The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Since Talking Heads was brought up in a Wasteland 3 thread, here's:

pibbur who may not be a government man, but he is employed in a public IT company.

David Byrne & St Vincent

Who

I went to Harpeth Rising this evening.
Had a wonderful evening. Great unique sound, lovely voices. I do hope these young American women come back soon.

Chamberfolk: Three classically trained musicians playing original music, as intricately arranged as a string quartet, lyrically rooted in the singer/songwriter tradition, and wrapped in three-part vocal harmonies reminiscent of both Appalachia and Medieval Europe. Building from the tonal depth of the cello (or is it a bass?), layer in the shimmering sounds of a violin and the strikingly natural addition of banjo to create a sound at once familiar and impossible to categorize. Unapologetic genre-benders, Harpeth Rising fuses Folk, Newgrass, Rock and Classical into something organically unique.

The three musicians each hold classical performance degrees from some of the most venerated schools in the world: Indiana University, Oberlin, Eastman School of Music. But their classical background is only one dimension of this trio’s powerful musical voice.

Here's Providence. The track on the CD and life performance sound better btw, the video below lacks balance and sounds a bit hollow. But could not find a better video of this great piece of music. :)

Oldie but a goodie (probably a re-post)

You just watched the Dutch progressive rock band Focus with flutist Thijs van Leer and guitarist Jan Akkerman.

In 1973 Akkerman was chosen 'Best Guitarist in The World' by the readers of the UK magazine, Melody Maker.
[…]
He also played alongside Alan Price, Herman Brood, Peter Banks, Phil Collins, Jack Bruce, Charlie Byrd, Ice-T, Paco De Lucia, and B.B. King.
[…]
In 1991 Akkerman was also a part of the Night Of The Guitars II European tour organised by Sting and The Police manager Miles Copeland. The tour featured Ronnie Montrose, Saga's Ian Crichton, Robin Trower from Procol Harum, Dave Sharman and Laurie Wisefield.

I think I listened to that years ago while out of my tree in my mate's attic. Good times.

I'm glad to say I'm not old enough to remember much of '73. :)

But I have seen Akkerman a couple of years ago. Acoustic.
I have seen Harry Sacksioni too. Also acoustic.
I loooove acoustic guitar. :)

I'm glad to say I'm not old enough to remember much of '73. :)

I hadn't been invented in 1973, but my space cadet friends and I preferred this sort of thing to the electropop of our time.

Back
Top Bottom