How well funded do you prefer your games to be? - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » Polls & Comments » How well funded do you prefer your games to be?

View Poll Results - How well funded do you prefer your games to be?

Mega Bucks AAA+ 9 14.75%
Noticeably well funded 19 31.15%
Fairly well funded 29 47.54%
Limited 2 3.28%
Struggling 1 1.64%
Cheap and cheerful 1 1.64%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Default How well funded do you prefer your games to be?

March 30th, 2016, 22:19
All other things equal I prefer my games to be as well funded as possible. It would be dishonest to say that production values don't matter, and they are highly dependent on funding. Hence I voted AAA.

Zaleukos

Bum

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

April 4th, 2016, 02:18
To be completely honest I am not interested in playing many games that look and play like AAA games from years ago. That begin said I do check out the odd indie game but for the most part I stay with new and shinny.
--
I can change almost anything… but I can't change human nature.

CelticFrost

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

April 4th, 2016, 11:11
I went with fairly well funded, which I take to mean a few million $ for allpractical purposes for US or European based developers. Like Pillars of Eternity, Torment, Wasteland 2, Bard's Tale IV. Anything beyond that is just going to make people contemplate moving away from a deep single player RPG experience and into more mainstream territory.

Underworld Ascendant could have used a bit more funding for my tastes (more than 1 million) but I understand they have additional sources.

Sacred_Path

Mentioned: Post(s)
+1:

April 4th, 2016, 12:38
Pillars of Eternity, Original Sin, WL2 - that's the level of funding I like. All 3 are literally the best games I have played in years.
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
+1:

April 4th, 2016, 13:50
Actually, I don't care should have been an option. I look for originality of presentation first and that could be accomplished with very little funds (AKA kickstarters Arakion & Bloom). But since I like some voice over and love a lush musical score that does need some bucks. However I have played games that have succeeded without either of those two.

Hence since I couldn't select "don't care", I selected the middle one "fairly well funded."

Dajjer

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

April 7th, 2016, 18:07
i picked struggling… the reason being i think struggling companies make the best games. but really, struggling companies that have really good kickstarters, like larian, etc, and suddenly become the best thing around. so, technically, fairly well funded to noticeably well funded games from struggling companies was what i was thinking.

this is actually totally different from the same funding from a AAA company that is already doing well peddling garbage.

utergatuk

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

May 16th, 2016, 10:20
AAA+ funds goes mainly for promotion stuff, so i guess there is a little difference between them and those fairly well funded for example. Those with less money for advertising have to try to make something different enough for it to be recognise. And that is mighty good. You cant buy love for a game, check bethesda games with fan patch plans before the launch.

Goraidh

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » Polls & Comments » How well funded do you prefer your games to be?