The Bard's Tale IV - Officially Announced!

I love combat, even endless combat, but BT-Combat was a bit special… you had to decide the actions of your characters before a combat-round, so you had to estimate i.e. if the group of ogres is killed with one fireball, or if your second caster should also throw one. You would waste valuable resources if you guessed wrong. I didn't mind it back in the late 80s, but when I tried to replay the games maybe 10 years ago it annoyed me seriously.

Bard's Tale was one of the first games I learned to exploit - and I got a kick out of killing endless illusions for the XP cheat :)

I also learned something about why cheating is boring in the long run, hehe.

I never had problems with the fights, I always stopped playing because I couldn't solve some puzzles or maybe becauss some dungeons were to difficult (Darkness Zones, Teleporters or Spinners^^) or maybe I just read something wrong from the codewheel can't remember anymore :D BT 4 really needs a codewheel.

There was a monster (it used the ogre picture) that would keep on summoning more of their kind in BT2, it was a real pain in the ass to kill them before they could summon reinforcements.

Oh, and I was really disappointed in BT2 when I rescued the Princess
and they once again used the ogre picture

I was pretty young when the first one came out and was so lost....I just kept wandering around.

My mom, funny enough, pointed out the hint in the rule book that said...wine that goes down....pointing to the first dungeon.

It was one of the first games I saw on the Amiga - and I was floored when I saw the quality of the avatar pictures. I had a C64 and my brother had the Amiga.

I wasn't jealous at ALL - no no >:O

I remember trying bards tale way back when. I also remember not caring for it though I can't remember why.

I should have loved it considering wizardry was my favorite game at the time and got me into rpg's.

So I'm not really excited about this but I'll definitely keep an eye on it and check it out at some point.

Brothers Kringle was the one that kept summoning themselves. Also in BT3 you could actually summon Brothers Kringle to fight for you.

Brothers Kringle was the one that kept summoning themselves. Also in BT3 you could actually summon Brothers Kringle to fight for you.

The spell THE BROTHERS KRINGLE was already available in Bard's Tale II.

With BAYLOR'S SPELL BIND you could bind enemies to your party - I had Father Kringle in my party :)

Note that while we're not going into detail for some time yet you can find a few questions addressed here.

Actually they brought on board "Burger Billy", one of the devs who used to work on the series and who tried to make a spiritual successor that was cancelled in the 90s.
Just to clarify: Rebecca Heineman has not been brought on board for this project.

Note that while we're not going into detail for some time yet you can find a few questions addressed here.

Just to clarify: Rebecca Heineman has not been brought on board for this project.

So not much info there….

Any idea when we can see anything about it?

Kickstarter date?

It would be interesting if they did a xulima styled combat, accept with phases.

So psyched for this one.

EDIT: btw one of the great things from bard's tale was the magic system...how you could get to a certain level in different classes to become a higher class...like archmage.

I loved the graphic style of the first three games, but I did found the controls too slow, and preferred the SSI Gold box games to them; I look forward to this to have the chance to explore that world!
And I loved The Bard's Tale instead :D

Back
Top Bottom