Fallout 4 Bethesda - Sued for $1 Million

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Well it seems Bethesda is being sued for a trademark violation this time.

Link - http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2017/07/bethesda_owner_zenimax_is_being_sued_over_fallout_4_ad
Cast your mind back to the year 2015, just before the launch of Fallout 4. The video that we've embedded above was one of the game's main advertisements, and we happen to think it's pretty cool - especially for a live action ad. However, almost two years later, singer and songwriter Dion is suing Bethesda parent company ZeniMax Media over the commercial's use of his music.

According to The Wrap, the 77-year-old musician reckons that his song, titled The Wanderer, shouldn't be used to help sell such a product. Basically, Dion's argument is that the ad features "repeated homicides in a dark, dystopian landscape, where violence is glorified as sport," and he doesn't want his work associated with that.

Ignoring the fact that he's a bit late to the party with this one, Dion supposedly seeks damages in excess of $1 million due to "potential loss of goodwill from being associated with the immoral images". Yikes.

The lawsuit also reads "the killings and physical violence were not to protect innocent life, but instead were repugnant and morally indefensible images designed to appeal to young consumers." Words which have, rather unsurprisingly, annoyed fans of the open world role-playing release. ZeniMax, meanwhile, is yet to comment.
So poetic justice for the various ZeniMax Media's lawsuits, or just pure bullshit?

I would have assumed that Bethesda bought the rights for the music? Perhaps Zenimax breached the agreement with said "repugnant and morally indefensible images?"

Funny aside: just two days ago I stumbled onto the trivia that Blizzard filed a lawsuit against a Hollywood studio some years back for looking to release a Vin Diesel movie named "El Diablo". The studio subsequently changed the title to "A Man Apart."

Well what did he expect when he sold it to Bethesda?

Post Morrowind, their games/worlds/exploration went entirely in direction of "discovering" "goofy", cartoonish encounters and places, with little substance or sense behind it, and violence being solution to everything.

F4 end note was a pure stroke of genius. The good general/protector of Commonwealth teams up with raiders ( that he was busy keeping away from attacking his settlements) so that they could together kill his own settlers, and then the raiders could become settlers.

It is, in a nutshell, Itchy and Scratchy video game experience.

Attachments

• vMuQCeD.jpg
    vMuQCeD.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 81
So, the guy who can't keep a job and the guy who has been working for the same company since grade school. I think I know who made it big....

So, the guy who can't keep a job and the guy who has been working for the same company since grade school. I think I know who made it big….

The one that makes more money of course.
As 23th Rule of Acquisition goes: "Nothing is more important than your health...except for your money."

[obligatory Bethesda criticism]

So I just reinstalled Fallout 3. The writing in this thing feels like a magnum opus compared to Fallout 4.

Wait, was that criticism or praise for Bethesda of yesteryear? Shit.

[obligatory Bethesda criticism]

So I just reinstalled Fallout 3. The writing in this thing feels like a magnum opus compared to Fallout 4.

Wait, was that criticism or praise for Bethesda of yesteryear? Shit.

Real question is why would Drithius reinstall F3 despite all the merciless Bethesda bashing?

Going by memory, the writing in FO3 was just as bad if not worse than FO4. I don't play those games for the writing though.

Megaton NPCs are actually quite decent. It certainly doesn't compare to New Vegas, but when the other end of the spectrum is four mind-numbing dialog choices that are all the same, it's hard not to be better comparatively.

It's hard not to smile at Moira Brown's writing or even someone as simple (and batshit nuts) as Nathan.
LdlBN20.jpg

That has to be a modded playthrough, looks actually a damn lot better than any char in F4.

Moira Brown equals a bad anime dub. Or those kid shows that explain 1+1=2.
Maybe whoever made her thought the game is supposed to be a parody.

EDIT:
I'm so distracted today it seems…
Posted without adding an opinion.

Sure, do sue Bethesda for broken games and whatever stuff they just refuse to correct. But trying to cash in a music score because the game is "not fitting your own moral dilemmas"?
This is bullshit.

Last edited:
The one that makes more money of course.
As 23th Rule of Acquisition goes: "Nothing is more important than your health…except for your money."

Tell that to Steve Jobs.

Yeah, I hated that Moira character too. Then again, I find most Fallout 3 writing to be rather terrible.

Aw, I like Moira from Craterside Supply. Still, the voice acting overall was pretty bad. F4 is an improvement, but still not a strength for Bethesda. Big games need incredible amounts of dialogue to not feel empty and it's hard to find enough quality v.o. peeps. I assume we'll get better voice acting the same time we get multiple-stage child bodies, so every kid doesn't look 11 years old.

Back
Top Bottom