joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
IMO super interesting article from PCG on Kaby Lake i7:
http://www.pcgamer.com/gaming-without-a-dedicated-graphics-chip-on-i7-7700k/

And an awsome graph:
http://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/fqnnsPMkh7RC38fpzzKVgk.png

Spot on - console (rubbish?) ports on PC gain exactly the same framerate as if were on consoles. DX:MD nets cca 20 FPS, FO4 30 and GTA5 can reach 45.

The Witcher 3 however is sometimes a slideshow with only 5 frames per second, but okay, playing that game without a separate GPU would be a sin.

If new i7 itself is strong as XBone/PS4, why on earth would anyone buy a console instead of just (MoBo+)CPU upgrade?
Don't say exclusives please, we're gaming audience not blind people who can't see Mona Lisa painting and exclusivity didn't help the industry only forced people into accepting hostage situations as something normal.

Related to this, news about PC sales. In this case, not stats on only prebuilt machines but on all hardware:
http://www.pcgamesn.com/pc-hardware-market-30bn-dollars
The JPR report says that the continued growth of the PC gaming hardware market is down to the ever-increasing numbers of gamers picking mid-range and high-end tech. It’s these two segments, rather than the higher volume entry-level kit, that makes it such a massive industry.

So when you read those doom-laden reports of the death of the PC remember that they’re not talking about you. They’re talking about the notebooks and office block desktops that have seen their usage largely replaced by mobile devices. As the report notes “the average PC sale is increasingly motivated by the video game use model which is important to understand in a stagnant or declining overall PC market.”

It’s all about the games, people. That’s why we loves our hardware.

PC gaming is dead. I wish I could find the journalist idiot who was first to write that phrase.

Last edited:
I have been impressed by the improvements in performance for integrated graphics chipsets in recent years ... I mean, I can play a decent amount of recent RPGs on my 2014 MacBook Air (Divinity: Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity, etc) with solid performance.

Of course for 'meatier' games I have a discrete GPU on a Windows laptop. No consoles for me :)

PC gaming is dead. I wish I could find the journalist idiot who was first to write that phrase.

PC gaming is dead. The PC market is a die hard. It is the dream market with players ready to buy anything thrown at them like crowfunded products, that makes a trade of releasing buggy products on purpose.

The article is about hardware and the PC market shows players ready to fork out large sums of money with no guarantee this ensures they can run smoothly console ports or crowdfunded products.

The PC market is a dream for anyone looking for selling stuff.

You skipped players ready to fork out large sums of money for emulators that'll run something better than rubbish hardware.
Deliberately.
I bet.
Or it was die hard in dreams.

My i7 Surface Pro 4 can run almost anything on GOG, making it possible to play whenever I travel somewhere. Of course, at home I have two top notch desktops ready for just about anything, but I like having options on the go. It basically means that I can play Baldur's Gate or HoMM3 instead of some random phone game.

I agree with the part about companies though. I work for a huge company and even though we're slow to change, we're moving away from desktops/laptops and into thin clients, tablets, and mobile. We'll probably see a 60% reduction in pc hardware over the next two years.

I'm not working for a huge company but I'm working for a company where security and paranoia is at it's extreme. There is no way we ever switch to tablets and mobile unless the management decides to develop OS of our own - which means superhigh amount of $ investment, and that ain't happening.

Maybe I'm allergic on Facebook spying and data selling just because I'm working for such company? Dunno. Could be, but I don't think so. In fact maybe just because of my own disgust with Facebook I still work here.

You skipped players ready to fork out large sums of money for emulators that'll run something better than rubbish hardware.
Deliberately.
I bet.
One brand of suspicion on XBoxOne ports running poorly on PC is that devs did not bother porting but relied on an emulator.

IMO super interesting article from PCG on Kaby Lake i7:
http://www.pcgamer.com/gaming-without-a-dedicated-graphics-chip-on-i7-7700k/

Dont know about PC but for sure console market has been in decline for 10 years now according to sales recodrs. 100 million consolists have allready exited console-market. In Japan the market has shrinked 50%. Sales of all new consoles are also down even ps4 sales started to decline last year.

I think its the move to tablets and smart phones that is eating console-market. It cannot be stopped with more expensive and more poweful consoles like the scorpio. The only way to stop it is to accept the change and transform consoles into tablets in the future.

The tablets are so good nowadays that they are able to present HD graphics in games. Thats more than enough for the most people who dont care two shits about 4k. Ps4 pro was like 6% of total ps4 sales. Its are meaningless. Scorpio is going to bomb big imho.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom