The TV Series discussion thread

just finished S3 of Narcos. I thought it started very slow and a bit weak, but after episode 4-5 wow..

didnt realize that the Spanish talking "rat" (main guy of this season basically) was a Swede until i heard him talk english lol.. "that's definitely a swede!" at first sentence, and to no surprise it was..

Don't mean to rain on any parades, but I think Cobra Kai fell apart during the last third of the first season.

Definitely worth watching for the nostalgia trip, though!

It's possible, I've only watched 8/10 episodes so far and they've been good so far.

Last edited:
It's possible, I've only watched 8/10 episodes so far and they've been good.

Keep in mind that I'm a demanding person when it comes to television :)

But there's a few things that brought it down for me, including one very significant and completely out-of-character moment that was just awfully written - forcing a certain series of events into play.

Also, they very nearly went in a certain direction that was very pleasant and very unexpected - and then they went and ruined it :(

But but… to each his own :)

Meh, if I trusted you on TV series I'd probably never watch anything. Not even Forbrydelsen was good enough for you and it's practically flawless. The original, not the silly remake.

IIRC the only show you didn't slap with anything was Hollywood's Memories of Murder ripoff under another name with that guy from Cheers I'm alergic at. Maybe I'm wrong though, maybe that was JDR.

I'm very fond of Forbrydelsen S1 :)

Other than that, though - it's pretty devastating to hear these harsh words :(

Yea, sorry, I'm trying to remember what was the name of the show and couldn't. Then I couldn't even remember the name of that actor I refuse to watch anything with him, my brain blocked. Selective memory. Your words.

So I searched cheers on imdb then from there… The show you were impressed with was titled True Detective. IIRC. Again, maybe I don't remember correctly, maybe it was only JDR. All I know I refused to watch it.
No, this ain't my review: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw4060490/

Yea, sorry, I'm trying to remember what was the name of the show and couldn't. Then I couldn't even remember the name of that actor I refuse to watch anything with him, my brain blocked. Selective memory. Your words.

So I searched cheers on imdb then from there… The show you were impressed with was titled True Detective. IIRC. Again, maybe I don't remember correctly, maybe it was only JDR. All I know I refused to watch it.

Well, the first half of True Detective was fantastic, but the second half was sort of... ok.

Second season = meh.

That said, you'll find that people are a little more complex than what they happen to like - not least of which because there are many ways to like even simple things :)

People are simple, not complex.
Even those that appear erratic just have a specific trigger, although sometimes not obvious. For example going aggressive occassionally because of one simple thing - hunger.
Which reminds me, recent movie, russian, with an erratic character, watch it because Hollywood doesn't know how to write such characters any more:

Don't mean to rain on any parades, but I think Cobra Kai fell apart during the last third of the first season.

Definitely worth watching for the nostalgia trip, though!
It's possible, I've only watched 8/10 episodes so far and they've been good so far.
Binged all 10 episodes. Nothing falls apart. It gets upgraded.

Beautiful show without any nostalgia - not only popularity and hating is now moved onto phones which are basically criticized, there are more tidbits about phones like "confiscating" a phone now means being grounded. Not just original characters but the society itself grew up yet there is still space to develop characters more and analyze what stinks in modern world.
A sort of missed opportunity was not giving enough time to the evil schoolgirl that's supposed to be a "manipulative bitch" and to the son who's so spoiled he must have all the stupidest consoles and gadgets but not PC. Nothing huge though, it's 10 halfhour episodes so something had to be cut away.

The only people who won't like this show will be those who don't understand swearing onscreen for purpose of humor. Just as I don't understand how words from fictional characters can insult someone. Oh and drawing a certain thing, cmon, even nuns wouldn't be surprised, it's 2018. but seems some people are bigger nuns than actual nuns.
Everyone else will love it, that includes me.

Watch this gem, asap.

Don't worry, people usually don't realise they're wrong about the quality of shows with a great premise and beginning, that can't maintain it, until after the 2nd or 3rd season ;)

The concept is great - and they actually maintained it for longer than I thought. But near the end, it's clear they will have a hard time progressing this notion of the "bad-ass teaching" coming back in style.

It's sort of like what happened with the Death Wish or Dirty Harry movies. There's really only so many ways you can approach this - and they all end up in the same place.

Huh? I'm not quite sure what are you talking about. What badass teaching? This ain't supposed to be a clone of the movie (thus no nostalgia). Nor dead poets society nor mona lisa smile. Nor, if we'll go into strictly martial arts, drunken master duology.

But this is interesting. I posted the other day my brother recommended me the show. Cobra Kai. At the same time (table) his friend recommended me Death Wish, but not the original - instead he was talking about some silly remake from this or last year. I was like wtf. They all know I can't stand remakes, especially remakes of movies that don't need one.
Death Wish with Charles Bronson was a small gem and done deal. Everything later was just low quality milking that people for some reason didn't ignore. Thanks to those same people that can't recognize there's no milk left in the tit, we're now seeing numerous Transformers movie sequels.

You're already starting to see the pattern :)

Some ideas have meat on them and are worth exploring, others are shallow and ultimately silly. They already slipped up with that nice kid's transformation - because they couldn't do it in a plausible way.

But let's see how the next season turns out :)

What nice kid? I didn't see any nice kid in this show, only a few who pretend to be nice. Some did the charade better than others, the kid with the lip "imperfection" for example makes an interesting dealing with complex case and I love what they did with that character.

If by nice you mean nice looking faces from a few cute kids pushed up in front because Hollywood makes only "cutes" as mains, they're expendable. Plain cannon fodder of different sides where it wouldn't surprise me if they're dropped completely from season two. They're all Lydia from Skyrim. Be there and look good, block the doors a few times and that's it.

Aren't I always?

I'm not really enjoying the show, there is a risk of receiving wall of text as reply and I'm not fond of that stuff so I have to be careful and that takes much of fun away. Hopefully others will enjoy the show's current state.

Happy to see more watchers enjoying Cobra Kai. Really fun to see where they will take the series in the next season. It is always a pleasant surprise when a tv series can surpass one's own expectations. I wasn't expecting much, but imo they nailed it. :)

As for which series I've watched lately… I really enjoyed the terror which was mentioned here few pages ago.

I thought i would love The Terror, it has everything that i should love, especially the setting and theme.. but none of the characters grabbed me, so anonymous and boring, neither did the story itself (on paper its awesome and the actual history of the real event is very interesting, i've watched documentaries about it). Maybe it gets better (watched 3 episodes i believe, i've taken a long break from it.)

Gonna give Cobra Kai a shot.

Well didn't know about Kobra Kai so thanks for the info. Now just one small problem I am not paying for another streaming service on YouTube. So off to find a streaming site.:biggrin:

I'd be interesting in watching Cobra Kai as well, but it doesn't seem to be showing on any channels in my area as of yet. So, I'll hope some channel picks up on it later or I'll grab the dvd from the library when it's released.

Cobra Kai strikes me as nothing more than a nostalgia driven cash grab. I haven't watched it nor do I plan to, but I just can't imagine it being something I'd like. I'm a little surprised it's even gotten as much attention here as it has.

On a positive note: Season 3 of Preacher is upon us. :)

Back
Top Bottom