What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Doublepost because just spotted a trailer for upcoming sequel of IMO overrated horror movie A Quiet Place:

The first movie had two things I hated absolutely. The most silent baby in history of humankind and shotgun as the "ultimate solution".
Obviously from the trailer both (bullshits) are back. Somehow however the line "people that are left… they're not the kind of people worth saving" makes the promise the sequel could explain aliens as natural extermination of lootboxes makers and buyers. Both types.
Or it's just a meaningless bait line and the movie is worse than the original. :)

Still, next march I wanna check what it really ment. Yea, I'll pretend I'm okay with shotguns and GMO babies… ;)

Little women - very good much better than knives out or star wars. I suspect one of the better movies last couple of years but I've missed several so who knows... gotta mention it is a bit sad.

And he did. But then he grew up and stopped caring about anything except $.
Then sold it to anyone interested in ruining it. And then that party licensed videogames rights to EA as legal gambling isn't tax free.

Myths are stories that achieve an existence on their own.

Myths are way older than anything like author's rights, copyrights and stuff.

If selling rights to anyone interested in ruining a myth works, it would be known a long time ago.

It was an attempt to provide a modern myth. It failed. SW is just another story, as there are dozens of thousands of.

Not true as being human is not related to nationality. :)

It's like saying only Germany could film the brilliant yet criminally_underrated(TM)JDR Tattoo.
Are you saying you didn't watch it? Man… *sigh* :D
btw imdb obviously didn't watch it. This just isn't happening in the movie:

LOL for incorrect summary, LOL for two interpretations possible from such line.
No rituals anywhere and detectives definetly aren't murdering or skinning anyone. :D

Anyway, we did mention Amelie in this thread before and it's one of the best "feel good" movies ever made. I'm not sure if we discussed this type of movies previously, but I wouldn't say no to a thread that would list only these.

In my opinion it's a cultural thing. Have you seen the French original and the U.S. remake of the one with the red shoue movie ? Differences ! Cultural differences !

Besides, maybe few have noticed this . Amelue draws heavily from the French way of drawing comics. It's just there, and you notice it if you know French comics. The way to express things.

If I compare that to Marvel or DC … They just couldn't do it the same way. Totally different styles.

Plus, the French culture has something the U.S. culture has not (and vice versa). Movies like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romantics_Anonymous are simply impossible in the U.S. - partly, I assume, because the U.S. culture is so much extrovert in general. So to say "introvert movies" from thew U.S. are a rarity, as far as I can tell.

Amelie would be impossible without that special way the camera looks at things. the special way how things are highlightened (remember the key ?).

I say it's a cutural thing. "Der bewegte Mann" was a "miss" in other countries, even although it sold fairly well in Germany. Different cultures have different kinds of humour. Would Monty Python And The Holy Grail have been possible in the U.S. ? I doubt so.

Decent flick, but then again Caine doesn't tend to be in many shoddy films.

It's funny how you remember Caine that way, because Caine got a reputation in the 1980s and early 90s and it wasn't a good one. Because I'm from the UK and because I was in my teenage years at that time I remember it really well.

You'd be hard pressed to find a selection of great Caine movies from that era, even though that was the era when he was literally pumping them out. He went through a phase of literally milking his fame for every penny available and developed a local reputation for his troubles, the pinnacle of which was seeing him in the lead role for Jaws IV: The Revenge, quite possibly one of the worst movies ever made sitting at 2.9/10 on IMDB from 38,500 votes.

I can't remember which film or run of films suddenly propelled him back into the sphere of respectable actors, but he gradually snuck his way back in from the late 90s onwards.

I can't remember which film or run of films suddenly propelled him back into the sphere of respectable actors, but he gradually snuck his way back in from the late 90s onwards.

I think back to even the late 70s he became known for splitting between ‘good’ movies and ‘cash the paycheck’ films. He missed the Academy Awards ceremony when he won Best Supporting Actor Oscar for ‘Hannah and Her Sisters’ because he was filming the infamous ‘Jaws: The Revenge’.

But I think that caught up with him and people didn’t want his ‘name recognition’ so much anymore. It was the late 90s he got another Oscar for ‘The Cider House Rules’ (which I loved!), and since then has been able to work steadily - not all gems to be sure, but his presence has generally been positive, and he continues to do a couple of movies a year (IMDB has him at FOUR 2020 slated releases!) even at almost 87!

The biggest problem SW has is Disney.

I disagree.

Couple of thoughts:
- The Force Awakens and Last Jedi at least (I would also say Rise of Skywalker) are certainly better than the non-Disney ‘Phantom Menace’ and ‘Attack of the Clones’.
- Are the Disney films less risk-taking? Sure. Less ‘world building’? Also true. But Last Jedi gets closer to the failures of the Jedi Order only hinted at in the Prequel Trilogy and more deftly shown in ‘Knights of the Old Republic’ by Jolee Bindo and Kreia. (But then again, KotOR and The Sith Lords are really the deepest takes on Star Wars we’re likely to ever get)
- IMO the worst things for Star Wars since ~1999 are (a) fandom and (b) social media. The toxic combination of these two have poisoned the ability of anyone to produce anything in a risk-averse tent pole blockbuster world.

Not excusing the failings I see in any of the films ... but I also love many of the elements: the new characters, the depth of Luke in Last Jedi, the interplay with Yoda, the ‘ReyLo’ (ugh) interplay that also takes me back to KotOR, and so on.

I was frustrated by Return of the Jedi in many, many ways - it is very clearly the weakest of the OT ... yet there are moments of it that are amongst my favorite in all of cinema and it felt like a solid ending. Revenge of the Sith was clearly the pinnacle of the Prequel Trilogy, but also not perfect - and also wrapped up the trilogy (yeah, sloppily in some ways).

I cannot describe my issues with the new trilogy without spoilers, so I will just not do it for now. But whatever those issues are - these new films are better in pretty much every way than the first two PT movies.

The Cider House Rules is definitely on my top ten list of most favourite films of all time. It's just a sheer joy to watch, and as good today as the day it was released.

In my opinion it's a cultural thing. Have you seen the French original and the U.S. remake of the one with the red shoue movie ? Differences ! Cultural differences !
Generally, I avoid remakes like a plague.
Sometimes however it's not possible to. An example is australian Secrets and Lies show that I could not find absolutely anywhere and couldn't access by any (even shady) means possible. Maybe today it's added on some service, dunno. But… Back in the day the only option was to watch the USA version. Which is fantastic.

For your particular example I have to say I didn't watch the black shoe original nor the red shoe remake. Should I? I mean, what's it about?

I say it's a cutural thing. "Der bewegte Mann" was a "miss" in other countries, even although it sold fairly well in Germany. Different cultures have different kinds of humour.
Humor is universal. Numerous I times said I want more german comedies stating those don't exist trying to mock mostly you. They do exist for those of us who refuse to be spoonfed by mainstream trash and choose what to watch.
That particular title I've never heard about before. I'm gonna find it and watch it even if it's the last thing for me to do. I promise!
But, in case of that one, if we'll trust one imdb user, the reason is not cultural differences - but sloppy translation:
https://www.imdb.com/review/rw0334885/
This is yet another of those cases where Anglosaxon audiences might be tempted to think that it reenforces their prejudice that German humour is a no-show.

The problem can be described in one word: subtitles. I (a native German speaker) watched the UK release which is the original German version with English subtitles. The dialogue of this film is very funny and sharp; it is quite different from contemporary funny English dialogue which usually goes for funny one-liners, it has more in common with the humour you find in Oscar Wilde, for example in The Importance of Being Earnest. In other words, the characters are constantly trying to (literally) outwit each other whilst keeping the conversation afloat. This kind of dialogue is quite fashionable in certain parts of German culture, but at least in Britain it has become fairly rare. Consequently, the translators had a difficult job on their hands.

Occasionally my eyes wandered towards the subtitles to see what the translators did with the latest banter - and I was appalled with what I found. Yes, the translation was factually accurate, i.e. the content of what was said was accurately translated, but all the wit, the sharpness, the humour had gone. As already mentioned, this was a difficult translation job, but the translators did not try hard enough.
After seeing so many animes ruined by atrocious dubs and subs, so bad even google translate will do better, I tend to believe that imdb user.

Added on my to watch list - I don't watch war movies normally, but they say absurd and funny in comments thus I'm expecting something similar to french La Grande Vadrouille.
Keep 'em coming!

- The Force Awakens and Last Jedi at least (I would also say Rise of Skywalker) are certainly better than the non-Disney ‘Phantom Menace’ and ‘Attack of the Clones’.

I'm not sure how many people would agree with that. Overall, I thought the final trilogy was slightly worse than the prequel trilogy.

I liked The Force Awakens well enough, but then it got progressively worse with each film. It might have been better than Phantom Menace (that's not saying much), but I definitely preferred Attack of the Clones over any of the new films.

I can't say I've seen any Star Wars films since Force Awakens and Rogue One but I'd have to assume anyone saying any film of any kind is worse than Attack of the Clones must be someone who proscribes to some really powerful medication.

AotC isn't just a bad Star Wars film, it's a bad film full stop. Ok, maybe Jaws 4: The Revenge is worse, but that's a pretty low bar. AotC is absurd without being a spectacle, it's a poor dialogue action film with utterly tedious action scenes, it competes with Plan 9 from Outer Space with regards to much of the thoroughly wooden acting, it's a fantastical space epic where absolutely nothing seems otherworldly.

Ok, it's marginally better than Battlefield Earth, if I was stuck somewhere with a choice of watching either AotC or BE then I'd probably go for AotC, but this is all extreme crap tier comparisons, in reality I'd rather watch almost anything other than AotC again.

I get the impression the newer films have some bollocks in them, I get that. But AotC was pure bollocks that was also paint dryingly dull pure bollocks. Essentially, I am genuinely baffled how AotC can't be everyone's least favourite SW film.

Who the hell uses Metacritic for movies? they have, like, 0.3% the activity of IMDB lmao.

But even still, yes, I'm saying this without even seeing the newer SW films. It's like saying "I can't imagine any superhero film could be worse than Batman and Robin" without seeing any more super hero movies. Sure, there's likely some really really really crap super hero movies out there, but just from a logical perspective it's a safe bet to think that Batman and Robin is as much bottom of the Barrel as it's possible to be.

I can imagine the newer films to be almost equally as bad, but I struggle to imagine how anything can be worse than the worst it's possible to be. It's a logical impossibility, if you get my meaning.

Maybe it is just age; but i haven't really enjoyed any of the star wars movies that much since the first one came out. I've rewatched it and it isn't as good now as it was when i was a little kid but who to know - maybe that is because lucas butchered it - but more likely when i got older i expected better [script/acting/story/...]. THe first three really aren't that bad - i mean they are light and fluffy but the stories make sense and have decent flow - but since then ... i suspect this latest star wars will be my last - just too many better movies.

Maybe it is just age; but i haven't really enjoyed any of the star wars movies that much since the first one came out. I've rewatched it and it isn't as good now as it was when i was a little kid but who to know - maybe that is because lucas butchered it - but more likely when i got older i expected better [script/acting/story/…]. THe first three really aren't that bad - i mean they are light and fluffy but the stories make sense and have decent flow - but since then … i suspect this latest star wars will be my last - just too many better movies.

That's what I think too. I guess the Star Wars franchise isn't as good as before because they are just cash cows now. I know the fanboys will get angry about this but... I don't like them films anymore.

I watched a totally frivolous film last night, Roman Holiday. Now these are the kinds of movies that I miss these days, a yawning romp without some ridiculous message or agenda being shoved down my throat. Thank goodness that the library is so very close, that I can get there easily and lay my hands on some really decent flicks!

Back
Top Bottom