings so he joins the police.
There, nothunchback Igor will notice a report his mother's suicide was suspected a murder and will start digging. This leads to unpredictable consequences and just partially ends in season 1 thus I couldn't stop and watched season 2 immediately after. Not surprising again at season 2 end when everything clears, the show introduces even bigger "conspiracy". :D
Of course, besides the main arc each episode contains a separate case to solve and I find them all very interesting.

It's not all awsome ofc, there are some "holes" to notice. Some might be poor translation issue, but for example there is a case when two sit in a car to reach a point where suddenly four emerge out. Another example is cuts and bruises healing overnight. Okay okay, I'm nitpicking.

The show's first two seasons are legally available on Netflix with english subtitles or on Serial's youtube channel without any subs (useful if you speak russian or find fan subs in your language).

The third season just finished it's airing wherever it's premiered, but is not on Netflix nor Serial's YT channel yet. Probably they'll add it at some later date. I did watch the first episode of it (on youtube) but am unsure it's legal stream thus won't link. No english subtitles so it wouldn't help many anyway. Sorry about that.
The case in that first episode of the third season? Someone is stealing tanks. Not actual tanks. But tanks in a MMO. And yes, the police will investigate it! Just when I thought this show can't go more crazy.

I say give Mazhor a chance.

----
Need some music with pumpin' for your car? Grab the club remix from this show:

Last edited:
Stop the presses!

Watch the trailer closely and look who's back.
No airing date, only "around christmas". I want it now!!

2WEI toxic cover link is not working. Here's the correct one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL7IRngzIdk

Sadly, I don't think BBC America plans on airing these new episodes until next year.
Not sure about that, it's still possible both BBC America and Netflix air it immediately after UK premiere.
If it doesn't happen and you can't wait, ask @Couchpotato; if there is another solution. :D
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7801780/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Overall good but the 2nd half of the season is less interesting.
Can't agree. The 8th episode kicks some serious arse. I'd marry Fionnula Flanagan right now. Plus, the whole episode turns the most disliked character of the show (at least for me) into a proper human being.

But the show as a whole has it's fails.
- It's okay to see the past of each person in each episode, but it's done poorly, better shows use the same "trick" for characters where one of them will die in that episode and you need to guess which one (watch Juuni Taisen for example).
- Press a "mysterious" button to see what it does before exploring everything, do you play RPGs in that order?
- Eventually we do discover the origin of alien life. But how did the ship get "infected" exactly? I mean noone can get AIDS from thin air. In this case though, from vacuum.
- The ship got abandoned cca a week before reaching destination. What's with escapepods? Frozen in space? Or have enough power to reach the destination - only to hear the message from the last episode… WTF?
- Surviving vacuum without a suit (the jump scene)? That guy is superman.
- The "disinfection" process goes 1 by 1 ring. For what exact reason? Even if we take it as something acceptable, then why "the probe" wasn't docked on the ring that will be "disinfected" first?
etc etc

Not saying the show is not fun. It is, but… Could have been much better.
My verdict?
Don't watch it now. Youtube Red will soon become free for everyone (with ads): https://mashable.com/article/youtube-originals-free-premium-strategy/?europe=true#H6rIASmRAmqD
When it does, don't miss this show when you're in need for some scifi fix.

There's always other options available to watch TV shows.:ahoy:

Never got around to watching Voyager (beyond maybe 10-15 episodes in total) - so I'm trying to force my way through it right now.

It's not as bad as I remember it to be, but it certainly isn't TNG-level Trek.

When it comes to Voyager, I disliked all episodes with Naomi Campbell. There was one with some holodeck character I plain hated - I usually point at it as the most horrible episode of all sci fi shows ever made.

Plenty of episodes I thought of as mediocre, but sometimes out of nowhere an episode would prove itself as top notch psychological analysis material on nearmasterpiece levels. Sadly, it was a TV show so it couldn't be more brave, but well.

Here's one example I'll never forget - probably Dartagnan's nightmare as that ain't dickneeded Bioshock :D

Back
Top Bottom