Mass Effect: Andromeda - Gameplay Trailer

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Mass Effect: Andromeda now has a gameplay trailer.

Explore the Andromeda Initiative: http://x.ea.com/27448

Mass Effect: Andromeda puts you in the role of the Pathfinder; an elite soldier, explorer and guide tasked with finding humanity a new home an uncharted galaxy. From arresting visuals and thrilling combat, to epic story and characters, Mass Effect: Andromeda is truly the next generation of Action/RPG gaming.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - Coming Spring 2017 to PC, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 4 Pro, and Xbox One
More information.

It seems like an alternate viewing mode gets established in RPGs. What we see here @2m16s is more or less the same as the witcher senses in TW3 or the Smart Vision augmentation in Deus Ex. I think it's a nice feature.

I'm happy with the combat feedback visualization not being overloaded with effects and numbers as it was the case in DA:I.

That we don't see anything about character creation or development does not bode well.

Visually I like what I see. It's not as great as TW3 (vegetation, facial animation, hair!) but more than enough for great immersion.

On a side node: I just realized that in the general roles are flipped in contrary to the first trilogy. There the main protagonist was on the side of the species that defended their home galagy against an alien species. Now the main protagonist's side "invades" a foreign galaxy. Of course the intents aren't that martial and ultimate, but to me this is an interesting thought.

Very much looking forward to it and I finally want to have an actual ETA! :)

I can't quite put my finger on it, but everything I've seen seems kind of... flat. The world design, the voice acting, it all feels a bit lifeless, somehow. Hope I'm wrong.

Looks nice but I think the explosions are bit too flashy for my old eyes! Also I thought I saw some texture pop-ins as well. Ryder sister's faced look bit odd during conversations and cut scenes. It looked like she got punched hard on one side!

Also I don't like the hud, its way too big and I hope we can chnage it. They can make the UI even more minimalist. However the UI has nice sci-fi feel to it and that I like.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but everything I've seen seems kind of… flat. The world design, the voice acting, it all feels a bit lifeless, somehow. Hope I'm wrong.

Yes. It looks a bit "plasticky", with a bit over the top color saturation. Was hoping BW will go off the rails and go crazy with world design, it's entire new galaxy to play around with.
Seems like a mix of DAI and ME I with better combat, so should be fun.

My first reaction: Frostbyte is so pretty...except the hair.
My first.5 reaction: Sam sound like Microsoft Sam *it is so a VI/AI*
My second reaction: Flying Vanguard!!!!
My third reaction: Yeah, enemies that are even more annoying than Banshees.
My fourth reaction: OMG! Engineers are getting a portable cover/shield (and it can reflect stuff back).

I had a "oh no, Batman/Witcher detective mode" moment too, but it didn't last long.

The Turian companion is named Vetra, she's a female Turian.

Ryder sister's faced look bit odd during conversations and cut scenes.
I think that Ryder herself, not Ryder's sister... if you know what I mean.

I think that Ryder herself, not Ryder's sister… if you know what I mean.

Technically, both are correct. The player is either (Scott) Ryder or (Sarah) Ryder based on gender selection. They are twins.

Her face cracks me up
D4qQXLc.gif

Art design seems way too conservative for a game set in a foreign galaxy, resource gathering + crafting + (probably) scanning as presented in the trailer reek of a gameplay loop similar to DA:I aka filler overload I'd love to see vanish from open world cRPGs and the cinematic presentation (voice acting, animations) was rather unpolished for a trailer for a game this far into development.
While I'm glad the combat seems to be most in the vein of ME3's iteration, the squadmate control seems largely absent which is another red flag as far as I'm concerned.
Also, detective vision already significantly damaged quest design (and questing experience) in The Witcher 3 and seems to be here for another round, thankyouverymuch.

As someone who enjoyed the whole original trilogy for most of the time, I've found very little of interest when it comes to ME:A related material provided thus far.

Technically, both are correct. The player is either (Scott) Ryder or (Sarah) Ryder based on gender selection. They are twins.
I know, but the cutscenes in this trailer for sure show the main protagonist, not the sibling. That's what I intended to point out. :)

peter tosh does not approve

I've never been able to get into this series and doubt it'll be starting now.

Looks like a fine console game, a fine generic action shooter with so few RPG elements they didn't even bother to show any. Oh boy, collect poo to assemble generic gear items for your 2 or 3 gear slots - ZzzzzZzzzZzzz.

To me there ere better shooters like Far Cry 3/4 or even Dying Light (with parkour that's a hell of a lot more fun than jetpacking over the occasional pond) or even Tomb Raider (that's not a full on shooter) or hell - Borderlands - that are way better as shooters/action games and that have deeper character development - and it just seems sad how shallow ME is coming from BioWare.

I really don't like the over the shoulder camera or feel in this game, the character movements like strafing and doing anything look and feel so clunky to me.

While I like survival, crafting, and all that, it just seems kind of silly that in the future with all kinds of technology that any human would be running around with a gun on a planet surface picking herbs and dealing with wild life.

The female character's face is quite possibly the worst looking being I've ever seen in any video game. For those that do end up paying $120 to play this, I hope there's good character customization.

I do like the idea of having an open world with "mini campaigns" thru it that could easily be expanded on via DLC (or modding in a less EA world) vs yet another lengthy "save the universe yet again" story but i'm not really sure what they're doing with this game yet and I fell like to me, the grand nature of the planets and pretty graphics will pale in comparison to the overall generic console idiot mode of everything.

Some of the visuals look good but overall I just get the feeling of generic. Scan this, scan that, do the same generic quests you did in every other console shooter. Yawn.

Or maybe it's the EA/Bio version of NMS and still yawn. Some of the visuals looked kind of like NMS (from what I've seen, no way would I buy that joke of a game).

This already looks like a game I'll wait multiple years to buy for $10 or less on sale, if that.

lol. Avina is back (new briefing video is out, about the Nexus and the Ark).

I've tried to stay away from material to not spoil myself, and if I can muster the strength of will to wait fro a complete package...

But I'm looking forward to more mass effect, but I don't understand why they have to go the "open world and crafting route", that's not how I see Biowares strength as a developer. From Bioware I prefer story, world-building and NPCs.

I think ME had one of the best game lores written. I read all entries

I like that it will have a lighter tone, good with some changes and not the usual
"the world is going under and I'm the chosen one!"

C

But I'm looking forward to more mass effect, but I don't understand why they have to go the "open world and crafting route", that's not how I see Biowares strength as a developer. From Bioware I prefer story, world-building and NPCs.
Well, open world wasn't CDPR's strength before TW3. But they've handled it quite well I'd say without sarificing story quality.
Tbh I don't have that much trust in BioWare as I have in CDPR but from TW3 we've learnt that an open world doesn't contradict a strong narrative.

Does anyone have an idea who/what the woman @1m34s might be? I mean... she looks human. But isn't the ark Ryder arrives with supposed to carry the very first humans in Andromeda galaxy?

Back
Top Bottom