Tower of Time

Zloth

I smell a... wumpus!?
OK, I finally got the game and played a few hours tonight. I've only got 3 hours but I can at least rattle off some basics now?€?

It's truly isometric - there's no spinning the camera in this one.

No character customization. The characters you get will be a certain class with a certain background. Good for storytelling but don't expect to roll up three paladins.

The exploration all takes place in an inverted tower (meaning you start at the top and go down). Move around by holding the left button down on the mouse and pointing where you want the leader to go. Everybody else follows. You can get flavor text by clicking on some things on the map.

I'm still on the first "entrance" level but, if the map screen is any indication, it's going to be a big level! There are teleporters here and there around the map so you don't have to trudge around through empty areas too much. You can see stats on the level telling you how many of its quests you've done, how many battles you've fought, and so on.

You can teleport back to town at any time to get training and do crafting. When you teleport back, you'll be in exactly the same place in the Tower. (So, essentially, it works like a menu item.) The town is in horrible shape at the start but you can fix it up by investing cash and finding blueprints in the tower.

You don't sell your items at all - you dismantle what you don't want for later crafting. I've barely dismantled anything this early in the game so I'm not sure what stuff I'll be able to get.

The combat is fairly unique - I guess its closest to Dragon Age 2. It doesn't take place in the tower map at all, you get plopped into a strategic battle map instead. You get to pick your initial locations within a starting circle then start the battle. There are various spawn points around the edge of the map that enemies will come out of. So far it's only been 1-3 at a time. A bar at the top tells you how many enemies are still to come, which is a lot better than DA2 "surprising" you with some unpredictable number of ambushes every battle.

The combat has a unique slow-on-space style. Instead of flat out stopping, clicking pause makes the game slow down to 5% of normal speed. (You can set that to other speeds, including 0, which would turn it into pause-on-space.) It's been pretty good so far! With pause-on-space you have to go/stop/go/oh no I stopped too late! If things get really hairy with this system, you can just leave it inching along. 5% gives plenty of time to react and plan.

The game is definitely not hard core tactical. You don't have to worry about friendly fire and all your HP/mana come back when the battle ends. There does seem to be a good bit of depth to the combat, just don't go in expecting XCom or Battletech.

I think you'll eventually get 8 characters. 4 can play at any time. There are quite a few skills for each character but each character can only bring 4 (?) at a time.

Saves work anywhere on the map. You can make permanent saves and do a quicksave. I haven't actually tried to save in combat! (Edit: tried it - no saving in combat.)

This is also the first isometric game where I really wanted my 3D Vision. There's a lot of chasms to see in this game!

It's been fun so far! The only bugs have been a couple of typos in the text descriptions.

Last edited:
Ignored it at first, because indie game not on Mac isn't for me. But I finally checked a let's play, and decided give it a try.

When watching the let's play I thought quickly about a party Diablo like, and definitely some dungeon siege 1&2 aspects.

I was very hesitant because of the slow mode without pause but now I read you mention there's the pause option. That's cool.

Any suggestions on what difficulty level to start with?

I'm on normal and it seems pretty easy but I tend to put it on slow-mode and just leave it there until the fight is nearly over.

The slow mode is definitely working very nicely! The problem with pause is that you can't just leave it on pause because nothing will ever happen. You have to pause, then go full speed, then quickly pause again, then full speed again... With the game in slow motion, you've got plenty of time to do what needs to be done without having to switch it off and back on constantly.

I'm down to the second level now and battles have become much more of a thing. The early battles were pretty small so they didn't take long but now fights are taking up a lot more of the game time. Of course, me insisting on solid-slow-mo is a big part of that, too, but I'm starting to think of the game more as a tactical RPG now.

Still definitely having fun!

Is it fun ?

I'm on normal and it seems pretty easy but I tend to put it on slow-mode and just leave it there until the fight is nearly over.

The slow mode is definitely working very nicely! The problem with pause is that you can't just leave it on pause because nothing will ever happen. You have to pause, then go full speed, then quickly pause again, then full speed again… With the game in slow motion, you've got plenty of time to do what needs to be done without having to switch it off and back on constantly.

I'm down to the second level now and battles have become much more of a thing. The early battles were pretty small so they didn't take long but now fights are taking up a lot more of the game time. Of course, me insisting on solid-slow-mo is a big part of that, too, but I'm starting to think of the game more as a tactical RPG now.

Still definitely having fun!

Any suggestions on what difficulty level to start with?

I recommend Hard difficulty if you like challenging gameplay. Epic is impossible to beat. Be it action or tactical gameplay I nearly play all my RPGs in hardest difficulty but not in this game. One of the reasons of it is the linear structure of the game. You can't say lets level up my characters and return. Because you need speciel tomes to level up your characters and there is not enough option to grind.

Also since enemies in the game attack in waves, classic hit and tun tactics in other RPGs become obsolete here. The maps are not huge and crowd control is everything. Otherwise you can easily surrounded by the enemy.

I got this one as a birthday gift a few days ago. I'm still going through the extra content in Disgaea Five, but when I get finished/bored with that, this game might be up next.

Had it. It's $25 now.

P.S. Beware: here there be mimics!

This game really uses the 3D!

It came out this year! I'm pretty far in now but I still haven't gotten all the companions.

From what the developers have said, I wouldn't expect many, if any, patches. The game has been quite solid. There's several typos in the text but nothing bad.

Has anyone had any problems with running this game? After about 20 minutes the screen freezes and the sound becomes a "burring" noise. Have to switch off the power to get control of my PC. Don't get this problem with any other games.

Reported the problem to GOG support.

What I managed to do so far is interesting and undemanding but I have only got to the 2nd level. A game to be played in the odd bits of time like coffee breaks.

I get that but I've been getting it for months with several games - ever since I let MicroCenter mess with my PC.

My experience is a bit different. It's the only game that freezes the screen. The only other problem I have is with Dragon Age: Origins which will crash to the infamous blue screens.

GOG support got back to me and suggest the usual - re-install with admin rights, reinstall the June 2010 DirectX runtime package, install DirectX Web, download latest graphic drivers and disable Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600. Which I did.

The result was one run for 25 minutes and another for 10 minutes. Hmm.

What difficulty makes sense ? I only played a bit with win 10/1070 but no issues with freezes. I would suspect a driver if dragon age origin is also freezing - or perhaps a problem with your disk.

The result was one run for 25 minutes and another for 10 minutes. Hmm.
Ouch, that's going to be deadly in this game. Plenty of battles take over 10 minutes and you can't save mid battle.

Is it installed on a normal hard drive? "You" might be right - it may be time for a chkdisk to see if any sectors are going bad.

When you say other games are fine, what other games? Are we talking Witcher 3 on ultra settings or 10 year old games like DA:O?
@you; - You can change difficulty at any time. I've been playing on Normal but it's been a bit too easy… until yesterday. It's gotten harder now that I have all the characters!

Back
Top Bottom