Ubisoft - Might and Magic 10 Teased - to be Revealed @ PAX East

Hmmm…

Well, I'm actually a fan of the latest Might and Magic VI (the strategy game with the name in reverse) - but I don't like the aesthetics. I much prefer the charming and endearing approach from the old games - especially the second one.

I've been interested in M&M VI since it launched, but the online requirements kept me away from it. I'm hoping in 5-10 yrs they'll relax those reqs. Played all the ones before VI, would sure like to play that one at some point.

-Carn

So instead of HOMM VI it is VI HOMM? I've played most of the strat games, but only in single player mode vs the pc. I've not seen screenshots of the monsters in VI, but would they look good if you dumped them into MM8? If so, that will be a good thing.

No, please, anything just not that!
As I couldn't bare another bug-o-rama.

What you say becomes irrelevant if you post the same thing everytime.

In the last 20 or so posts I've read of you, one can bet that in 15 you would post some combination of "bugs" + "Elder Scrolls game" AND/OR "Bethesda"

Joxer and his bug complaints in elder scrolls games = auto mental mute.

Back on-topic:

I bet it's gonna be "FarCry-with-Swords." Does FarCry have swords? "FarCry-without-Guns" then. Or "Assassin's Creed-with-a-class-system"

I do hope, they are impressed with Obsidian's work on the Stick of Truth enough to peg them to develop this.

Heh, it's not like we are going to say it is the story that you are playing a might and magic for.

I do hope, they are impressed with Obsidian's work on the Stick of Truth enough to peg them to develop this.

I think I recall an interview with Fergus at some point that said Obsidian has approached Ubisoft a fair few times about doing a M&M game.

It'd be fantastic if they had picked them to do it, I can't think of anyone else I'd trust.

Maybe Almost Human is developing it after their big success with Legend of Grimrock. Nah... Why would they do contract work when they have their own IP?

Legend of grimrock, although a good game did not have the might and magic feel at all.

Unless they can get someone major from NWC or 3DO, then this probably isn't going to work. Ubi's idea of Heroes was quite a tangent from the NWC games, so I expect that MMX will be the same. Will it be any good? Time will tell. What do folks think are the necessary pieces to make this a true Might and Magic? Here is my list:

Promotion Quests: The name has changed over the years, but there has always been quests for the individual pieces of the party, that makes them more powerful. Whether it be collecting power orbs, or finding the Perfect Bow, promotion quests are a mainstay of an MM game.

Outdoor Exploration: Even in MM1, exploring every square outside was a must. You would find unique treasures and the solution to some perplexing riddles, only by searching every nook and cranny. Later games would add genie lamps, ore, and abundant potion reagents to encourage the exploration aspect.

Puzzles/Riddles: Every MM game has at least a few, but the best games had several puzzles and riddles that would lead to the best treasures. Since the internet exists for cheaters and the impatient, there is no reason not to add these to the game.

Gobs of items: A mainstay of the series. Wands, rods, potions, several weapon types, and a host of other things to fill all the treasure chests of the world. Alchemy ingredients and potions are super vital.

Dark and Gritty: Not! Might and Magic is whimsical. It is more Wizard of Oz, than Lord of the Rings. It has an almost cartoony sense of fun and the monsters and art need to reflect this.

Excellent list I have to add once again, the ability to FLY. gotta have it. I remember when Morrowind came out many gamers figured out how to do potions so you could fly like in M&M.

And the overall theme has to be whimsical with lush colors. No shades of grey and brown here. In both MM 7 & 8 there was also a secret dungeon that basically was composed of all the employees of New World Computing. In #7 there was some loot but in #8 it was placed perfectly to give you a rest in a very dangerous land. These dungeons sorta took you out of the game but only in a good way.

One of the curiosities of both 7 & 8 was that they both had jokes that referenced popular culture. They sorta fall flat today, more that 10 years later, but it's proof they were not dark and gritty.

I also like how in order to simulate city movement, they would have many of the town characters just walk in one place. Real cheesy but I appreciated the effort. Make do with what you have and try your best. I always felt the Might and Magics tried to do that. Yes, even in 9. I feel the developers felt that they would rather have given us a buggy half completed game than let the company fold and have the game sit forever on the shelf. And in the long run I am good with that so help me Van Buren.

I remember the MM4 and MM5 xeen games that made world of Xeen. I wish someone would do something like that. It was so cool how they joined together.

I don't know where those comments come from, but are quite far from reality. Can't say anything (yet) but I think most long term M&M fans will be quite pleased with the direction of any possible M&M game that Ubi could be producing ;)

You talk like you have some inside information. Cooooooooooool.

Since I believe that man is ultimately good and I typically trust most any stranger, I am going to be quite hopeful in the upcoming announcement. Actually, my hopes are sky high and I'm walking on sunshine. tra lala lala lala

I loved Skyrim and I loved all the Gothics but Might and Magic was the first game I became a fan boy for. Years ago, Jon C came to my Apple 2 club pitching M&M 1. I had just finished the game and gave such an impassioned speech for the game he sold all the copies he brought with him. A couple years later I called the company for a game hint and spoke to Jon. I reminded him of that episode and he mailed me a T-shirt. I still got the T-shirt and I'm still a Might and Magic (crpg) fan boy.

You talk like you have some inside information. Cooooooooooool.

Since I believe that man is ultimately good and I typically trust most any stranger, I am going to be quite hopeful in the upcoming announcement. Actually, my hopes are sky high and I'm walking on sunshine. tra lala lala lala

I loved Skyrim and I loved all the Gothics but Might and Magic was the first game I became a fan boy for. Years ago, Jon C came to my Apple 2 club pitching M&M 1. I had just finished the game and gave such an impassioned speech for the game he sold all the copies he brought with him. A couple years later I called the company for a game hint and spoke to Jon. I reminded him of that episode and he mailed me a T-shirt. I still got the T-shirt and I'm still a Might and Magic (crpg) fan boy.

What is funny is isn't this why some of us still do today?

Ultima, M&M and Bard's tale...the holy grails of rpg's.

Then you had the magic candle games...imagine a modern one of these...

That's great news.
I've played them all to completion… except for MM1 and the horrible MM9, which killed the series. M&M 3 was my favorite. I'd love to see the return of stepped movement... something like Legend of Grimrock, only with outdoor environments and a global scale... but that will never happen.

I'm a huge fan of Obsidian, but I don't know if I'd trust them to do an M&M game. The M&M series was always more about the strategy & world-building involved, more than it was the story. And Obisidan is weak in those departments, IMO.

Of course, to be fair, I don't think I trust anyone to really do justice to M&M except perhaps Jon van Caneghem.

I'm a huge fan of Obsidian, but I don't know if I'd trust them to do an M&M game. The M&M series was always more about the strategy & world-building involved, more than it was the story. And Obisidan is weak in those departments, IMO.

Of course, to be fair, I don't think I trust anyone to really do justice to M&M except perhaps Jon van Caneghem.

I agree with this and was thinking the same thing, not many people can talk about the story of might and magic games.

I thrashed the obsidian forum but found this line in there that perfectly encapsulated the Might and Magic playing experience.

...and for some bisarre reason I liked flying around and then crash down to some yummy chest on a hill with dozens of baddies and release mayhem.

P.E.R.F.E.C.T.

That's great news.
I've played them all to completion… except for MM1 and the horrible MM9, which killed the series. M&M 3 was my favorite. I'd love to see the return of stepped movement… something like Legend of Grimrock, only with outdoor environments and a global scale… but that will never happen.

Ach... if only...

Funny that we seem to be the only ones here who preferred the early games. While I thought VI had a groundbreaking concept and ambition, it wasn't much of a M&M game anymore. Much of it felt a bit empty and soulless, and its incoherent art direction took more of my enjoyment. Arbitrarily disconnecting the later games from the original science fantasy lore closed that chapter for me.

Here's hoping for a turn-, party- and tile-movement-based, overland CRPG on Kickstarter one of these days. With monster generators. And skill trainers.

Ach… if only…

Funny that we seem to be the only ones here who preferred the early games. While I thought VI had a groundbreaking concept and ambition, it wasn't much of a M&M game anymore. Much of it felt a bit empty and soulless, and its incoherent art direction took more of my enjoyment. Arbitrarily disconnecting the later games from the original science fantasy lore closed that chapter for me.

Here's hoping for a turn-, party- and tile-movement-based, overland CRPG on Kickstarter one of these days. With monster generators. And skill trainers.

My favorite was world of xeen, so you are not the only one.

@julious so true, there are bugs in there big ones...radioactive ones.

i'm not very optimistic about that.unfortunately ubisoft has bought only the brand name of the series.when the old world died what followed wasn't as interesting.and also there's this tendency to make games more simplified so they can appeal to a larger audience ,"people are tired of the same things and we want to throw something new" and blah blah blah.Well i suggest to all those managers to take a look at Kickstarter.Maybe than they'll realize that there are people to throw cash in order to get an old-school rpg with modern graphics.

Back
Top Bottom