Obsidian Entertainment - and Chrono Trigger

Dhruin

SasqWatch
With Obsidian working with Square Enix on Dungeon Siege 3, Siliconera asked Feargus Urquhart which other Square franchise he'd like to do. Various sites (and forum posters) have responded as if Obsidian is actively pursuing this but the idea clearly originates with the journalist:
Since Obsidian and Square Enix have been conversing for some time, I asked Urquhart if there was any franchise other than Dungeon Siege 3 they would like to work on.
Urquhart snickered and sarcastically said, “Chocobo Racing.” He followed up with a more serious response, “If I could come across everything that I played I would have to go with Chrono Trigger. I think Chrono Trigger was one I really enjoyed.”
Thanks, Omega!
More information.

Well, I really think that Chrono Trigger was the pinnacle of JRPGs (maybe aside of FF6).

But I have to say that Obsidian doing a / another sequel doesn't quite ring well. CT was so japanese that a US team doing it sounds rather strange. On top of that you have to consider the strong points of CT and those of Obsidian.

As funny and whacky as the dialogues in CT were - they never were deep and only had a handful of choices to make.

Another Obsidian game - yes, please.
Another Chrono Trigger - yes, please.
Chrono Trigger from Obsidian - no, thanks.

Is it possible that a dev studio's culture can be able to influence the outcome of a game ?

Kind of like … distortion ? (I use this word because I cannot imagine a better one right now.)

Back
Top Bottom