Metal Gear Solid 5

So I almost purchased the MGS HD collection yesterday. I even had it in my Amazon shopping cart along with my new video card.

Something told me to check my PS3 cabinet first though, and… yep, I had a copy sitting in there.. still unopened no less.

It's pretty sad when you don't even know what games you own.

Attachments

• 20150910_050828.jpg
    20150910_050828.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 79
So I almost purchased the MGS HD collection yesterday. I even had it in my Amazon shopping cart along with my new video card.

Something told me to check my PS3 cabinet first though, and… yep, I had a copy sitting in there.. still unopened no less.

It's pretty sad when you don't even know what games you own.

Let me know what you think of these games, as I might just pick them up :)

Hmmm, I think some of you guys shop games, like a lot of people ( especially women ) do clothes... buy so much that you don't even know what you own anymore :D Play it or wear it one time, or leave it unplayed / unworn :D

Hmmm, I think some of you guys shop games, like a lot of people ( especially women ) do clothes… buy so much that you don't even know what you own anymore :D Play it or wear it one time, or leave it unplayed / unworn :D

You don't know how right you are :)

Bumping this up.

Everyone already knows MGS5 nailed overall GOTY award on PCGamer.
It also got best action award on game-debate, and was cricits choice on Golden Joystick.

And now, RPS says it's the best stealth game in 2015.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/12/19/best-stealth-2015/

For those who plan to buy games from awards because - since won something, probably are musthaves.

People, be very careful with this one.
If you buy it, if you start it, do not let it online. Decline Terms of Service upon it's running, it'll run in offline mode then. If you're desperate for MMOs, wait for MGO that will appear on PC next month, just skip the online component in MGS5. It's singleplayer is great, but the game is completely ruined by it's MMO part. You can play it without ever touching MMO part, but only if you decline it immediately. If you don't decline it up front, you'll be forced into it. And then there is no turning back.

Things get even worse. You can keep the game offline all way long on PC. On consoles - you can't.

Seems that none of these critics got past episode 20 in MGS5. If they did, I don't think they'd dare to even nominate it.
Assuming these rewards are ment to be rewards for games. Not rewards for best scams.
Best stealth game? No. It's best stealth scamware.

I've started playing it and I'm having a lot of fun but I *despise* that save system! Last night I was running around Mother Base, picking up diamonds which apparently were dropped by construction workers. I did one of the shooting quests a couple of times. Punched a lot of people because they like it. Climbed a pipe and… ooops! Fell down and died. ONE HOUR gone. (Hint: when you move between platforms, jump back to air command then back to the base so the fool thing saves.)

It's been fun for the most part, though. I would appreciate it if prisoners would actually make a little more noise when I walk in the room. I had a two-prisoner mission last night and wasted a lot of time because I just assumed the two prisoners would be in different places. Nope - one was in the corner in the dark making no noise at all.

Oh, and I caught Bobo T. Mighty!
5A92497F583F964CC7096601A9CD64EC96087FC2

P.S. I'm taking your advice and declining all terms of service, Joxer. It actually asks every time I play.

For prisoners' rescue the classic scheme is to interrogate someone so they spill their location out (unless the info on schematics, "highskilled" soldier or for example diamonds is a priority intel but then you interrogate more mobs till you find out what you wanted).
Second option is to have the dog as your sidekick who'll point you on hostiles and friendlies nearby.

There is however one (late) mission where you can't learn it with interrogation nor can bring a dog with you, and in that case the mechanic arm sonar upgrade comes as nifty feature.

I'm going to get re-named the balloon man. I extract just about everyone. You can do a hold-up and tell the person to get down to cause them to essentially remain out of the battle forever (unless another enemy comes along?) but it's just so easy to use the balloon! Needless to say, the base is VERY well armed and overstaffed.

I'm surprised at how much depth there is to this game. There's a ton of different weapons and the different buddies helps keep things mixed up, too. If only somebody had bothered to enable the fargin' mouse for the menu system...

Sadly the iDroid is trying to be a touchscreen and IMO fails. I bet it's feeling just as bad on mushrooms.

After you fill all 700 spots of possible crew, stop extracting Es and Fs. Later forget Cs and Bs.
Keep in mind that the game has extraction bug - if you extract 100+ people/stuff without touching a checkpoint, you won't be able to call for helicopter pickup (if this happens during a mission with highly rewarding fultoning like grabbing a mass of A++ and S soldiers in Code Talker mission where checkpoints don't exist, you'll be able to end the mission only by stepping over the mission area boundary).
This bug was never fixed, instead they're adding more pay2win microtransations cheats in the MMO rubbish part.

Last edited:
Actually, I think I'm pretty close to 700 already and I'm starting to only let B's in grudgingly. Except when I just want to get the person out of the area without slitting their throats. Which is almost always.

The MMO stuff is really dominating the Steam board. No skin off my nose but it really would be nice if somebody would divide the boards/guides into two different areas.

P.S. Got to love that reasoning behind why Quiet wears almost no clothing!

Wait till you find out why she doesn't speak (and it's not that she can't).

You'll see not just on Steam but on so called gaming sites remarks about bad story, no ending, this that… IMO the story is absolutely amazing including everything with Quiet.

"Fan service", yes, definetly, totally. But well done.

Sadly, instead of me praising the game everywhere, I thumbed it down on Steam reviews. The MMO garbage part, a part that is designed as Travian 2, a part that sells cheats for real $, ruined the whole experience. Ruined the singleplayer part of the game post episode 22 (would take me too long to explain).

If Konami wasn't so greedy and kept it as singleplayer only instead of adding pay2win microtransactions rubbish, we could possibly have not just one masterpiece in 2015.

Do not watch the next spoiler unless you finished first two missions in chapter 2!

Last edited:
All right, I'm back in and just as porked as before. Every time I try the convoy mission I get wasted. Spoilers…

The Skulls are death. Even hitting them with my best missile launcher only takes out half their hit points. My grenade launcher doesn't seem to do anything to them at all. Quiet doesn't seem to do anything to them. Running from them is completely impossible. Even putting on the chicken hat doesn't work! I've gotten the truck up and out a few times but I can't even beat two Skulls never mind four.

P.S. Joxer you said I could just get away from the truck but they don't pop out until I get close and then they are all over me.

When I Google for help all I can find is how to cheese the mission.

Edit: Well, I got through it. The EXTRA Chicken hat makes you invisible until you start doing damage. Sad but at least I can progress now.

Last edited:
Yes they pop out when you get close, but you're supposed to sneak and have some proper sneaking outfit so the don't see you after they pop out.
Also, I said take D-Walker with minigun, Quiet is a bad choice for that mission even on the replay to grab all optional goals (you need to fulton the driver, if you take her with her best sniper because with it she can instalkill skulls, she'll also kill all other people including the driver).

No matter, the important thing is you did it. ;)
And it's not sad. Plenty of main missions are challenging.

I heard that, at some point, they introduced a patch that made unwelcome changes and pushed micro transactions, etc. Is it necessary to use an earlier version to avoid the problems, or is it possible play the patched version without them intruding?

Hmmm, I think some of you guys shop games, like a lot of people ( especially women ) do clothes… buy so much that you don't even know what you own anymore :D Play it or wear it one time, or leave it unplayed / unworn :D

Yep that's me, I also do it with clothes and shoes as well. I have more pairs of shoes than my wife actually.:lol:

As of the game I'll be grabbing it in a steam sale at some point. I'm interested in playing it but it's not one of my main genres so it will have to wait.

I heard that, at some point, they introduced a patch that made unwelcome changes and pushed micro transactions, etc. Is it necessary to use an earlier version to avoid the problems, or is it possible play the patched version without them intruding?
You heard right.
And it's the very reason I put thumb down on Steam on the game as that multiplayer is a scam. If needed I can add a few more details why I say that.

Luckily it's avoidable.
You don't need unpatched game version. Just decline Terms Of Service that pop up on each game start. That'll keep your game in offline mode constantly.
That way if you're Trasher you can go multiplayer whenever you like, all you need to do is to accept TOS at some point, if you want to. For example after you do the game 100%. See, to get it 100%, you don't need to play any of it's multiplayer crap.

As of the game I'll be grabbing it in a steam sale at some point. I'm interested in playing it but it's not one of my main genres so it will have to wait.
It's not a masterpiece and PCGamer trolled the audience by crowning it as GOTY although it's not as good as TW3 or FO4. But is better than previous year's GOTY DA3 so maybe PCGamer didn't play TW3 and FO4 and compared MGS5 with Bioware's grinder?

It's not RPG although contains RPG elements. Some horrible consoley designs are in it (checkpoints with checkpointscum abuse being just one), but MGS5 is still a musthave/mustplay game. Don't worry about controls, it's done well and aiming plays better with K+M than with mushroomfetish garbageware.
Buy as soon as you can.

Cheers, Joxer. I'll firewall it to make sure it doesn't get any funny ideas.

That'll work too although isn't needed.
I guess they're aware that multiplayer contains fraudulent stuff as that'd explain why you have to accept separate TOS if you want to pvp so you can't sue them later.

Back
Top Bottom