Bound By Flame - Meet the Demon

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Spiders released a new post on the Bound By Flame development blog with a look at how the demon will affect your appearance, and what it will cost to use it's powers.

Meet the Demon in Bound by Flame

You are a warrior of the Freeborn Blades, a group of mercenaries known and feared throughout Vertiel. But as the Deadarmy breaks into a ritual organized by your latest employers, things turn sour and, and you find yourself suddenly possessed by a flame demon.

After your initial surprise, and that of your companions, you start feeling the power of the demon within you, running through your veins… but this power, should you decide to use it, comes at a price: your very own humanity.
I also have a bonus to go with the newsbit with three songs on Youtube.

More information.

Ok I'm already set to go on this one although I wonder if Steam has the wrong unlock date. Steam say's 3-1/2 hrs to go.

On my side it says 2 more hours.
I don't think it's wrong, there are already gamplay vids on youtube, although all are from consoles.

Oddly enough when I eventually install this I won't be using the demon powers at all. If the game forces you by some arbitrary mechanic that you have no choice over, my interest will likely die at that moment.

I watched a bit of that gameplay video that's out and it looked like the guy was progressing quite nicely with mele abilities only and the girl healing him so I think you should be able to keep the demon's grip on you to a minimum

Just started downloading/installing, it's unlocked.

Will try the game later, but can't play much before I return from work tomorrow. :(

Oddly enough when I eventually install this I won't be using the demon powers at all. If the game forces you by some arbitrary mechanic that you have no choice over, my interest will likely die at that moment.

I don't find it odd at all I don't like playing monster types either or evil characters for that matter.

I do hope it's more compelling than demon= evil and human = good though.

Yay, downloading! :D

I wonder what now happens to my Age of Wonders III game where I'm struggling with a quite difficult scenario...

I played an hour. First impressions are very meh.

The first hour is mostly cut scenes, which are a bit boring.

The combat could turn out to be a real slog. it seems for difficulty they went the small damage route, meaning you inflict very little damage even on the weakest enemies. this makes even an easy fight a long affair and a hard fight a very, very long affair. they also like to put you up against many enemies at once making combat even longer.

Now obviously it's very early so upgraded skills or weapons could change this but if enemies also get harder it may not matter.

So far combat is not fun, that could definitely change though so we will have to see.

This is a very early impression though and it probably doesn't help that I just got done playing Dark souls and am halfway through Dark souls 2.

Are the controls bad like DS or are they serviceable? Does it actually feel like a PC game first? Or a ported console game? I don't mind it doesn't compare to DS at all, not my type of game anyways. I heard someone who was enjoying it said it was like a cross of Witcher and Dragon Age. They also said the first parts were full of cut scenes but after that it gets much better.

Well, I played both DS games with mouse and keyboard just fine so I might not be the one to ask.

Having said that I find the controls are fine and better than DS right out of the box. There is the ability to remap buttons but I haven't done so yet so I'm not sure how extensive it is. It will require some remapping to be perfect for me though.

The witcher 2 not 1 might be a fair comparison but the lack of a roll is annoying and so far only the ranger class can dodge or jump back. You switch fighting styles by pressing tab which opens a witcher 2 type wheel. I don't see any comparison to Dragon age though. It's 3rd person action combat and so far I haven't seen the ability to issue commands to your team.

You can lock on but need to hold the space bar down to stay facing your enemy which also blocks and slows your character down to a crawl.

Anyway there's no controller needed IMO but I didn't think DS needed one either so I'm sure many will disagree.

Oh and as far as classes your not 1 class you can pick from all of them (that you invest skill points into) and then switch stances via tab. Much like KOA.

I didn't see anyway to zoom in or out but the camera never felt excessively far away or too close. Scroll wheel cycled locked on enemies just like DS but not DS2 for some inexplicable reason.

I would say the camera worked really well. it never got all messed up when I backed up to immovable terrain like other 3rd person cameras are prone to do.

I never lost sight of my character or surroundings. Again though only 1 hour of play time.

I'm playing the game myself right now.:w00t:

Lets just say if you enjoyed the other RPGs from Spiders you will have no problem. On the other hand if you never played a single one before I don't think you will enjoy it.

Final verdict is the game is just more of the same, and I don't mind it. I'm not afraid to say I enjoy playing it. After the shortage of RPGs lately I can't complain.

And by shortage of RPGs I mean finished ones. I wont touch Alpha, or Beta versions of any game. They ruin the finished game for me.:)

Hmm…

I think it's quite different from of Orc and men and while similar to mars war logs combat wise, the nibbling damage makes the combat longer and more tedious IMO.

I know I Sound negative and that's probably not fair based on such limited time with the game but that's why I keep saying it's based on very limited time.:lol:

Anyway I'm definitely going to give it more time to see how it plays out.

Does pressing backwards cause your character to turn and face backward (bottom of the screen) like in DS2 and Witcher 2, or move backwards while still facing forward (top of the screen) like in Skyrim?

I find the former extremely bothersome for a fighting game as managing distance is important to me in fighting and presenting your back to an opponent when you just want to put a little distance between you a deal breaker. It's why I couldn't finish W2 or even DS2 now.

If your locked on you can hold the spacebar down to continue facing the monster and backpeddle. Once you release the spacebar you will turn around and run.

It works ok but you move excruciatingly slow when holding space down.

Also if locked on in DS2 you will back peddle and not turn your back to enemies.

Playing this and enjoying it quite a lot...

Back
Top Bottom