The TV Series discussion thread

Yeah while I liked what happened within the content of USS Callister, the premise totally sucked. But I blame myself as I momentarily seemed to have forgotten that is sort of the theme of the series, lol.

In any case, if you divorced that universe from a computer connection and made a show out of it, I'd watch it.

Knightfall. I was pretty excited to see a series on Templar knights but it is utterly incompetent from plot to pacing and historical accuracy is out the door.

What do you get when you combine Bladerunner, Twin Peaks, and Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash? Altered Carbon, a cyberpunk Netflix series. Very riveting television!

Knightfall. I was pretty excited to see a series on Templar knights but it is utterly incompetent from plot to pacing and historical accuracy is out the door.

That was one giant turd indeed. I had to turn it off during the pilot episode for the reasons you mentioned.

What do you get when you combine Bladerunner, Twin Peaks, and Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash? Altered Carbon, a cyberpunk Netflix series. Very riveting television!

Sounds like a my kind of show! I'll definitely check it out. :)

I remember suggesting this a few months ago when it first came out; I enjoyed it!!

I tried watching Altered Carbon, because I'm a semi-fan of the novels, but the television version just didn't work for me. Maybe it was just an overload on stimuli, I only watched the first three episodes and then gave up.

Knightfall improves slightly in later episodes but just as you start to think it might be good it insults your intelligence in dramatic fashion. Sadly it’s the main plot where everything gets horribly stupid. There is simply no hope for this thing. Altered Carbon was ok. To me it felt too disjointed and crammed with too much going on. Poor pacing. But still a good story with lots of content added that’s not in the short book.

I spent this morning watching a few episodes of Deep Space Nine, still hands-down the best Trek iteration of all time. And that includes any and all Trek movies as well. Wish this series would get an upgrade from the old format, though.

I spent this morning watching a few episodes of Deep Space Nine, still hands-down the best Trek iteration of all time. And that includes any and all Trek movies as well. Wish this series would get an upgrade from the old format, though.
Babylon 5 is so much better. The past years I'm trying to view all st shows in order, never saw them when I was young.

Just finished season 1 of Enterprise. Heard it gets a lot better in season 2. I really hope so, as now it just can't keep my attention.

I guess I will be finished after Enterprise. Or wait no, watched the first 5 episodes of tos but it just aged too badly for me

I'm one of the very few that liked Enterprise! It can be boring at times, yes, but the writing, from what I recall, was a lot less contrived than what we had in Voyager.

Babylon Five is certainly superior, but it is not Star Trek. My comparison was strictly limited to the Star Trek realm =).

Enterprise was a weird creature. Honestly, I truly thought it was finally hitting its stride in season four, when it got canned. But compared to Deep Space Nine....well, let's not even do that.

Babylon 5 is something I keep meaning to check out. I've never even seen a single episode.

TNG is my favorite ST series, but to be fair, there's a lot of DS9 and Voyager I've never seen.

Babylon 5 is something I keep meaning to check out. I've never even seen a single episode.
Stop to keep meaning and just do. ;)

I was never interested in the series when it originally aired, but binge-watched it years later and am very glad I did. It was very hard to get into when you hadn't seen everything from the beginning due to the overarching story line, contrary to Star Trek where every episode was pretty much self-contained.

To me the Star Treks depend on their seasons:
TNG I liked the middle seasons.
DS9 I liked the last seasons.
Voyager I liked the first seasons.
Enterprise I liked the first season and the last season.

To me the Star Treks depend on their seasons:
TNG I liked the middle seasons.
DS9 I liked the last seasons.
Voyager I liked the first seasons.
Enterprise I liked the first season and the last season.

that's pretty good, I wanna play

TOS: Pretty good the FIRST two times viewing, afterwards lame.

TNG: A bunch of stinkers mixed in with a lot of all time classic best episodes through out its run. (still sad Michele Forbes could not be got for DS9)

DS9: The last season was the absolute best arch story for ALL Treks

Voyager: Once you get over Janeway, a number of excellent episodes but not as many classics as TNG, but very view stinker episodes

Enterprise: Once they ditched the Rod Steward cover for the theme, the show picks up immensely in quality in short, the last 2 seasons. I wanted more.

New Trek: waiting for DVD or free cable....no opinion yet

Voyager: Once you get over Janeway, a number of excellent episodes but not as many classics as TNG, but very view stinker episodes
I still have nightmares from some Naomi Wildman episode where a hologram or something from childish stories appears and keeps her company spilling the most stupid dialogue I've seen on TV. It's the worst episode I've ever seen in any Star Trek show. Hell in any show.

I still have nightmares from some Naomi Wildman episode where a hologram or something from childish stories appears and keeps her company spilling the most stupid dialogue I've seen on TV. It's the worst episode I've ever seen in any Star Trek show. Hell in any show.

Yeah, one of the few episodes I will not rewatch. It suffers from a common malady in many sci fi stories. A great premise that was a complete failure in implementation. The premise being a totally alien entity misunderstood our treatment of Naomi and thought we federation folks were torturing her. Variations of this theme are present in just about all the Treks.

In this episode, the first time I saw it, I never bought into the premise that the alien was so alien, it misunderstood basic parenting.

Voyager should have been excellent, and failed. The cast was pretty solid, not perfect but good, and the premise for a Star Trek show was quite different and innovative. It just seemed so lackluster, overall. To me the potential was so high, and it barely got above average.

Voyager and DS9 were always superior to me than TNG. TNG hasn't aged well where I can still watch the other. But Voyager and DS9 do have quite a rough go of it for some seasons - where TNG had a lot of rough seasons and episodes before hitting their stride in the last few seasons.

Voyager's first season had a great premise (and not just ripping off the Lost in Space cliche) with some awful episodes (Amelia Airheart) and some outright stupid new agey ideas. Kess hit her stride in season 3 just when they got rid of her, and as much as I liked 7, there were just way too many episodes of her.

DS9 started off incredible, though Kira was not believable except in the pilot. It started going downhill after they got rid of Keiko O'Brien and really faltered by bringing Worf into the series. This completely ruined the chemistry the cast had built and the writers forgot that, at least on paper, Miles and Worf were supposed to be really good friends - at least off camera (O'Brien helped to organize and attended his pain stick ceremony). Things got back onstride with the war/invasion of shapeshifters, which affected the mood of TNG movies and even leaked out to Voyager as they learned the Maquis were no more. Around this time Avery Brooks story had mostly finished and he became more of a director then the central character - an interesting premise where the main character becomes the supporting character for the ensemble. The final season was lousy except for the new character.

My favourite of all time though is the TAS.

Back
Top Bottom