What games are you playing now?

Its a question if old games were really that good or if they were just good because they were a new experience. When I say old I mean back in the mid 90's or earlier. I personally think some of the games in the early 2000 were really good they just lack graphic fidelity but most of the really early games that I remember were very simplistic by any standards including both technical and conceptual.

Ah, yeah, I’d totally agree to that.

Personally I started with RPGs in the mid 90s and the oldest RPG I played before was Wizardry 6. And in the beginning of the 90s you can still see some weird and by todays standard totally outdated game systems, like straight adaptations from Pen and Paper systems which just hardly work in a Computer environment. Like random rolls for character creation and development, which you can just maximize by loading as you don’t have the “Master” of a pen and paper game which would prohibit that (and on the other hand would also kind of protect your party from most horrible luck). You can still find that in the EOtB and Realms of Arkania games.

There is actually a great podcast by Sothis Spielwiese (German) covering the really early RPGs from 79 onwards. And there you had even more extreme simplifications. As in “just enter your character values and when you stop playing, note them down. Next time you start, just manually enter the values you noted down”. Pretty much the same principle as random character rolls, just that it’s now completely in the player’s hand.

So yeah, I am glad that RPGs developed forward quite a bit since then. However, there are some elements which were missed for quite a while. Turn based combat (which only came back a couple of years ago, but was dead for over 10 years) and in terms of crawlers I’d like to see some more World Building, Story and special events like you had in the EotB games, Wizardrdys and Co.

The classic Bards Tale however…doesn’t really have anything. Yeah, technically the combat is turnbased, but it’s so hands-off and un-tactical, that it’s more like a browser game, where you do basic settings and then wait for the next day to get the combat result.

Since I was on an older game kick with Arcanum, which I've put on hold for now, I started a playthrough of System Shock 1 Enhanced Edition. I've never played it before, but am surprised how playable it is. I expected to not be able to play at all. And it's suprising how the gameplay mechanics are present in Deus Ex games of today. Except for the really old graphics.

But I'm not sure if I'll be able to finish. Thing is my time is limited, so I'm not sure if it's worth playing right now just to check it off my list. Or maybe I should just leave them for years later

Finally finished the main story of Days Gone. God, what a slog of a game! Soooooo long, way longer than it needed to. Game could have been 1/3 the size and I'd still leave satisfied. Didn't help it that the story doesn't carry the game. At least the base gameplay was still fun, killing zombies, hordes, and clearing enemy camps.

Enviado do meu SM-N960F através do Tapatalk

Since I was on an older game kick with Arcanum, which I've put on hold for now, I started a playthrough of System Shock 1 Enhanced Edition. I've never played it before, but am surprised how playable it is. I expected to not be able to play at all. And it's suprising how the gameplay mechanics are present in Deus Ex games of today. Except for the really old graphics.

But I'm not sure if I'll be able to finish. Thing is my time is limited, so I'm not sure if it's worth playing right now just to check it off my list. Or maybe I should just leave them for years later

While I think SS is still a great game even today, you might want to just wait for the remaster at this point since it's going to be released within the next year.

Aye, I hear they're releasing it in a bundle with Star Citizen. ;)

Playing Original Sin 2 (I even backed the first one on KS, but ehm, another game I never got around playing).

I'm 12h in or so. Combat can be quite annoying with all the AOE's. It feels like everyone is constantly on fire in combat, no matter who you're fighting.
Not a huge fan of some of the enemy types. E.g Crocodile - "hmm crocodile.. what would make sense for a crocodile - i know, lets make them able to teleport and stir up black rocks from the ground which puts out black goo! AND they should probably be able to have some kind of lazers (ok.. that last one was a lie..). It's a bit too JRPG-silly for my taste, at times at least.

I love the art here and how the environments looks. Such amazing looking landscape in the first area you get to, very tastefully done.

It feels kind of linear but i'm hoping it opens up later. I like the characters, they're quite fun. Playing as Fane, he's so far probably the most anonymous one of the bunch.

The interface is so-so.. i hate the absolutely gigantic dialogue boxes in cut scenes, they cover at least 40% of the screen, looks so silly and ugly. I'm not able to find anywhere what Class my characters are either, would be fun to know, though i think i have a decent grasp of what everyone is. I wanted to check what i selected for my own, i think it was Witch (witcher?). I'm still also not sure if the character i created has any advantage over any other character, since i can switch at any time etc.

All in all, quite fun. It'll get better i'm sure once i get better at the game.

Last edited:
Not sure if I posted about this and too lazy to look: I've been playing a survival game with minor role-playing elements. It is titled Road to Eden; which is a mistake because there is a vastly popular game called Mutant Year Zero that had a huge expansion called Road to Eden. Oh well!

So, you're a dude that was knocked out while away from home. You're looking for your wife and daughter but also need to survive an alien/zombie apocalypse. Your enemies are mostly zombie types and skeletons but there are also some mutated creatures here and there. Bears have also gone feral and are one of the worst enemies you can face.

Game elements are building, crafting, looting, exploration with a small amount of rpg elements via skill cards and skill points that you earn as you play. For instance you can increase your resistance to thirst or hunger or invest in the aiming ability to be more accurate with ranged weapons, etc.

I've put 100 hours into it but I'm very much inclined to play the hiking simulator/exploration/loot type games. YMMV.

Oops, forgot something important. This game is Early Access and the Dev is from France and uses discord to keep in touch with his audience. I've chatted with him several times and he's very open to suggestions and is pretty quick to squash bugs; though it takes a while to get that into the current build. This game is online only too, but I play it as SP and so do a ton of folks. Pretty typical. You could think of this game as a 7 days to die wannabe and not be far from the mark.

Returned to City of Heroes for the first time since its closure 7 years ago. It's been running on private servers for a couple months now and it's just as much casual fun as I remember!

I know it's a bit unusual - and I know that a lot of people don't RP - even in RPGs.

But my personality requires me to be able to "justify" my actions, even when I'm playing pretend. Don't ask me why, as it's not really by conscious choice.

I RP even in games like Diablo.

I get sort of queasy when I act directly counter to my own "value-set" - and that's not a comfortable feeling.

I can do it to a certain extent, when I can put myself in a situation where my life would be very different, like with Niko in GTA 4. Well, if I don't think too hard when slaughtering wave after wave of people :)

But I can't quite find myself in the role of Trevor. It's beyond my capacity to RP :)
I just gave GTAV a whirl because it's cheap on Fanatical right now to see if it was any better than GTAIII which I dumped after 10 minutes. The world IS a lot more realistic to look at, no more clone mobs, but where are the cops?? I had the same problem with the earlier game... you can go crazy, driving over pedestrians and crashing into everything without any consequence. For a game that's built around crime, I need to feel the presence of the police. No wonder crime is this bad in the city with none around!

I just gave GTAV a whirl because it's cheap on Fanatical right now to see if it was any better than GTAIII which I dumped after 10 minutes. The world IS a lot more realistic to look at, no more clone mobs, but where are the cops?? I had the same problem with the earlier game… you can go crazy, driving over pedestrians and crashing into everything without any consequence. For a game that's built around crime, I need to feel the presence of the police. No wonder crime is this bad in the city with none around!

Been a while since i played but you definitely couldn't go crazy, you can even keep track of how crazy you are doing with the meter.. running over someone or running into a car might give you a free pass though, but continue like that and the meter will rise and police will eventually show up. It's not very realistic, it's basically like its been from the start, it's kind of arcade'ey.

If i recall correctly; if you've broken then law and there's still a slight reading on the crime meter and you drive pass a cop he will stop you. Also if a cop sees you doing something he will obviously not let you get away with it.

The only police I have seen so far were smoking outside the station. Not sure what this crime meter is you are talking about, I'll have to google that and see if there is a mod to boost it.

I have played through two games and started a new one.

I played through Battle Brothers for one full length campaign (2 end game crises finished) on Beginner Ironman. That was a lot of fun. I do think the new DLC is the best of all of them.

I played through a full campaign of Total War 3K too. It's probably one of the better TW games for a long time.

I just started playing Vampyr. It looks like it will be a very fun game and I am tempted to go full pacifist, but not sure I'll manage...

The only police I have seen so far were smoking outside the station. Not sure what this crime meter is you are talking about, I'll have to google that and see if there is a mod to boost it.

They're the stars that shows up, one can come up and vaguely blink and disappear (for a more petty crime) and it goes all the way to 5 or whatever, when you reach 5 helicopters, SWAT etc shows up. It's exactly like it's been for some 20 years in the series.

I've never heard the complaint about too few cops i think, most people complain they're far too aggressive and hindering them. Maybe its been patched, havent played the latest in ages. I do remember i had to speed from the cops quite often (you can enter a garage to hide, you can also repaint your car, just like in the previous games)

I completed my replay of the original Valkyria Chronicles, good memories revisited from a great game. Instead of plowing straight into the newest VC iteration, I instead opted to finally give Neverwinter Nights: extended edition a gander. Not sure I'll play the entire thing, as I did some testing for this about two years ago, but so far I'm enjoying see it again.

It's exactly like it's been for some 20 years in the series.
I can believe that... as I said it's one of the reasons I quit GTA III after 10 minutes - I couldn't get over how stupid it was. I have downloaded the RDE mod for more advanced cops so we'll see if I can tolerate it then. Also hate being railroaded in missions, do anything except what you are told and "Mission Failed". Why does Franklin complain so much about doing things he does anyway? Why doesn't he just tell Lamar to shove it?? Because the game won't let you. I'm going to try the mod but I really don't think this one's for me. Pity because the world is kinda cool.

Well, after maybe ten hours in Neverwinter Nights, I've ran into numerous chests that cannot be open or smashed, and from what I can remember from my original play, some of these have quest items that you need. I find that very discouraging, and since it's already happened at least three times to date, I just might put this one on the shelve and look into something else.

I can believe that… as I said it's one of the reasons I quit GTA III after 10 minutes - I couldn't get over how stupid it was. I have downloaded the RDE mod for more advanced cops so we'll see if I can tolerate it then. Also hate being railroaded in missions, do anything except what you are told and "Mission Failed". Why does Franklin complain so much about doing things he does anyway? Why doesn't he just tell Lamar to shove it?? Because the game won't let you. I'm going to try the mod but I really don't think this one's for me. Pity because the world is kinda cool.

yeah it's arcade-like when it comes to missions as well, they are best seen as mini-games of sort that you should do pretty much like you're asked to or they'll fail. it makes somewhat sense though, that if you're hired to do something you must stick to doing that or gtfo. but yes i understand what you mean, it can be quite irritating sometimes, eventually i do tend to get into it and the various rules that the games has.

It's a game series that could evolve a lot, especially for dialogue options and less linear missions. I personally enjoy RDR and RDR 2 a bit more. Seems like RDR2 will eventually come out for PC.. but there's no definitive "yes" yet.

RDR2 will appear on PC for sure, noone would want to pass that more millions of $ opportunity.
The problem Rockstar is faced with is - modders. By that I don't mean reshade rubbish. :D
Expect removal of atrocious filler (looting animations that last for too long for example) which in the end will make the game on PC superior to console version even if the developer doesn't change anything in the port. And then console audience might not be happy...

I gave They are Billions a try and uninstalled it after a few hours.

It's the zombie apocalypse RTS game from the makers of Lords of Xulima. I thought it looked cool, but I didn't find it enjoyable at all. It's hardcore to say the least, but not in a good way imo. I failed the first mission 3 times, and I used to be pretty good at RTS games.

There are multiple ways to fail the missions, and they all have a time limit. Add the fact that there's no save-load system during missions and it's just a recipe for frustration more than anything. I might try it again in the future but only if they make some serious changes to the game balance.

Going to try A Plague Tale: Innocence next.

Was this total war warhammer 1 or 2 ? ALso which dlc do you have/use ?

I have played through two games and started a new one.

I played through Battle Brothers for one full length campaign (2 end game crises finished) on Beginner Ironman. That was a lot of fun. I do think the new DLC is the best of all of them.

I played through a full campaign of Total War 3K too. It's probably one of the better TW games for a long time.

I just started playing Vampyr. It looks like it will be a very fun game and I am tempted to go full pacifist, but not sure I'll manage…

Back
Top Bottom