Baldur's Gate 3 - Community Update #1

I for one would love to see D&D games set in older universes like Krynn. Wouldn't mind seeing remakes of Gold Box games as well.

I've said this before, but I'd love to see remakes of the Gold Box games. I'd be happy even if they were just moderately upgraded remasters. I never got to play those back in the day, and they're far too dated for me now.

I'm fine both with RTwP and turn based. It just needs to be well done. If it goes turn-based, there are dozens of different settings that make turn-based successful or not, defining a game as "turn-based" doesn't define much at all.

We'll see how it turns out, there's very little information yet, other than the few big guidelines they showed in the video (player agency, true to FR lore, etc). I find funny though that we're lucky enough to finally be delivered a Baldur's Gate game after every RPG payer that's old enough to remember the original one has been crying and hoping for it across the years for two decades, and now that it's here, some people are wishing WotC licensed games in other settings.

https://fextralife.com/baldurs-gate-3-interview-with-larian-and-wizards-of-the-coast/

Interesting information:
- environmental interactions will play a role
- there own engine will be used in version 4.0 (DOS2 Definitive Edition was version 3.5)
- the trailer hints the tone of the art style
- they are targeting for 100 hours total gameplay time
- classes from D&D 5th Edition with sub-classes
- (there will be Early Access) <-- OK, my interpretation ;)

Explicitly denied to tell anything about:
- isometric view / camera angle
- party size
- Dungeon Master mode
- modding
- other platforms than PC and Stadia

From what was said about a release time frame I'm presuming the release is more than a year away.

I don't see the point of refusing to talk about the camera angle. Is it that big a deal?

The only reason I can think of is that they're doing something that they suspect a lot of people might not like. Either that or they still haven't completely decided on one yet, but I find that unlikely.

Someone is starting to sound more butthurt with each additional post. ;)

I think butthurt people are those who can't enjoy what they have. Lamenting life and all it gives you makes for such a bitter existence.

I'm now picturing a conversation in a fictional RPGWatch 20 years ago.
[VioletSlime]: Damn.. I don't like that Bioware are doing this "Baldur's Gate" game… they're gonan use isometric graphics…
[SofaTomato]: True. And worst of all, they use voice acting and other modern gimmicks to make the game more engaging and interesting.
[VioletSlime]: I just wish we went back to real RPGs… if they are going to make a Forgotten Realms game, it should be Westwood Studios, and it shoudl be text based. I really don't trust this "realistic" graphics and environment thing. If it has to have beautiful environments, least make it a first person dungeon crawler.
[VampireSiren]: Dude.. can't you just try to enjoy the fact that we'll be delivered a great RPG instead of lamenting all that doesn't fit your traditional sense of a RPG and accept the future is great and the past is the past?
[C3P0]: Nobody is lamenting, their concern is valid. The only thing Bioware have done of note is a game called Shattered Steel… the writing in that game is terrible. The narrative is just plain and has so very bad humour. Besides, don't mess with VioletSlime and SofaTomato, they're my buddies in these boards for years, and we'll stick with each other and upvote mutually no matter what we say.
[VampireSiren]: Suit yourself. You're in your right but I don't understand why you have to be so negative about good news. It's as if it hurts you that other people are being optimistic
[C3P0]: Sounds like someone is butthurt.
[VampireSiren]: Sure. I'm the one with an open mind looking forward to play a great game and you're the one who can't enjoy anything in life, but I'm butthurt. Good analogy.

---------

Disclaimer: All characters are fictious and any similarity wit the real world is a coincidence.

Honestly, it was well worth it. I'm still giggling every time I read it. :D

I've said this before, but I'd love to see remakes of the Gold Box games. I'd be happy even if they were just moderately upgraded remasters. I never got to play those back in the day, and they're far too dated for me now.
I haven't played the Gold Box games since they were new, but I don't remember there being any particularly deep stories there. I don't get what the point would be of remaking them. A story acceptable by modern-day standards would have to be created, the maps (exploration mode) wouldn't really translate over except maybe having similar landmarks, and the combat system would probably end up being completely different too. What would really carry over into a modern remake?

I could see remasters ala the Bard's Tale trilogy ones though.

I haven't played the Gold Box games since they were new, but I don't remember there being any particularly deep stories there. I don't get what the point would be of remaking them. A story acceptable by modern-day standards would have to be created, the maps (exploration mode) wouldn't really translate over except maybe having similar landmarks, and the combat system would probably end up being completely different too. What would really carry over into a modern remake?

I could see remasters ala the Bard's Tale trilogy ones though.

I guess I'm probably not missing much then. To be honest, I think the only ones I really want to play are the two Ravenloft games.

That reminds me.. Whatever happened to that remaster of Wasteland 1 we're supposed to get?

I guess I'm probably not missing much then. To be honest, I think the only ones I really want to play are the two Ravenloft games.
Yeah, I don't think you are. You'd have to be specifically into those kind of late 80s games to enjoy them today. Exploration and combat were the main attraction but even those items haven't held up very well imo.

I don't see the point of refusing to talk about the camera angle. Is it that big a deal?

The only reason I can think of is that they're doing something that they suspect a lot of people might not like. Either that or they still haven't completely decided on one yet, but I find that unlikely.

In one of the interviews (I don't remember which one) Swen said about combat, that they don't want to talk about it, but show it.
Could be the same for camera angle.

- they are targeting for 100 hours total gameplay time

Im not sure if this is a good idea at all! I hardly ever finish any 60-100 hours game anymore, most of them start to drag at some point and I lose my will and interest to continue.
It then must be really well written, full of intrigue… something exciting to keep people going, how many of such games we have of late?

Im not sure if this is a good idea at all! I hardly ever finish any 60-100 hours game anymore, most of them start to drag at some point and I lose my will and interest to continue.
It then must be really well written, full of intrigue… something exciting to keep people going, how many of such games we have of late?

This is a good point. It's what keeps me from fully enjoying fully some of the Bethesda games. They start so awesome and fun, then you start getting ten thousand missions, and when you go from one mission to another, you find irresistible landmarks that you MUST explore.. when you want to notice your character is a god and you're 60-80 hours in, you still haven't done that critical path quest you intended to do 40 hours ago but your interest has died out.

It's probably my own fault to do that, but from talking to others, they have the same issue. Maybe long games should remain relatively linear as more freedom isn't always a good thing.

Explicitly denied to tell anything about:
- isometric view / camera angle

Thanks for the info!

The quote above makes me more and more uneasy. Could well be we are not talking TB or RTwP anymore but something entirely else. Hope I'm wrong...

Yes, a HD version of those games could be fun. But if they did a modern reboot, there would probably only enough role-playing elements to remake full series. I.e. the Dragonlance, Pool of Radiance, and Savage Frontier series.

The gold box games did have stories, I guess it would be subjective as to how deep they actually were, but they had them. I found most of them quite compelling back when I first played each game.

Back
Top Bottom