What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Last Saturday I watched Full Metal Jacket.
Kubrick...no need to say more.

And this Saturday watched Hacksaw Ridge. I found it very good. Some terrible CGI can be seen,that is the biggest minus.
7.5/10

A new trailer for FMA emerged:

Is it just me or they use videogames(TM)horrible_hair?
I mean, feels coo! except that mess on the head.

Almost a month passed, guys, noone watching movies?
At least I can add a trailer then.

Stephen King, The Dark Tower. You've most probably heard about it, I bet some also read those books - I didn't. I wanted the comic.

Luckily I got my hands on the comic before buying it. To me it's a total turn off. Every slide, every box, is simplistic. No rich backgrounds, no additional details, only a, what'd we call in games, linear experience without sidecontent.
Horrible style ment for casuals and totally opposite to masterworks like Locke&Key where almost every scene tells it's own story. An example (I googled just to show some random pagem but it's all like this):

download-6.jpg

A movie based on books is coming this august, and seems it won't look "simplistic". Trailer just appeared:

Elba and McConaughey. I'm definetly watching this.

Of course, one movie can't cover the whole saga, so a series sequel is set for the next year.

Joxer - I was sooo very disappointed in the ending to the final Dark Tower book of the original series (I understand there is or may be another comgin out - haven't read that) that I don't think I can justify spending any more time on the Dark Tower. Such a disappointing ending, given the countless hours I had spent reading the books. King even says in the book that you may not like the ending as it gets close to the end. First time I have seen that in a book...

Can't say anything about that, I told you why I refused to buy comics although I wanted them badly.
Maybe the "voyage" alone is worth it?

I watched Your Name, very beautiful anime movie, the plot was hit and miss though. Some parts were brilliant and some parts were a little bit boring. I would still recommend it though. Maybe I'd give it something like 7 / 10.

It was such a long time since I watched an anime in a movie theater it was really nice, after the huge success of Your Name, I hope more and more such a movies will be showed in the movie theaters.

Last edited:
Joxer - I was sooo very disappointed in the ending to the final Dark Tower book of the original series (I understand there is or may be another comgin out - haven't read that) that I don't think I can justify spending any more time on the Dark Tower. Such a disappointing ending, given the countless hours I had spent reading the books. King even says in the book that you may not like the ending as it gets close to the end. First time I have seen that in a book…

I was disappointed at first too at the ending, but in hindsight, I am honestly content with it. I mean, any end would have been unsatisfactory after that massive 7-book build-up, and after letting it sink in for a while, I like it actually. It makes sense. It's a… testament to the desperation and futility of the setting.

As for the movie, I'm cautiously hyped, but do fear like it might end up a disappointment.
Also, why is the gunslinger black (or did I somehow miss that in the book)? For the sake of political correctness? One of the others of the ka-tet is black, so I'm not sure why that was necessary.

I watched Your Name, very beautiful anime movie, the plot was hit and miss though. Some parts were brilliant and some parts were a little bit boring. I would still recommend it though. Maybe I'd give it something like 7 / 10.

It was such a long time since I watched an anime in a movie theater it was really nice, after the huge success of Your Name, I hope more and more such a movies will be showed in the movie theaters.

I refused to watch that movie - it's advertised as romance. But, if it was a game... ;)

I was disappointed at first too at the ending, but in hindsight, I am honestly content with it. I mean, any end would have been unsatisfactory after that massive 7-book build-up, and after letting it sink in for a while, I like it actually. It makes sense. It's a… testament to the desperation and futility of the setting.

As for the movie, I'm cautiously hyped, but do fear like it might end up a disappointment.
Also, why is the gunslinger black (or did I somehow miss that in the book)? For the sake of political correctness? One of the others of the ka-tet is black, so I'm not sure why that was necessary.

I take your point on the ending, I guess. But gah, I am still disappointed! There was a lot of controversy a year or two ago when it was revealed that they were casting the Gunslinger as black - I think it was assumed the reason for it was as you stated. Back to the endings, I guess endings have always been important to me in books and movies (not in games so much - I have low expectations there)... I always felt like an episode of something like the Outer Limits or Black Mirror was either great or awful depending on the ending.

Looks promising, although I wish Hollywood came up with an alternative for the Teal & Orange filter.

And since when do they put a 7 second mini trailer for the real trailer in front of the latter? I can guess the reason but seriously ...

Last edited:
+1 for the trailer, and another one for the scorn of orange and teal abuse.

I recognize the actress who impressed me in the Black Mirror episode, San Junipero.

That trailer looks good.

Not the biggest Blade Runner fan, but I'm looking forward to this one. Especially since Scott didn't direct it.

Trailer looks good. Not a fan of the casting Ryan Gosling in the lead, though; he and his lost puppydog look bore me.

I'm not too bothered about Gosling. He's flavor of the month in Hollywood, and probably comes as part of the package with a deal on this scale. Sometimes actors can make or break a film, but more often than not IMO, if the direction and writing is right, any set of reasonably talented performers can make it work.

Yeah, but the problem here is that both Gosling and the director are the flavor of the month in that way. They're both quite competent at what they do, but vastly overrated.

At least, that's how I feel about them.

Luckily for me, I'm not invested in Blade Runner like I was with Alien - so I don't need the movie to be anything special - just a visual feast.

After Prometheus, it was cemented for me that Scott has lost it completely. I already know in my heart that Covenant will be crap - and another Blade Runner would be just another joke.

So, it could be a lot worse :)

I do get the sense that the plot will have a greater emphasis on confrontation between two factions than there was in the first film. That's one thing I still love about the original: the theme of the movie was murky and never simply 'us vs them' in a neat package. In this vein, I hope the movie expands on Philip k Dick's existential questions rather than simply being yet another forgettable action flick.

Well, in my opinion there's really not much you can say about this subject that hasn't already been said a million times over. It wasn't a new concept in 1982 either.

How do we treat AI "slaves" and what does it feel like not being human but still fully conscious? I mean, do we really need yet another movie posing the exact same questions once again with no answers?

I don't know. Unless there's something genuinely new about it - I don't see it being that interesting.

Then again, Westworld and Her had some pretty cool twists on the subject. But I don't see this kind of potential blockbuster going anywhere near that kind of depth.

Back
Top Bottom