Larian Studios - Website Tease

The problem is not the art style as such -

- the problem is that is is EVERYWHERE NOW.

Nintendo is the ONLY company I know of doing colourful ganes AT ALL.
That's interesting.
In my subjective perception those "colorful" games are all over the place today and became a lot more common in the last few years.
I don't want to say that you are wrong - I guess we need a study with proper definitions of "colorful", "grim" etc. for games and a classification of the released games.
If I want to see grimdark, then I merely need to open the newspaper and read about the Syrian war.
I think this is something that's worth pointing out.
Some people seem to "inherit" the mood / emotions of the media they are consuming. For example a lot of people don't like the music genre "metal" because the "aggressive" character you can find in a lot of metal tracks seems to influence there mood directly.
I guess I would go mad if media would work this way for me.

*snip*

I think this is something that's worth pointing out.
Some people seem to "inherit" the mood / emotions of the media they are consuming. For example a lot of people don't like the music genre "metal" because the "aggressive" character you can find in a lot of metal tracks seems to influence there mood directly.
I guess I would go mad if media would work this way for me.

Yes, that is interesting indeed. Metal is often perceived as aggressive and making people aggressive. Yes to the first, BS to the second. After a stressful day at work there is nothing more relaxing than driving home with some good Deathmetal (Be'lakor for example).

I think @Alrik Fassbauer; only used "Syria" as an analogy. Every war is a tragedy, as is any event where people die. The human brain has a mechanism to cancel out tragic news that are not connected to your personal life. Otherwise we could not stop weeping ever. Some can cope better than others though, and there are even people without that mechanism who get broken by all the misery in the world.
As a matter of fact we never had so little war/people dying in wars as of right now. I know the 24/7 access to news paints another picture (as it does with other topics). We can only try to make sense of the input we get.

As for computer games, I want mine to be immersive. I cannot have this with comic graphics. In most games we have opponents to overcome and in most cases that means killing them. Killing is bloody, so I want to see blood. If a game world is ravaged by war I want to see that. I don't revel in cruelty, but I want my (fantasy) games to feel real and immersive. That's what I like about grimdark WH40K. The Imperium of Man is made out of fascist asshats and religious fanatics and they don't hide it. It is your job as a human to see behind the propaganda and just playing as a Space Marine doesn't make you one. I don't (usually) connect fiction to reality, so for me grimdark it is.

but objectively turn-based RPG/tactics games were more successful in the last few years than RTwP. Point in case, Phoenix Point raking in millions in a time where Kickstarters struggle more often than not, and PoE II getting a turn-based mode ad-hoc.

Objectively, games like Fortnite and PUBG were far more successful than anything turn-based, so maybe they should go with that style. ;)

As a matter of fact we never had so little war/people dying in wars as of right now. I know the 24/7 access to news paints another picture (as it does with other topics). We can only try to make sense of the input we get.

I just had to quote this as I have read a couple of articles/news bits saying the same.

The media does a great job of making everything seem like its the worst ever. That isn't to say, by any stretch of the imagination, the world isn't facing a lot of major issues that we may or may not be able to solve/survive. But some of the things that seem to be worse because of the media are not - at least based on various studies I have read.

As for color - I can think of plenty of colorful games if by color it means brighter colors versus say happy emotional games. I considered Kingmaker rather colorful as it has a bit of a cartoonish like art style.

On the other hand ATOM RPG is very much a grimdark like style visually. I considered POE2 somewhat colorful in nature and certainly DDOS2.

There is grimdark in emotion and/or visuals. I have also seen games on steam and watched the videos that were extremely colorful.

To be more on topic - Larians humor doesn't bother me (outside of the sneak mode) but at the same time not a huge fan either. I just ignore it for the most part. So not sure I seem them as a good fit for a BG3 but so much depends on just what is meant by a BG3 game in general.

I think they could do it although TB games, I admit, are not my favorite style of game although I can deal with it if the game has a lot of other qualities I really like.

Objectively, games like Fortnite and PUBG were far more successful than anything turn-based, so maybe they should go with that style. ;)

That was a cheap shot! :lol:

XCOM and D:OS blew the door wide open for turn-based. RTwP is far behind nowadays. PoE I, II and Kingmaker were successful (the one more than the other), but on a whole different scale.

And yet TW3 was the most popular recent RPG which was RT, not TB ;)

Honestly, the game I'm currently playing is Dragon Quest eleven, and if every single game in existence was made in this style, I'd be fine with that. It's turn based combat at it's very best, you can see most everything on the screen with no difficulty, and the story is compelling. I've no idea how popular the game actually is, but I know what I like. The newest offering from Larian could do far worse than emulating this game in all aspects.

And yet TW3 was the most popular recent RPG which was RT, not TB ;)

True, but I won't compare twitch combat to TB or RTwP. For TW3 combat was the weakest part (loot was a close second). I would only replay TW3 with combat mods.

True, but I won't compare twitch combat to TB or RTwP. For TW3 combat was the weakest part (loot was a close second). I would only replay TW3 with combat mods.

The loot system was easily the weakest part of TW3. The combat was far from perfect (like most games), but it's not as bad as some make it out to be.

Fairly certain the most successful RPG in recent years with tactical combat is DA: I, which is RTwP, followed by D: OS2, which is TB. Both systems can be very successful.

If they wanted to make another TB game, go for D: OS3. If they're actually making BG3, stick with RTwP since that's what BG1 and 2 had.

He said "IMO" or did you miss that? Not sure why you would have a problem with him having an opinion when everyone else in this thread is doing the exact same thing.

99% of internet discussions content is someones opinion. Dont really need "IMO" to realize that. Still dont see problem to reply as I did.

The more I think about it the more I would like to have big D&D game with fully fledged TB combat. If Larian treats BG legacy and D&D ruleset with respect, the outcome might be really outstanding game. Anyway, I will survive even if it turns out to be RtWP.
Just hope its not Dragon Commander in Forgotten Realms setting ... ;-)

99% of internet discussions content is someones opinion. Dont really need "IMO" to realize that. Still dont see problem to reply as I did.

You seemed to take issue with his opinion in particular despite the fact that he wasn't really bashing anything like you claimed. I'm guessing you wouldn't have had a problem if he said he preferred turn-based over real-time, right?

You seemed to take issue with his opinion in particular despite the fact that he wasn't really bashing anything like you claimed. I'm guessing you wouldn't have had a problem if he said he preferred turn-based over real-time, right?

You may assume and accuse of whatever you wish. No way to stop that in internet discussion. Just dont see much point either.

You may assume and accuse of whatever you wish. No way to stop that in internet discussion. Just dont see much point either.

I'm not assuming anything. Just pointing out what you did. If you want to pretend otherwise though that's cool. Carry on...

I'm not assuming anything. Just pointing out what you did. If you want to pretend otherwise though that's cool. Carry on…

What I did. Ok.

Based on statement: "IMO DD and EGO Draconis are better games then DOS1+2"
I dared to comment: "That seems more like usual mistake of personal preferences for general game quality".

I made logical assumption and by used expession at the same time I left some space for mistake on my side. Whats your problem?

Personally, I would be very pleased if Larian went semi-old school in their approach and chose to honour gold box era games. Take the area known to the Baldur's Gate universe and mold it in the gold box image, and I'm not sure about how the kiddies would line up for it, but every single fan that played those games back in the day would pony up immediately!

Whatever they decide, I'll likely give it a full chance, even though I'm not the biggest fan of their last attempt at a game.

Back
Top Bottom