General News - Games like Might & Magic and Wizardy @ Wizard Worm

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Wizard Worm presents six RPGs in the tradition of the Wizardry and Might & Magic series:

Top 6 Upcoming Games Like Might and Magic & Wizardy (2022-2023)

00:40 A Quest That Became Legend
01:42 Legendary Journeys
02:40 Archquest
03:39 Archaelund
05:07 Aledorn
05:49 The Fellowship Saga
More information.

Simply, looking forward to each and every single one of them. They look more M&M than Wizardry (and even then we have the original 1-5 Wizardries, and 6&7 Wizardries which are also simulation rpgs as D W Bradley calls them).

Last edited:
Archaelund is the only game that interests me on that list. Only because it has a first person view while you play , and an isometric turn-based RPG view for combat.:)

ooooh nice!
A Quest That Became Legend looks even nicer!

Archaelund is the only game that interests me on that list. Only because it has a first person view while you play , and an isometric turn-based RPG view for combat.:)

Its by the developer of Exiled Kingdoms. I too look forward to it - it probably looks the most professional from the videos.

Thanks for this! I knew of a couple already, but not all. In a time when there are *too many* games coming out and many people are spoiled for choice, it's practically a crime that we go years in between half-decent blobbers.

The 2 crpg franchises that made me fall in love with computer gaming.

That's too bad about the Fellowship Saga. I finished the demo last summer and really enjoyed it.

Sadly, I can only assume from the dearth of blobbers that they must not sell all that well. Lords of Xulima was a great game that most of us enjoyed, but its developer went in a totally different direction for their next game, and I doubt they regret it. LOX has peak players on Steam of 646, They are Billions, their next game, has peak players of 22,295 (I won't be playing it).

I assume blobbers aren't super development intensive. I'm playing Bard's Tale 2 from the remastered trilogy right now and really enjoying it - I doubt it would take a huge amount of effort to make a similar game with similar graphics today. Even that trilogy only has 690 peak players. Might and Magic X is another great example that was a great game that didn't sell well. Very unfortunate. Maybe more blobbers need to be kickstarted so that they can guarantee their sales up front, but of course KS has plenty of risks for us as consumers... I remember when I was considering pledging to Arakion many years ago, and it still hasn't been released, glad I didn't.

The 2 crpg franchises that made me fall in love with computer gaming.

That's too bad about the Fellowship Saga. I finished the demo last summer and really enjoyed it.

What is too bad about Fellowship Saga ?

Would have been nice if Bard’s Tale 4 hadn’t turned out to be terrible…

Blobbers peaked with Wizardry 8 imo. The last blobber I really enjoyed was Legend of Grimrock 2, and the last turn-based blobber was probably M&M X.

There are still plenty of blobbers from indie devs. It's just that good ones are hard to find.

Archaelund has been on my Steam wishlist for what seems like an eternity. I do wish the combat didn't go into an isometric view though. I think doing it like Might & Magic 6/7/8 would work better with the style of dungeon exploration they're doing. Feels jarring to jump out of it like that.

This "Quest that became Legend" looks good too, and I hadn't heard about it yet.

Hells Bells...Thank Goodness that there's a written list of the games...That accent...I only understood about 5% of what he was saying. But I enjoyed the actual video..some things to look forward to....

Blobbers peaked with Wizardry 8 imo. The last blobber I really enjoyed was Legend of Grimrock 2, and the last turn-based blobber was probably M&M X.

There are still plenty of blobbers from indie devs. It's just that good ones are hard to find.

Starcrawlers and Operencia were quite good as well - although I found the latter to be a bit puzzle-heavy. I am looking forward to the above games greatly; hopefully they aren't vaporware.

Sadly, I can only assume from the dearth of blobbers that they must not sell all that well. Lords of Xulima was a great game that most of us enjoyed, but its developer went in a totally different direction for their next game, and I doubt they regret it. LOX has peak players on Steam of 646, They are Billions, their next game, has peak players of 22,295 (I won't be playing it).

I assume blobbers aren't super development intensive. I'm playing Bard's Tale 2 from the remastered trilogy right now and really enjoying it - I doubt it would take a huge amount of effort to make a similar game with similar graphics today. Even that trilogy only has 690 peak players. Might and Magic X is another great example that was a great game that didn't sell well. Very unfortunate. Maybe more blobbers need to be kickstarted so that they can guarantee their sales up front, but of course KS has plenty of risks for us as consumers... I remember when I was considering pledging to Arakion many years ago, and it still hasn't been released, glad I didn't.
For games that as you say should be easy to make, a lot of them aren't very well made or have many issues that make them not sell well.

I really had fun with Lords of Xulima, but the game is ultra repetitive and long. There aren't many gamers who want to play the same arc 5 times in slightly different regions with slightly different monsters. Baby ravens, adult ravens and senior ravens are still all ravens. Blue swordsman, yellow swordsman and purple swordsman are all swordsmen.

Game coud have been better if shorter and with more variety.

I believe might and Magic 10 going grid based probably scared off anyone who wasn't playing games in the 90s. Other than making it more retro, it just didn't do much for a new game. It's one of the main reasons I didn't like it.

But yes, these kinds of games just are not as popular anymore.

Starcrawlers and Operencia were quite good as well - although I found the latter to be a bit puzzle-heavy. .

Operencia was a great looking and playing game. My only gripe, and it was a big one, was that it was far too scripted, far too linear, and you were forced to take the party they gave you.

Give me Operencia with a fully unlocked player-made party and I'd be in heaven.

One that I don't see mentioned in the thread and I did enjoy was Fall of the Dungeon Guardians. Very similar to Legend of Grimrock and had pretty tough boss fights that required coming up with strategies to beat them and such. It had its flaws, but definitely one of the few games in the genre I managed to enjoy since MMX.

Nice, looking forward to all of these. If "Dungeon Kingdom - sign of the moon" ever leaves early access that looks like my kind of thing too

It seems nuts that there are all these games actively marketing themselves as being like M&M or HOMM and ubisoft can't be bothered doing anything with the IP other than some mobile games.

Back
Top Bottom