Kingmaker - Resting with Camp UI

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The latest from Pathfinder: Kingmaker tells us about resting and the camp UI.

As many of you have certainly noticed, almost all our interfaces are full-screen and use elaborate artwork to help sustain the atmosphere. The resting process is special, because it focuses on the party's actions. To preserve the flow of the game, we made our resting interface in the form of a panel. Functionally and practically, the timeline didn't change much. The only thing we added was a watch order. As for current role adjustments, we decided to place them on the panel to the left, which is a mirror image of the main game log. On the same panel, you can see the results of hunting and other skill-checks, and at the same time dialogues between companions will take place on the main screen. Initially we intended to make this stage unskippable, but many of our alpha testers told us they'd like to make the resting process a bit shorter. So, for those among you, who are not interested in camp conversations, we give the possibility to skip this part and instantly turn to further adventure-seeking instead. Our camp interface allows you to focus on the main game screen and logically separates the camping log from the general log.

Interface mockup and camp objects sketch.

And since a video says more than a thousand screenshots, here's one for your viewing pleasure. It's alive!

[...]
More information.

This shapes up quite nicely! Glad I backed!
This might be the best camp mechanics I have seen so far. They are similar to Expeditions: Viking (which is good).

It also seems they can keep their schedule.

I am loving what i see from this game. I was concerned when i first heard about it because i wasn't so sure of the studio. But, have been pleasantly surprised.

Love it! This game is very high on my hype-o-meter list :) Was fun to see how in-depth the camping is but also agree it can be nice to skip sometimes.

Now, that is what I'd call a proper camping for the adventuring party!! :) love how animation shows people preparing food, taking a watch and having a chit chat around the fire, great atmosphere!

That does look like a pretty cool resting mechanic, nice layout.

This camping system seems like a natural evolution of the baldurs gate style to me. These guys have great sensibilities from what I've seen so far. At least in terms of my taste in games.

Fangberry pie again? Did we run out of baked beans?

Better than that "yummy mold" from Nethack ! :D

P.S. : Just watched that video : Wow ! This is how the old "Realms Of Arcania" / TDE games should have been ! Finally found something that fits so well into it !
I really like it by now ! :)
Not sure about the rest of the game since I didn't follow it that much ...

This camping system seems like a natural evolution of the baldurs gate style to me. These guys have great sensibilities from what I've seen so far. At least in terms of my taste in games.
Yeah, what we're hearing on this seems almost in "too good to be true" territory so far. Only downside is RTwP combat, but oh well. Easily my most-anticipated game now with D:OS2 already out.

Well, I hated camping in Expeditions Conquistador (though this does look pretty different) but am still glad to see this is skippable. Listening to their alpha user's and adding this option is more impressive to me than the actual camping mechanics.

I wonder if the need to find space for the arbitrarily large camping circle could become a nuisance, in tighter spaces.

Yeah, what we're hearing on this seems almost in "too good to be true" territory so far. Only downside is RTwP combat, but oh well. Easily my most-anticipated game now with D:OS2 already out.

For me too, the only downside is the RTwP. But I don't think that it will prevent the game to be really good. Even though I rather play a TB game than RTwP, I consider Baldurs way better than ToEE. I do love ToEE TB-combat, but that is not enough to make the game better than BG.

I wonder if the need to find space for the arbitrarily large camping circle could become a nuisance, in tighter spaces.

That large circle is probably by design, i.e. you may not be able to camp wherever you want in cramped corridors in a dungeon, but will have to find a more open space. Kind of smart if that's what they did really, as it makes it sort of like a moving, pseudo-checkpoint system in a way.

That large circle is probably by design, i.e. you may not be able to camp wherever you want in cramped corridors in a dungeon, but will have to find a more open space. Kind of smart if that's what they did really, as it makes it sort of like a moving, pseudo-checkpoint system in a way.

Maybe, but I'd rather they just forbid camping in certain areas, if that's their intent. I think I'd find it rather irritating if I could theoretically camp anywhere, but only if I can find a spot where I can draw my full size kumbaya camping circle without bumping into any corners.

Maybe, but I'd rather they just forbid camping in certain areas, if that's their intent. I think I'd find it rather irritating if I could theoretically camp anywhere, but only if I can find a spot where I can draw my full size kumbaya camping circle without bumping into any corners.

Dungeons will probably have large spaces after several tighter corridors. That's what I meant by "mobile checkpoint" design. But I'm just speculating really based on your comment about the large circle.

Back
Top Bottom