|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Kickstarters » The legend of vox machina

Default The legend of vox machina

March 15th, 2019, 14:26
Critical role, the notorious RPG lovers who share their passion through streaming platforms have been involved in a crowdfunded project to put into an anime the adventures of the critical role band of players.

It is not too late to support RPG and RPG streaming.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects…ina-animated-s
--
Backlog:0
ChienAboyeur is offline

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

#1

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,437
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

Default 

March 15th, 2019, 15:46
Streaming? Whatever…
Cut out the bear and I'm in. Means, it's not happening any time soon regardles of being too late or not.
--
Toka Koka
joxer is offline

joxer

joxer's Avatar
The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#2

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19,947
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)

Default 

March 15th, 2019, 17:04
Holy shit, they got over $7m USD already?
5 people gave $25k?

--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer
azarhal is offline

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

#3

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,118
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

Default 

March 15th, 2019, 21:38
That is a crazy amount of funds raised within a very short time. Not something I'm interested in myself but man, they must have some kind of loyal following.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#4

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ormond Beach, FL.
Posts: 8,627
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

Default 

March 15th, 2019, 23:14
Looks like no Tiberius / Orion despite being a prequel to stream
Drithius is offline

Drithius

Drithius's Avatar
Laughing Gnome

#5

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 4,575
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Default 

March 20th, 2019, 17:03
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
That is a crazy amount of funds raised within a very short time. Not something I'm interested in myself but man, they must have some kind of loyal following.
I've been amazed by how popular they are. Apparently there has been a big spike in the popularity of D&D and some of it has been attributed to the popularity of their show.
fadedc is offline

fadedc

SasqWatch

#6

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,733
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default 

March 20th, 2019, 18:16
I mean, if I had four to seven buddies that could reliably meet, I'd love to try to recapture those days of the seventies, eighties and nineties again and play board games or pen and paper ones. But….to watch others do it??? Uhm no, I just don't get the interest in that at all.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#7

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ormond Beach, FL.
Posts: 8,627
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

Default 

March 20th, 2019, 18:35
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I mean, if I had four to seven buddies that could reliably meet, I'd love to try to recapture those days of the seventies, eighties and nineties again and play board games or pen and paper ones. ButÖ.to watch others do it??? Uhm no, I just don't get the interest in that at all.
For the same reason some people watch television. To experience a story. That's not to say that all people on the show are particularly interesting to watch, but the DM is a first rate storyteller that encourages some crazy scenarios. And a couple of the players are amazing - like a gnome bard shapeshifting into a triceratops and rampaging through a guard-filled house to create distraction.
Drithius is offline

Drithius

Drithius's Avatar
Laughing Gnome

#8

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 4,575
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Default 

March 20th, 2019, 18:55
$7 million?!! Each to their own, of course, but I really don't get the appeal of this. Just strikes me as a bunch of irritating exhibitionists doing improvised ham radio. This kind of zany, cartoony, over-acted stuff is far away from what I want in an RPG. It's been a while since I played PnP, but if I'd found myself in the clutches of that DM, I'd have excused myself to the bathroom, and climbed out the window!
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore
Ripper is online now

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Ngikufisela iwela

#9

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 7,704
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)

Default 

March 20th, 2019, 19:38
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
$7 million?!! Each to their own, of course, but I really don't get the appeal of this. Just strikes me as a bunch of irritating exhibitionists doing improvised ham radio. This kind of zany, cartoony, over-acted stuff is far away from what I want in an RPG. It's been a while since I played PnP, but if I'd found myself in the clutches of that DM, I'd have excused myself to the bathroom, and climbed out the window!
There are a lot of different d&d pod/web casts with different styles. It's not completely my thing, but it's more compelling to watch then you might thing. But while not everyone thinks the DM from critical role is the style that they prefer, most acknowledge that he's a far better DM than the average person you might play with in a home group. It's really not that zany or over-acted for the most part, but they do have to keep people entertained, especially the ones who are listening rather than watching.
fadedc is offline

fadedc

SasqWatch

#10

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,733
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default 

March 20th, 2019, 21:38
I actually read the comic books without knowing that this internet show existed. I watched part of an episode out of curiosity. Really, having quality voice actors playing a roleplaying game is a pretty brilliant idea for an internet show. First it gives actors the ability to sort of due a kind of impromptu theatre with a cast of characters, and the Dm (also an actor only sort of needs to give the group an outline of a story) so its an endless story. Also assuming they were poor want to be actors and actresses it gives them a nice revenue source and added exposure. Really I think whoever came up with the idea had a flash of brilliance. Actors+Streaming+an RPG is just a great idea. I could see it work well for something like Vampire:The Masquerade, Call of Cthulu, or Shadowrun, provided you have actors with some actual ability and one of them knows how to run a game.
forgottenlor is offline

forgottenlor

forgottenlor's Avatar
Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor

#11

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 2,062
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)

Default 

March 20th, 2019, 23:59
Originally Posted by fadedc View Post
There are a lot of different d&d pod/web casts with different styles. It's not completely my thing, but it's more compelling to watch then you might thing. But while not everyone thinks the DM from critical role is the style that they prefer, most acknowledge that he's a far better DM than the average person you might play with in a home group. It's really not that zany or over-acted for the most part, but they do have to keep people entertained, especially the ones who are listening rather than watching.
Sure, each to their own, as I say. I did watch a bit of their show, and it set my teeth on edge. I guess I just like a much more restrained, low-key style. To me, that sort of DM-ing, and that kind of exhibitionist style, is just irritating. I'd prefer an "average", boring DM in the local comicbook store, any day.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore
Ripper is online now

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Ngikufisela iwela

#12

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 7,704
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)

Default 

March 21st, 2019, 22:26
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Sure, each to their own, as I say. I did watch a bit of their show, and it set my teeth on edge. I guess I just like a much more restrained, low-key style. To me, that sort of DM-ing, and that kind of exhibitionist style, is just irritating. I'd prefer an "average", boring DM in the local comicbook store, any day.
If you like the idea of watching a game but donít like the more role playing/acting nature of critical role, you could always try adventure zone or dungeon delve. They have more of a playing in the comic book store feel with shorter and more action focused episodes and still good (but very different) dms.
fadedc is offline

fadedc

SasqWatch

#13

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,733
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

March 21st, 2019, 22:45
Originally Posted by fadedc View Post
If you like the idea of watching a game but donít like the more role playing/acting nature of critical role, you could always try adventure zone or dungeon delve. They have more of a playing in the comic book store feel with shorter and more action focused episodes and still good (but very different) dms.
Thank you. I'll have a look for those.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore
Ripper is online now

Ripper

Ripper's Avatar
Ngikufisela iwela

#14

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 7,704
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Kickstarters » The legend of vox machina
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:50.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch