GPU Price Issues

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
As some of you may know from my previous post on this forum, I was planning on buying a new computer by building it myself (for the first time) at the end of this year.

When I looked at this end of 2017, prices for a high-end computer would have been around £1,000. However, now due to the hike in GPU prices it is getting closer to £1,400.

This is madness!

What are your thoughts on this ?

I have heard that prices from companies that build computers haven't gone up as much, so a pre-built computer might be a better deal at the moment.

Not any kind of tech expert, but general advice is you can always wait. The longer you wait, the better tech you will get, both better and cheaper as well. If some silly "mining" fool's gold bubble craze is going on right now, making things like video cards more expensive, then I'd say that general advice is doubled in importance.

They're expensive to buy but they also appear hold their value. My GPU has literally stayed the same price since I bought it over a year ago.

I don't think we'll see any significant price drops on these cards before there are none left on the shelf and are being replaced with 11xx versions at similar pricing.

It's not just people "mining", the whole AI thing with "deep" learning is also using gaming GPU. I think its likely we'll see even more application for GPUs outside gaming in the future.

Artificial price but sadly affecting everyone. The components are not more expensive, inly the finished product.
They could choose to produce more, but why would you when you can increase profit margins for two years solid? Make up for 2008 era when they were dirt cheap and super competitive. Thats just the business side of me speaking.
Of course I want cheaper cards, but I understand that companies make them to sell.

I think its likely we'll see even more application for GPUs outside gaming in the future.

They are already in increasing use in computational science and engineering - we use GPUs for micromagnetic computations. Nvidia also provide very good development tools and documentation for using their hardware.

As far as I know, they are expensive because those "crypto-miners" use them.
The amount of energy consumed by their greed via those GPUs is currently as large as the whole state of Bulgaria, if I remember that correctly.

fma_2___greed___ling__s_bod___by_insanepiece.png

As already mentioned, one reason for the increase is the cryptocurrency market, which caused a huge boom of graphics card sales.
However:
A: Some Crypto Currencies cannot be efficiently mined via graphics cards anymore and you need ASICs to do so.
B: The market has been crashing massively during the last weeks.
C: IF and WHEN the hype goes down, it might have an opposite effect. Because when that happens all of a sudden the normal vendors have a huge competition by second hand offers of crypto currency miner dropouts. So cards could even become cheaper than they "should be", causing the opposite effect we are at now.

It's speculated that there are also other factors.
Supposedly there is a bottleneck of components which make them more expensive. This might be because they are already shifting to other components, especially considering memory. So this problem will go away again as well.

Furthermore we had a huge boom in PC Gaming in China thanks to Player Unknown Battlegrounds. Supposedly 10 Million link Chinese players. As this game is also quite hardware hungry this might also have increased the sales of graphics cards in china, especially when previously MOBAS dominated the internet cafees and only average hardware was required.

It's very likely that Volta is going to be released this year. This could further reduce the price of hardware. Read this as "it will reduce the money/performance price" instead of "gtx 1070 getting cheaper", as old hardware usually phases out before it gets significantly cheaper. So combined with the previously mentioned decrease of mining boom and switch to ASICs this means that we will likely have a market of decently priced new hardware and tons of last generation hardware on the second hand-market.

So my suggestion is: Don't buy hardware now. If you are using 1080p now, stick to it. Maybe buy a last generation graphics card on second hand market (e.g. gtx 970) if you really need something as your old stuff broke.
If you have enough money though, you might consider going big instead.
Yes, the prices are insane now. But that's "only" for the usual spot of decent price/performance. However you can go, where the price/performance ratio isn't good enough for miners anymore, because these prices are still the same.
What I mean is this:
The GTX 1080 ti should cost 769€. It does cost around 1000€ though. (13,788 benchmark result)
You could however buy a GTX Titan XP instead. Which should cost 1138€ and does cost 1138€ link which results in a benchmark value of 14,884
So if you really have tons of money to spend, that would be another option to actually get a product without being "scammed".

As already mentioned, one reason for the increase is the cryptocurrency market, which caused a huge boom of graphics card sales.
However:
A: Some Crypto Currencies cannot be efficiently mined via graphics cards anymore and you need ASICs to do so.
B: The market has been crashing massively during the last weeks.
C: IF and WHEN the hype goes down, it might have an opposite effect. Because when that happens all of a sudden the normal vendors have a huge competition by second hand offers of crypto currency miner dropouts. So cards could even become cheaper than they "should be", causing the opposite effect we are at now.

It's speculated that there are also other factors.
Supposedly there is a bottleneck of components which make them more expensive. This might be because they are already shifting to other components, especially considering memory. So this problem will go away again as well.

Furthermore we had a huge boom in PC Gaming in China thanks to Player Unknown Battlegrounds. Supposedly 10 Million link Chinese players. As this game is also quite hardware hungry this might also have increased the sales of graphics cards in china, especially when previously MOBAS dominated the internet cafees and only average hardware was required.

It's very likely that Volta is going to be released this year. This could further reduce the price of hardware. Read this as "it will reduce the money/performance price" instead of "gtx 1070 getting cheaper", as old hardware usually phases out before it gets significantly cheaper. So combined with the previously mentioned decrease of mining boom and switch to ASICs this means that we will likely have a market of decently priced new hardware and tons of last generation hardware on the second hand-market.

So my suggestion is: Don't buy hardware now. If you are using 1080p now, stick to it. Maybe buy a last generation graphics card on second hand market (e.g. gtx 970) if you really need something as your old stuff broke.
If you have enough money though, you might consider going big instead.
Yes, the prices are insane now. But that's "only" for the usual spot of decent price/performance. However you can go, where the price/performance ratio isn't good enough for miners anymore, because these prices are still the same.
What I mean is this:
The GTX 1080 ti should cost 769€. It does cost around 1000€ though. (13,788 benchmark result)
You could however buy a GTX Titan XP instead. Which should cost 1138€ and does cost 1138€ link which results in a benchmark value of 14,884
So if you really have tons of money to spend, that would be another option to actually get a product without being "scammed".
Nice analysis but when do you think prices will drop?

:)

I can't afford 1000 just for the gpu... I have saved 1,100 for the whole computer :)

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Hard to say. I think in theory they could already drop right now as the crypto currency values are going down. But it will not change from one day to the other, but will be a process over months.

So I guess a good day to look forward to is also the release of new graphics cards (which is not announced yet either but expected at Q1 2018)

Not any kind of tech expert, but general advice is you can always wait. The longer you wait, the better tech you will get, both better and cheaper as well.

Or not.

For years, the €1000 comp decently running products was more or less checked.
It might turn out different.
Better to be prepared for the €1500 decent comp.
Or play another card: decent comps are not needed as the offer in low grade vid products has surged due to the crowdfunded scene, AAA products suck anyway etc

They could choose to produce more, but why would you when you can increase profit margins for two years solid?
Nope. Wholesale price isn't the issue. NVIDIA/AMD aren't making a dime off the shortages. All the price gouging is done by retailers, and NVIDIA/AMD aren't going to make less cards just so retailers can get rich.

The jacked up prices aren't actually that big of a deal when you consider it applies to your existing card too (which you can presumably sell if you're upgrading). I bought my EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC for $665 almost a year ago, today it's selling on Amazon/NewEgg for $1020-1060 and going used on eBay for $900-1000. In the old days, if you sold a high end video card used after a year, you'd lose a few hundred dollars, now you gain a few hundred dollars :lol: Even if you're getting gouged on the new card, it could come out basically the same in the end.

Or get a PS4 pro for £320 which has all (if you want only gaming), in addition to cheaper physical and digital games than PC (with a second hand option)!

Or get a PS4 pro for £320 which has all (if you want only gaming), in addition to cheaper physical and digital games than PC (with a second hand option)!
And become a console gamer? :puke: Let's not get carried away here.

Cheaper games? Things must be backwards in the UK. ;)

I've always found PC games considerably cheaper than Xbox or Playstation titles. They usually debut at the same price, but the PC versions are almost always reduced much sooner.

Cheaper games? Things must be backwards in the UK. ;)

I've always found PC games considerably cheaper than Xbox or Playstation titles. They usually debut at the same price, but the PC versions are almost always reduced much sooner.

That was also my surprise - just look at amazon.co.uk and pick some recent games and compare prices, console games are cheaper! Hard to believe and we are talking about physical games here. The playstation store also offer many digital discounts that match Steam!

I am not a console gamer or advocate for these, but the price point, physical (huge storage BR disks), convenience, and second-hand options are difficult to overlook.

Back
Top Bottom