Pillars of Eternity II - Flopped

Huh, call me highly skeptical. Where's your data for this assertion? I'll buy that the peak sales rate is in the first week, as it is for most forms of entertainment. But the majority of the sales? I doubt it. Maybe you mean small indie game sales?

I'll give an example: D:OS sold 160,000 the first week. That's a few percent of their total sales.

Usually how it works is that when a company does not announce day-one sales figures or cumulative sales for the first three days it’s a telling sign. Basically a flop.

As the most successful games from the last twenty years can make hundreds of millions of dollars in the first week alone, the Publisher/Developer will announce it.

When they don’t analysts speculate that expectations were too high, or something else happened. But if it’s not exactly clear what went wrong they wont admit it.

Anyway I'm not going to make a huge debate out of this as we rarely get solid numbers about the amount of units sold for kickstater games that wasn't from Steam Spy.

It's all guess work but this investor and the linked article prove PoE 2 sale numbers are abysmal and bad for FIG investors. That is the bottom line.

On a side note I personally don't think we'll see many 1-5 million crowdfunding games from any developer anymore that isn't Larain because the well is poised beyond repair.

Update: That is why Denuvo DRM is so popular it protects first month sales. Moving on I don't except these games to sell millions but under 200,000 is not a success since May.

Frankly I'm amazed Obsidian and Inxile are still in business, and not bankrupt. They are not small indie developers, and have over 30-50 employees to pay. So call them mid-tier.

Would be nice to see what it costs to keep them open every month.

Last edited:
I'm using a mechanical HDD and I get load times of around 10-15 seconds in Kingmaker. It has nothing to do with drive speed.

I see a lot of complaining about Obsidian's abilities to make an overall successful game, whether that's sales vs quality, or triple AAA vs niche old school. Wasn't the first POE a success in sales, quality, and old school appeal? What about FO: New Vegas = All four of these criteria? And Dungeon Siege 3 - which I'm currently playing and (gasp!) enjoying. Yes it's linear as fuck but it's got a pretty arcade appeal to it, and well it's a quality product IMO. I don't know if that one sold well, I think Stick of Truth was a big success with a popular IP for example.

On a side note, maybe MS (if this happens) points to D:OS 1 and 2 success as inspiration to have an old school RPG developer in-house to create games like that.

I have never thought highly of Obsidian. They are the nearly men of RPG developers. (Except for New Vegas and maybe South Park, but I haven't played that one)

Obsidian never reached their potential and always released flawed games in one way or another. Chris Avellone is no longer there to save these messes with smart narrative design and writing, and it shows.

Talking industry wide now I think in general the younger developers are hungrier to prove themselves and still have the passion, which is necessary to develop good games. A lot of older developers have become jaded (but not all). The evidence of this is easy to see with the results of Kickstarters being lackluster games.

Unfortunately Obsidian has shitty management and resides in California. Give me young developers from somewhere like Texas or Eastern Europe anyday. And by east I mean east of the UK. Belgium is now an honourary Eastern European country btw :p.

I don't wish to trash Pillars 2. At this point it is like kicking a sad puppy cowering in the corner.

Maybe it's true that Obsidian has never put out any spectacular RPGs, but they've put out a lot that are good or great. I've played every game they've made except DS3 and enjoyed every single one. KotOR 2, NWN2, Alpha Protocol, FO:NV, South Park: Stick of Truth, PoE, Tyranny. (Haven't played PoE2 yet but I'm sure I'll like it too.) I would probably say that NWN2, including its expansions, was their best.

They've made the highest number of good, real RPGs in the 21st century, that's for certain. Only Larian, and maybe BioWare (depending on what you think about their more recent releases), even come close? Well, Jeff Vogel may be ahead, if you count him :lol:

But yeah, I imagine they do need to reduce their costs, making these games in California just doesn't make sense. (That's probably why inXile opened an office in Louisiana…)

Well, it all boils down to taste doesn't it? I didn't enjoy a single Obsidian game I played (NWN2 including MotB, KotOR2 and PoE1).

Also, quantity =/= quality.

Sure, but if there wasn't quantity, then we'd have nothing to play. If you deleted Obsidian's entire catalog from my last 15 years of RPG playing, that'd be a huge hole, definitely a bigger hole than any other company would leave.

Well for me I enjoyed most of their older games such as Alpha Protocol, KotOR 2, NWN2, FO:NV, Dungeon Siege III, and one of their better RPGs Tyranny in my personal opinion.

It's a shame most of those games are considered cult classics except for FO:NV as that game was probably one of the best selling RPGs Obsidian ever made.

Didn't care for the South Park or various MMO games they helped with. All I want to see is another open world RPG like FO:NV that plays to the developers strengths.

In all honesty though the company has been plagued by a bunch of bad decisions, cancelled games, scandals, and money problems for many years. It's a damn shame.

Whew what a wall of text I wrote on this thread today. Not usual for me.:biggrin:

Tyranny was great, one of the better RPGs in recent years. Guess I’m partial to D&D though.

Tyranny was great, one of the better RPGs in recent years. Guess I’m partial to D&D though.
Me to but the setting just clicked with me as I loved being judge, jury and executioner in different ways. Reminded me of the Judge Dread movie from the 90's. Just better.

I am the Law.:biggrin:

Heck even the companions were more fleshed out then PoE, and had good C&C.

Anyway that IP is dead as Paradox owns it and sales were not great. I believe it was somewhere close to 500k, but that wasn't enough Paradox wanted to sell a million.

Sure, but if there wasn't quantity, then we'd have nothing to play. If you deleted Obsidian's entire catalog from my last 15 years of RPG playing, that'd be a huge hole, definitely a bigger hole than any other company would leave.

Sorry, not from my point of view :) I won't miss their games, if anything I don't have time to play mediocre games.

Sorry, not from my point of view :) I won't miss their games, if anything I don't have time to play mediocre games.

Obsidian has one of the highest average review scores across all their games - almost as high as Black Isle but with a far larger number of titles. To call them mediocre discredits you far more than it does them.

That's nice. You go read and believe their reviews then :)

Obsidian clearly has credibility issue seeing PoE2 didn't sell so well.

Obsidian has clearly has credibility issue seeing PoE2 didn't sell so well.

When the hell has sales indicated how good a game is?!?! By your reasoning Planescape: Torment must have been a terrible game!

And I don't need to read and believe reviews. I have actually played and completed every single game Obsidian has ever released. Having said that, Poe2 has critical acclaim from pretty much every review site out there - and is one of the best reviewed games of 2018.

Believe what you will. Both the sales and review aren't always clear indication of quality of the game but the sales will surely affect whether the company will be able to continue on or not.

My very personal problem with this game is simple :

I have to play the first game,
but its setting looks so much depressing and dark in its early parts that I just don't want to play it anymore.

And since I've taken the decision to have to play that game before I can play the second game, I'm stuck.

It's as if you REQUIRE someone to listen to an death metal album BEFORE he or she is allowed to listen to an Enya album. So it feels to me.

I do wonder, though, how many people else have this problem ?

For me best Obsidian game I played was Kotor 2, and it was all downhill from then. All of their games I played (all but DS3, Stick of Truth, Alpha Protocol and PoE2) had something excellent in them but also something really bad. And on average bad has started becoming worse and good parts less so.

My very personal problem with this game is simple :

I have to play the first game,
but its setting looks so much depressing and dark in its early parts that I just don't want to play it anymore.

And since I've taken the decision to have to play that game before I can play the second game, I'm stuck.

It's as if you REQUIRE someone to listen to an death metal album BEFORE he or she is allowed to listen to an Enya album. So it feels to me.

I do wonder, though, how many people else have this problem ?
Of course everyone has the right to choose his own aesthetics. That said, you only think you have to play the first game. It is not necessary. If you really want to play it, just do it.

It is not about liking (streamers enjoyed it) or the quality. It is about sales.
This product did not sell well.

I really liked Alpha Protocol; it wasn't popular and had bugs but i thought it was a lot of fun. nwn2 wasn't too bad; haven't played fo:nv or kotr2 (yet). I can't think of anything they've done recently that has been 'great'. I played poe twice and both times didn't really enjoy it that much - poe2 waiting for the final dlc and patches - probably play it in the spring.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom