RPGWatch - We Are Back

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
It took some time, but we are back again. We have lost some information though.

I have been able to restore the backup from the 17th of July. This basically means we have lost everything from that day onwards until last week Sunday when the site went off line.

I plan to restore the articles that were created in the time up to now and still need to fix a few things as not everything is running as it should, but at least we're back :)

If you want to know more details, check out the comments for this post.

More information.

Sunday the 28th of August I was made aware by people that we were sending out SPAM. I checked this, but from the information provided to me (e-mail headers) I could not trace this back to the RPGWatch server. An RPGWatch account was listed as sender, but this can be spoofed. Still, I decided to block outgoing mail for the time being, did some other stuff as well and rebooted the server.

Looking back, I should have made a backup first, as the server became unreachable after that.

There are several ways to access the server, including a serial interface, but none of them worked. So calling customer support of the provider was the only option left. That took some time, phone calls and even Twitter interactions.
Let's just say that you do not need to be very skilled to work at customer support and you certainly do not need to listen to your customer. All you need to do is hear that it is problem X and my paper says that means solution Y.

Quite a bit of frustration later the provider found out that the motherboard was defect. I mentioned to them that I'm not interested in a working server as I already has an other server I was working to get operational. All I wanted was to have the data between the 17th and the 28th. Again there was no reason to listen to me, they replaced the motherboard and in the process also re-installed the default software (Linux, Apache, etc.) on the disk, removing all other data that was on it.

There was supposed to be a job running that did a daily backup to a separate backup server and that worked as I have regularly checked that, but for whatever reason the backup server had no data on it. I don't know why that is and neither does the provider.

So, I do not know if we were hacked and that whoever hacked us made all of this happen or that it was indeed a hardware failure (which still does not explain the issue with the backup server).

When playing the backup back, I also found out that there were some tables in the database that were not correct. These are the following:
- The thumbs-up's below the posts are gone. It works now again though.
- Everything related to the CRPG analyzer is gone and the analyzer does not work either
- The configuration on the home page, which allowed you to filter the posts does not work at the moment and you will have to renew your settings once it is operational.

We are on a new server now and we are not completely done yet, but things are looking better :)

Here is a list of things that I know are not functioning properly yet:
- Posting a PM fails
- Posting a PM to multiple people shows an empty screen, but the PMs are posted. Yet there is no record of that in your sent items.
- The background of the edit box (you use to type a message in) is colored
- Some of the drop down menus have a transparent background
- Being the first to comment on a news post gives a blank screen, but the post is made
- Filtering news on the front page is not possible
- The CRPG analyzer does not work (for those of you who knew we had one).
- Surfing via HTTPS still lists the site as insecure (The keys are ordered, hoping to get them soon).

Last edited:
So glad you're back.

So sorry for all the agony you went through.

This is a great place! Thank you.

__

Ahh, good.
For a moment, I was thinking of switching to those burger flipping hipsters with inflatable lol-dolls ( probably half of them named Bubbles) at codex. :p
The balance is restored.

On the day the server started sending out spam, did you open any files sent to you by Techland or inXile? A press kit maybe?

Woot! Great to see you up and running.

Do we need to resend info for our Divinity OS 2 keys? Or not something effected...

yeah it is back!

now I need to remade that DX MD thread...

I was starting to get a bit anxious! Glad to see this place back up.

During these days I realized how useful is RPGWatch for me.

Thank you for all your work and frustration you must have gone through. I really missed my daily hourly dose of the Watch.

It will take several days to get out of this fetal position and for my left eye to stop twitching, but glad you're back. So sorry to hear about all this server garbage. Feel your pain when working with 'customer support.'

Great to be back....

Now, I have to ask....was the server attacked?

I ask this because we were having a pretty spirited discussion about shroud of the avatar and I know that when people said things about the game before people have been hacked/Doxxed....

Would be interested to know.

Nasty. It must have been a very frustrating week for you guys.

If you're in any mood for suggestions, I'd consider looking into either pull-backups from another machine, or write-only backup endpoints. I like to run home backups of my hosted stuff nightly from a secure share. It creates another potential attack vector, albeit very unlikely, but if the server is pwned, they have no chance of getting at the backups.

It took some time, but we are back again. We have lost some information though.

I have been able to restore the backup from the 17th of July. This basically means we have lost everything from that day onwards until last week Sunday when the site went off line.

I plan to restore the articles that were created in the time up to now and still need to fix a few things as not everything is running as it should, but at least we're back :)

If you want to know more details, check out the comments for this post.

More information.

Welcome back!! How can we help? Do you need us to start pulling cached pages to restore content?

Back
Top Bottom