Mass Effect 3 - Introducing FemShep - David Silverman Interview @ VG247

aries100

SasqWatch
VG247 did an interview with Bioware's Marketing Director David Silverman. They talk about the introduction of Jane Shepard in ME3's marketing, how the fans reacted to this - and more.
A few excerpts:
If this can happen now, why hasn’t it happened before?
When creating a rich sci-fi epic like Mass Effect, you need to keep a certain level of consistency so people unfamiliar with the property can clearly identify who the hero is that they get to become,” Silverman said. “Had we released images showcasing both a male and female Shepard, people wouldn’t be able to identify who the hero was or what was going on.” Dodging the question of why that hero had to be male, Silverman said BioWare wanted to “acknowledge” the demand for FemShep material.
He also says this about how many people play as a female Commander Shepard:
Overall, 18 percent of everyone who plays Mass Effect plays it with a female character,” Silverman said. He added: “There aren’t enough female heroes in games in general, so it’s something that people can rally around and celebrate. “Jennifer Hale does an absolutely incredible job doing the voice of FemShep, so people really connect with that.
The conclusion - as written by the authour of the article:
It’s notable that FemShep, though a remarkably fit lady whose strength and ability are most attractive, is never presented as a sex object – well, except when rolling around in the hay with a crewmate. If BioWare carries this attitude through its upcoming marketing, FemShep may be one of gaming’s first true feminist and feminine heroes.
Do you agree with this?
More information.

As a radical feminist woman priest I once interviewed pointed out to me when I recklessly asked her about being a "feminine priest": Does a woman need to be feminine and if not why do I keep reinforcing that through my choice of words?

Having women go beyond being sex objects shouldn't be a big step in today's world. Unfortunately computer games are too dominated by stereotypical male teenager fantasies. This means that so called mature games have lots of blood, sex and women in need of rescuing/taking/f***ing. Always the same old virgin, prostitute or possibly intelligent but asexual.

I guess Mass Effect is among the better games. Still not very impressive though.

Of course it is more entertaining than everyday life. I mean who wants to play "Grocery Shopping - Low On Cash", "Raise Your Kids While Working a Pretty Boring Job" or my favourites "Keep the Passion Alive 1 - Even Though I'd Rather Sleep" and "Keep the Passion Alive 2 - Scheduled Sex".

I'm not bitter.

Not a day too soon. EA does own the Sims franchise, so they should know that there are a huge potential market out there that they could reach by actually trying to reach women.

I always played with a female Shepherd. Jennifer Hale does an excellent job, and she is really one of the most talented voice actors out there. I dunno who plays the guy but it's not a big name. People just do not know just how much she have done;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuaD6cC5RpA

That said, I see no "feminism" in FemShep. She speak the same lines as MalShep and I see no particular in-depth struggle against old gender roles. But we could perhaps presume that they are dead at the time ME is placed in.

She speak the same lines as MalShep

There is some differences in both games between Manshep and Femshep. Mostly in introduction dialogs from NPCs (diminishing sexist comments) and the answers Femshep have to them. Out the top of my head:
  1. Meeting Harkin for the 1st time in the first game.
  2. On Omega, the Merc recruiter have a different intro line (which actually give an exclusive Renegade interrupt to Femshep).

Unfortunately computer games are too dominated by stereotypical male teenager fantasies. This means that so called mature games have lots of blood, sex and women in need of rescuing/taking/f***ing. Always the same old virgin, prostitute or possibly intelligent but asexual.

Yes, that's what I see as well - from a subjective point of view.

It's about time that this was changed --- the sooner, the better.

Honestly I prefer the male voice actor, so I play male. I know a lot of people think the opposite. In most games where you can choose I play women solely because women are underrepresented as main characters.

As for women being presented as feminine I don't see any problem with that. The vast majority of women are feminine, so presenting them otherwise on a consistent bases would come off as very unrealistic. That said having some women be masculine would be fine, as long as it does not get out of control.

Reminds me of Russel T. Davies' Doctor Who years where half the couples were either gay or interracial. I have no problem what-so-ever with gay and interracial couples, but them being so common on the show was unrealistic and took me out of the show a bit.

The woman voice actor is far, far superior to the male voice actor in my opinion. I tried the male for a while and quickly deleted the save game and went back to my Doris Shepard.

If I have to listen to one of two voice actors for hours and hours on end, I'm gonna go with the one I like best.

Who ever said minority's dont have the power to change games. Just be very vocal like all disappointed fans to get what you want. I never played a female character in any Bioware game. To each there own I guess.

Last edited:
Who ever said minoritys dont have the power to change games. Just be very vocal like all disappointed fans to get what you want. I never played a female character in any Bioware game. To each there own I guess.

Couchpotato, why are you such a miserable person with horrible grammar? The miserable part I can chalk up to your upbringing, but the horrible grammar is inexcusable as you are a native English speaker.

At least I don't have to suffer you in person.

Sincerely.

I think having the female option is great. For no real reason I chose a female lead in Fallout Vegas. So far I've been pretty disappointed that her gender has zero effect on dialog options. If only developers worried less about awkward and ridiculous sex scenes and more about natural, gender biased dialogs...

Couchpotato, why are you such a miserable person with horrible grammar? The miserable part I can chalk up to your upbringing, but the horrible grammar is inexcusable as you are a native English speaker.

At least I don't have to suffer you in person.

Sincerely.

Such bad trolling.

Sincerely.

I think having the female option is great. For no real reason I chose a female lead in Fallout Vegas. So far I've been pretty disappointed that her gender has zero effect on dialog options. If only developers worried less about awkward and ridiculous sex scenes and more about natural, gender biased dialogs…

I play a female character as well and I see a lot of impact on dialogue.

Such bad trolling.

Sincerely.

It's not trolling. I just dont agree with everything Ovenall says or likes and he takes offense easily. Not everyone has to like something because others do.

Ovenall I Like being an asshole sometimes deal with it. The world isn't made of sunshine were everyone is a nice person.

Like the guy said only 18% of people play as female Shepard. That's not allot of people to cater to. A minority shouldn't influence the game direction.

Last edited:
I agree with Ovenall with Female shepard. Female voice acting is superior over male shepard voice. I always play famale character, so this was a plus for me. Too bad female voice acting was complete rubbish in DA2.

Finally, games are tackling the important issue of life like I always hoped they would. My moral confusion is at an end. Thanks, Boware!

There are so many things wrong with that 18%, stat. Firstly, this is only for the people who, let bioware/ea track there gaming. The majority mostly likely being teens, due to the social networking norm for that age group. Not to mention that age group probably couldn't defend themselves against the peer pressure about going to school and pretending to be cool, while playing the female sheppard. :p

It's not trolling. I just dont agree with everything Ovenall says or likes and he takes offense easily.

Nah, it's just that you are offensive to mankind.

I always find this discussion a little funny. Of course women are sex objects. So are men. That's not the only things they are, though. And it's not like women are portrayed like this only in games. It's in all the stories and for good reason. There are differences between men and women, if you hadn't noticed, and it has allowed us to build up functioning and thriving society. That women may be slightly superficial and stereotypical in stories is simply an act of simplifying, which goes on at the other end as well. Men are the stronger gender, women the fairer. What's so sexist about that? Speaking of which, what is wrong with sexism?

Wikipedia said:
Sexism, also known as gender discrimination or sex discrimination, is the application of the belief or attitude that there are characteristics implicit to one's gender that indirectly affect one's abilities in unrelated areas.

I guess the bolded word is the key reason why sexism is supposed to be a bad thing.

Back
Top Bottom