KoA: Reckoning - Trailer

I don't have anything against the style…

And realism in combat isn't something I search for in a RPG, I want character development, C&C, great stories and a HUGE world to explore. So far the only thing that puts me off KoA is that you're supposed to be able to do all quests etc. in one playthrough, and that you can respec, making your choices in how to progress your character less important.

Still a no-brainer for me though.

I wouldn't expect much C&C, but otherwise I think it will be a winner.

To be honest it is quite refreshing to see a new art style and ideas being made into a game.

I agree. I like realistic loooking settings like Skyrim but I also liked the cartoonish art direction of WoW. I also think I'm the only person on the planet who enjoyed the art direction of Zelda Wind Waker.

No wonder I don't come to this board much…I can't afford the meds to be as depressing as most of you are……

Actually, RPGWatch is a great place. Lot's of heated debate but very little trolling and guttersniping. If this place is too rough for you, NEVER go to the codex…

That doesn't mean EA won't have any influence on the project. I also think one of the main concerns is that KoA will use Origin for DRM.

I'm concerned with EA's involvement as well. Mostly concerned with pressure EA is liklely applying as it relates to ship date. EA has never demonstrated that they appreciate the development differences between a RPG and sports game.

I hope the world has some interactive stuff in it, not just a bunch of pretty setup areas for combat sequences.

I ALWAYS hope for this in every CRPG. Sadly this aspect of gameplay is rarely implemented. But I'm still interested in KoA for the features it does claim to offer.

Don' know how you could get a Magicka vibe…

And Diablo clone is pretty inaccurate as well.

Well, they've been playing up the loot aspect. Which, personally, I think is great. Give me tons of awesome and varied loot!

I am going to quote myself for emphasis as apparently someone missed this sentence:

OF COURSE this is based on them being up front about what they are saying. Can't tell till we can actually play.

Of course the game could suck with lame quests, empty filler content and they could be exaggerating everything.

I see no need to be speculate in that regard though hence my somewhat postive approach to the game based on taking what has been said at face value. Of course those folks, and there have been a few of you, that don't like the art style then thats fine … of course if you don't like the style its a turn off to the game overall.

Its just that I have seen posts that seem to be going off a very small amount of exposure to the game and thats what I was addressing. If people want to speculate about whether they are lying or its all PR and hype or just misleading thats fine to; I just don't see any reason to be that pessimistic at this point - certainly not with a new company.

Just a few random quotes from the KOA team that I am, granted, basing some assumptions on:

http://forums.reckoning.amalur.com/showthread.php?1334-Weekly-Community-Q-amp-A-Archive

At any point, you can veer off the main roads that connect the dots of cities and towns throughout the world and submerge yourself into an ominous swamp, wander in the canyons of a red-rock desert, or prowl the massive Plains of Erathell. The vast majority of the areas to explore in the game are off the main quest path, and present their own dangers, stories, and rewards for the intrepid players who strike out on their own.

As for nooks and crannies, the entire world of Reckoning is hand-made. Every rock and bush and blade of grass was hand placed by a world builder, so we had the opportunity to custom build a huge number of places for the player to explore off the beaten paths.

A: With roughly half a million spoken words in Reckoning, VO was an ENORMOUS undertaking.

We started by taking the 900-odd NPCs in the game, and working with the Designers to determine which were so unique or crucial to the story line that we needed to find actors with very signature voices to perform them. Once we had the list of "Unique Voice Types", we created a character bible, and sent it out for auditions. About a week later, we were drowning in great reads for all our NPCs, and the Creative Director, Audio Director, Lead Narrative Designer and I sat down and selected our top picks for each.

A: This is a great question Bossner! Just off the top of my head I can think of a couple things that set us apart. First, I would say that Amalur blends the gritty realism you'll see in popular "dark fantasy" franchises with a stylized flavor that results in a unique combination. A great example of this is the visual aspect of Amalur, where the vibrant blends into the grotesque (the brownie is a perfect example of this). Similarly, the people and their stories are uniquely fantastical-real: townsfolk suffering from the vagaries of war while hiding their own secrets, a husband and wife bickering while crafting the armament of the Alfar army, a newlywed lost in an ancient mausoleum, etc. In order to realize a world worth saving, Amalur was made so vast that it would be hard to give a comprehensive overview in this post.

Suffice to say that we strive for both a breadth and depth of content. As a Narrative Designer, I've found inspiration in as many classical works as I have video games (some of which I know you love as much as I do). The diverse group of developers from all kinds of different backgrounds here at Big Huge also promises a variety of viewpoints.

A: Yes! Neutral wildlife adds a living, breathing quality to our environments. Some are magical, some are more traditional, but each has been crafted to work within the environment they live in. Creatures do attack each other; it’s very cool to come onto a scene and see them locked in battle. It adds a sense that these creatures are engaged in their own storylines and you’re just crossing paths with them. – By Tim "HundredMonkeys" Coman, Studio/Project Art Director

A: Reckoning’s structure is extremely open. The main quest and each of the six factions contains a mostly-linear narrative you can follow, but you can veer off and pursue hundreds of different sidequests at any time. Even if you choose to ignore all the quests completely, the world is ripe for exploration, with all manner of rewards to find (both hand crafted and systemic) for the explorer. - By Ian "Tiberius" Frazier, Lead Designer

A: Yup, there are hundreds of readable books/scrolls in the game. Some are serious, some are funny, some are specifically for quests and some are just meant to give flavor and depth to the world. They range from a cheerful book of gnomish nursery rhymes to a blood-stained suicide note. We’ve also got something called Lorestones that…well, we’ll talk about them more later. - By Ian "Tiberius" Frazier, Lead Designer

Q: What can you share about Reckoning's mission setup? Will it be open-world with fast travel options or some slightly more on-rails? Any details would be great. - By Macstorm

A: Reckoning is an open world game with fast travel. You can fast travel to any location you’ve previously visited, whenever you’re outdoors (you can’t fast travel from inside a dungeon). We try to provide roads and paths and quest markers to help guide you through the world, but if you want to ignore them and wander off into the woods to hunt antelope, there’s nothing stopping you! Want to ignore the main quest and just do side quests for hours? Go ahead. Want to ignore quests altogether and just explore the world for crafting components so you can craft your own gear (and perhaps sell it for a tidy profit)? Feel free! - By Ian "Tiberius" Frazier, Lead Designer

A: The quests of Reckoning run a long gambit in terms of complexity and engagement. As with a number of open-world games, the Main Quest is an important chunk of the world – but it is not the totality of the player's journey through Amalur. In addition to the main quest, the player has access to a number of factions that offer deep and rewarding questlines for the player to dive into. In addition to these, the Faelands have their own microcosms that the player can explore for narrative content: whether it's exploring the political machinery of Adessa or solving the ancient riddles of the Red Marches, there are tons of quests for the player to explore – each with their own stories and characters. – By Thomas "Bentaporst" Murphy, Narrative Designer

Will there be big areas to explore without those paths we saw in the mini-map in the demos? I'm concerned about that, because though we've got an open world, if you only see paths to go, and you can't go wherever you want, it seems the world is not so open… – By alexdeguays

A: The world of Reckoning is made of gigantic areas to run freely through and explore. It's the very heart of our exploration gameplay. We do have some areas that are designed to be tighter to focus the player on a specific place or stage an ambush, or just to simply create a beautiful trail along a river's edge, but you'll always find yourself stepping out of these into open vistas, vast sprawling forests, and more.

From the very first step out of the Well of Souls, the opening dungeon, you're set loose on the world to run through massive plains, deserts, forests, coastlines, and more without anything holding you back. It's incredibly important to us that you have this free exploration experience as a player in a massive open world, so we hope you get out there and explore the far reaches of the Faelands. Come back and tell us what you find! – By Colin "Hugohan" Campbell, Lead World Designer.

Anyhow I could go on. There are also numerous previews by other agencies that have confirmed some of this … while others have disputed some of the statements. I am not going to cut and paste all the previews as they are easy enough to track down.

The end result being its hard to say until the game is played. I happened to love DAO which had horrible marketing IMO.

So I remain optomistic while also keeping in mind that the over the top combat and some other statements bring to question how true the other statements are.

I am going to quote myself for emphasis as apparently someone missed this sentence:
Someone? Next time I´d prefer to be addressed directly, thx ;).
I haven´t missed anything. It should be quite obvious that I wasn´t addressing it as your opinion, but as the devs´ statements.
When devs say there are tons of quests in the game, I have no reason to believe it´s otherwise, but I also have no reason to automatically take it as a good thing, etc.

Of course the game could suck with lame quests, empty filler content and they could be exaggerating everything.
Precisely.

I see no need to be speculate in that regard
I do, probably because I usually don´t take devs´ statements at face value.

Last edited:
I've seen that the game is described as, and I've already posted it:
ACTION rpg.

Please do not take this as trolling. I didn't read anywhere about massive amount of quests so sorry for believing it will be questlacking just because of the word "action". If it will really be full of quests, I'm definetly buying it.

It was clear that it will be an action RPG for months now. I'm surprised that anyone is surprised.

Are there any "pure" RPGs released anymore other than by indie devs?

My understanding is that excluding Arena and Daggerfall, all the games in such hallowed franchises asTES, Gothic and dragon age, etc., are also considered "Action RPGs" - is this not the case?

I guess I'll join the "cautiously optimistic" group, as it appears to have quite a few promising elements. I enjoy action-based combat if it has at least some form of a cerebral side and/or player involvement - meaning that the player can't just win by mashing the attack button Diablo or God of War style (yes, I realize that GoW is one of the influences on combat, but the videos I've seen make it seem like there is more depth than that particular game, and without heavy-handed level-scaling, I imagine some fights will require a bit of strategy and timing). It's a bit too action-y/cartoony/"unrealistic" for my tastes, but at the same time it looks like it might still be enjoyable.

Character-building looks like it has an appropriate amount of depth and flexibility, which is great for a game of this nature. I don't agree with the ability to respec with no penalty or become a "jack of all trades," but this is entirely optional and can easily be avoided.

The few side-quests I've seen in previews actually look fairly interesting in terms of throwing little twists and unexpected events at the player, which is reminiscent of Divinity 2; if this is approach is consistent throughout the game, then I imagine side-questing will be highly enjoyable. At this point it's impossible to tell if the final game will have too many of these non-generic side-quests, but it's encouraging nonetheless to see that the developers are at least aware of how important it is to not simply throw hundreds of mindless fetch quests at the player and call it a day.

What I'm mostly worried about is that the developers seem half-way obsessed with making a game that will please everybody. Simply put, this never works. They can take a page from Skyrim in this regard, which applied a "Field of Dreams" philosophy: "If you build (a great RPG), they will come." Skyrim, The Witcher 2, and Deus Ex: HR proved this year that you won't scare everyone away if you make a game with a fairly high level of complexity, consequences, and challenge. If the game is good enough (and is backed with decent marketing), a high number of people will play it. It's too soon to fairly judge which approach KoA has taken, but I'm a little concerned with how they come across as a bit too "crowd-pleasing."

Another concern I have is the QTE's; I find this an incredibly shallow gameplay mechanic that appears to finally be outdated, yet appears in this RPG anyway. I can deal with optional or minimal QTE's, but KoA appears to have made these mandatory judging from the gameplay videos that have been released. Ah, there's nothing more immersive than mashing a button as fast as you can until something awesome happens…

edit: A later post mentions that QTE's are indeed optional. Whew!

I'm mostly fine with the art direction/presentation, though I wish they would tone things down a little bit (such as the over-sized weapons, shields that appear out of nowhere because it apparently "doesn't look cool" to actually have them equipped, over-the-top finishing moves, etc.). Although I will always have a very strong preference for a more realistic approach, I can keep an open-mind to other styles so long as it's not too ridiculous. KoA is walking a thin line, but I don't find it a huge turn-off, and not every game has to fall exactly in line with my personal preferences to be enjoyable. I do wish there was less flash though…it's almost as if the devs feel that they have to create a spectacle every chance they can in order to keep players interested, and this concerns me in terms of how this will affect the rest of the game's design.

I don't think I'll be able to tell simply from researching different previews/reviews whether I will like this game or not, as it seems that for every aspect that impresses me, there is an equally concerning element that gives me reason to doubt the game's direction. "Fable on steroids" is the lasting impression I have of this game right now, and this isn't necessarily a bad thing; I enjoyed the first two Fables for what they were, and KoA certainly looks like a much bigger, meatier Fable.

Last edited:
First off. what is this C&C that people keeps referring to? Command and Conquer???? Please explain to this long time gamer who now feels like a nube.

Secondly, the cartoon art style does not bother me in the least. I loved Venetica and hope they do a sequel. But all the flash associated with the combat moves has me concerned.

And finally, this game has QTEs?????? At first I was surprised but then I recalled a while back when they were in the initial stages of developing this game, they were talking about making an RPG that had Tekken/ Mortal Combat tendencies. So while the evolution to QTEs seems like a reasonable result, I am now firmly in the wait and see mode

The QTEs are used for one specific (optional) purpose, and only come into play when you want them to. Here's the low-down as I understand it.

When you kill beings, you gain fate energy. The story behind this fate energy is that since you are outside the bounds of fate, killing something means they have died when they weren't supposed to, and that causes some dangling threads of fate that you are able to absorb.

When you have collected enough fate energy (ie, a bar is filled in the UI), you can go into a powerful Reckoning mode that slows time and increases your attack power. While in this mode, you don't kill things, but rather render them helpless, at which point you can initiate a fate-shift kill. It's during these fate-shift kills that the QTE is activated, and mashing a single button will grant you an xp bonus that counts to 25%, then 50%, then 75%, etc, before the move is finally finished. So that's ALL that a QTE provides, is an xp bonus. So it's completely optional. Either you can simply never go into Reckoning mode, or if you do, you can simply initiate the fate-shift kill and then ignore the QTE and just watch the cool animation.

Personally, I plan to do the latter. My biggest concern with big open-world, non-linear games like this is that my completionist nature means I'll likely hit the level cap prematurely, so the last thing I want is bonus xp. I plan to do at least one fate-shift kill against every type of creature, just so I can see the neato effects (it's a unique attack for each creature type), but otherwise I plan to not worry about this aspect of the gameplay if I can help it…

The QTEs are used for one specific (optional) purpose, and only come into play when you want them to. Here's the low-down as I understand it.

When you kill beings, you gain fate energy. The story behind this fate energy is that since you are outside the bounds of fate, killing something means they have died when they weren't supposed to, and that causes some dangling threads of fate that you are able to absorb.

When you have collected enough fate energy (ie, a bar is filled in the UI), you can go into a powerful Reckoning mode that slows time and increases your attack power. While in this mode, you don't kill things, but rather render them helpless, at which point you can initiate a fate-shift kill. It's during these fate-shift kills that the QTE is activated, and mashing a single button will grant you an xp bonus that counts to 25%, then 50%, then 75%, etc, before the move is finally finished. So that's ALL that a QTE provides, is an xp bonus. So it's completely optional. Either you can simply never go into Reckoning mode, or if you do, you can simply initiate the fate-shift kill and then ignore the QTE and just watch the cool animation.

Personally, I plan to do the latter. My biggest concern with big open-world, non-linear games like this is that my completionist nature means I'll likely hit the level cap prematurely, so the last thing I want is bonus xp. I plan to do at least one fate-shift kill against every type of creature, just so I can see the neato effects (it's a unique attack for each creature type), but otherwise I plan to not worry about this aspect of the gameplay if I can help it…

Thank you for the detailed explanation. May I ask where did you read all this description from? I would like to read more about this myself.

I think it probably has the most potential from what I have seen so far. If it lives up to what they want it is the next big rpg after skyrim...I hope I get a fraction of the time I got out of skyrim.

Okay now that the QTE thing was explained, the game has been bumbed up a bit as far as anticipation. Still in a wait and see mode but the QTE thing had placed the game in maybe buy it when it gets cheap mode.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. May I ask where did you read all this description from? I would like to read more about this myself.

This is what I've gathered from watching virtually every gameplay video that's been put out since the first one at last year's PAX East (well, at least up to a few weeks ago, when they started allowing dozens of web journalists some hands-on time and they all look pretty much the same now). The QTE has always only come into play to give an xp bonus on a fate-shift kill. It's possible it shows up in other places, but I vaguely remember an interview where a dev confirmed that the QTEs were optional (I had no luck finding this in a search, as there are now so many previews and interviews).

Disclaimer: I'm pretty much in fanboi mode about this game. I'm looking more forward to this than I have for a game in a really, really long time. I've been playing CRPG's for over 25 years now, and consider myself pretty hardcore, but I was also a pretty damn good Street Fighter II player at the local 7-Eleven back in high school, so I guess this concept of quality, well-executed action combat in a large and deep RPG just pushes all my buttons.

YMMV, of course. I can easily see why some people will be turned off by some of what they're showing, and that's fine, but I try to at least keep folks informed of the factual info about this game...

Every time I see a trailer of KOA:R, I still think that this could what Fable has never been...
From what I can see I'd enjoy the combat, the art direction, the lore; what I wouldn't like to see in this game is:
- Fast travel: I've much preferred a carriage system, with limited fast travel between buildings of the same faction for example (e.g. Morrowind);
- 300 quests: I really hope that not all will be fed ex, killing or saving people; I can stand them, but not too much. But anyway, let's wait and see if at least they'll be entertaining.
- Dungeons design: I know, there won't be any sunken dungeon (too bad), but I really like to see different entrances, multiple levels, LOTS of secrets to justify points invested in the Find Hidden ability (or what is called).
- Loot: okay, I can stand with a loot Diablo-like system as long as I'll find the gameplay enjoying, but apart of equip, I really hope to not be overwhelmed by ingredients and other crafting stuff; just let me find few but significant crafting materials, especially in the end game.
- Crafting: very pleased of it if they remember to put things like smelting unused armors, combining weaker potions/poisons to make stronger ones, and overall I'd like to see more "sinergy" between professions (e.g. maybe I can craft my own arrows with smithing, then I can choose to imbue them with poison or elemental magic).

The only problem with this game, is that it may be released around the time the DLC comes out for Skyrim. Which means I have incredibly tough decisions to make about which game I will play. Maybe by February the Skyrim fever will have subsided and a new game can be played, at least for a little while.

Oh, this game is a day one purchase for me, for sure, even if I still am enthralled by Skyrim at the time. Reckoning looks great in it's own right, and while I would be foolish to expect another masterpiece like Skyrim, I am definitely expecting something great. I've been following the game closely for awhile now, even before there were gameplay videos out, and I'm convinced it's going to be good. How good though? We'll just have to wait and see.

If you're truly an RPG fan though, why wouldn't a game like Reckoning be an instant purchase for you? There's not enough great RPGs out there to warrant passing on something like Reckoning. Sure we may not all absolutely adore the art direction, or care much for the combat, but like many RPGs before it, the whole will be greater than the sum of it's parts most likely. I just can't see an RPG fan passing on Reckoning, based on what we know so far about it. But I guess to some, the things I consider "minor details", could be big and gamebreaking to somebody else.

Because I already have enough excellent games to play, and why would I take a chance on a dev that has never delivered an RPG that I have liked before, much less any other game I have liked? I don't like to waste money on flops...

Fair enough I suppose. I just don't see Reckoning being a flop. There's too much going into it for that to happen (in my opinion). It's like a sure bet that it's going to at least be somewhat fun, and good. When you have Ken Rolston working on it, I mean comon, it's got to at least be somewhat interesting, right? I don't see how a game can epic fail with 300-some odd quests, 6 factions, quests involving multiple choices to get to the ending, a story where you have been raised from the dead (the only person in history to have had that happen), a world in size comparison to Oblivion, over 900 NPCs, a Diablo-style loot system, 120 hand-crafted dungeons, etc. Plus plenty of previewers said the game is fun to play. I just can't see this game being a flop. But if you have other games to play and are still cautious about it, then just wait for some reviews to roll in, and you should be good to go. :)

Back
Top Bottom