Hockey Playoffs 2009!

I think I had 3 or 4 minor heart attacks during that game :lol:.

It seemed like the Red Wings were playing against both Anaheim and the referees in that game, and during the entire series in general.

Crap.

.... that is all.

Crap.

.... that is all.

If it makes you feel any better, I was rooting for Boston. I was hoping to see a Wings-Bruins matchup in the Finals.

Now the Wings are guaranteed a rematch against either Pittsburgh or Carolina, who just happen to be the last 2 teams Detroit played (and whooped) the last 2 times they made it to the Cup finals.

Not that much of a hockey fan, even though I grew up in Philly during the height of the Broadstreet Bullies hysteria, but living in Raleigh today feels pretty good. :)

It will sound like sour grapes, unless you look at last year when I said the same thing - but the whole playoff to regular season ratio for basketball and hockey makes little sense to me ... when you have teams with losing records going to the playoffs, the system is broken ...

It will sound like sour grapes, unless you look at last year when I said the same thing - but the whole playoff to regular season ratio for basketball and hockey makes little sense to me ... when you have teams with losing records going to the playoffs, the system is broken ...

Pro football is actually much worse in that regard. Last year the Patriots went 11-5 and didn't make the playoffs. Yet the San Diego Chargers, who were 8-8, were a #4 seed with home field advantage. Absolutely ridiculous.

Anyways, a team with a losing record making the playoffs is an extremely rare occurrence in hockey or BB. In fact, I don't even remember the last time it happened in the NHL.

Last edited:
Huh? Neither the Habs nor the Quackers were under .500 this year and the Preds and Bruins were over it last year. The Flamers and Isles beat .500 handily the year before that. I had to go back to 02-03 to even get close, when the Isles went 35-34-11-2 and picked up the 8th seed.

Even if we look at division winners getting that 3 seed, it's not overly bad. This year, the western 3 would have been a 4. Last year was worse, but still not disasterous: the eastern 3 would have been a 6 or 7 (I'd have to check head-to-head results) and the western 3 would have been a 4. Three years ago was a little uglier: E3toE5, W3toW6.

I can't speak to fairyball's results, though. I ignore the NBA.

OK, I've tallied up the points off round 2. We still need a ruling on what to do with Geist's late bet. I propose 20% of the available total which would be 5.6 points. Call it 5 and move on??? Since I'm in 2nd place with Geist in 1st, I will not make this ruling solo. So, pending whatever we decide, the totals are:

For the round--
Geist: 12
Corwin and dte: 9
Lucky: 1 (ouch)
GG: dnf

Grand total so far--
Geist 29
dte 25
Lucky and corwin 17
GG 11

Here's the matchups for round 3:
Sidney "Louganis" Crosby and some other guys vs Canes
RED WINGS vs Hawks

For the third round, pick the winner, the number of games, and the total goals scored by both teams. 5 points for the winner, 2 points for the games, 1 bonus point for both. 4 points for closest goal total, 2 points for second closest.

Here's my entry:
Pens in 6, 39 goals
Wings in 6, 34 goals

Rock ya like a hurri-... ok, I'll stop. Btw, txa, I'm a HUGE Celtics fan... going back to the days of Cowens, Tiny, and Hondo Havlicek. So, go Celts!

Canes in 7 , 41 goals ( have to try to recover some space here :p )
Wings in 5, 32 goals

Pens in 7 with 35 goals
Wings in 7 with 35 goals (I'm going for 3/2 in OT) :)

Wings in 5 with 20 goals
Canes in 6 with another 25

let's hope for better than one point this round. I'll take two if you got.

OK, I've tallied up the points off round 2. We still need a ruling on what to do with Geist's late bet. I propose 20% of the available total which would be 5.6 points. Call it 5 and move on??? Since I'm in 2nd place with Geist in 1st, I will not make this ruling solo.
Still waiting, folks.

hmm, he gave the results late right? after one game was already played? that is a kind of dnf :p but since we are nice folks here -6 points would be fine with me.

He's late on this one too!! Excommunicate him!!!! :)

That's harsh, Lucky. Might be a Geneva Convention violation...

Shoot, late on the line change again. My shame and guilt knows no bounds and I am prepared for the harsh penalty that awaits. (though, in my defense, 3 of the 4 teams that advanced from the previous round lost the first game, so the advantage may not be quite as large as it appears).

Wings in 6, 36 goals
Canes in 7, 35 goals

Back
Top Bottom