Baldur's Gate 3 - Early Access in August?

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Baldur's Gate 3 will be an Early Access title on Steam. Larian is planning for this August.

Get ready to venture forth. Baldur's Gate 3 is planned for an August 2020 Early Access launch on Steam and Stadia.

Almost exactly one year after we originally announced Baldur's Gate 3 and months after our World Gameplay Reveal at PAX East earlier this year, here we are with a new trailer to help showcase the tone of the game and get you pumped up for the road to Early Access.

Plus we discuss the impact of Covid19 on development and we reveal our plans for a new gameplay live stream so you can see the magic that we've been working on. Roll with us, June 18, on twitch.tv/dnd/
More information.

I was hoping for a new gameplay video this weekend but I guess I will have to wait until June 18th. I am growing tired of these announcements of the announcements :p
Anyway, the game is looking good and I look forward to playing it. But I am not sure if I am going to play it on early access. I am traumatized by the state of earlier releases versions of some recent games.

Early Cancer, as I call it.

Zero interest on seeing Alpha/Beta gameplay of a game I want to get totally immersed into plaguing in every game site, twitch stream and social media platform. I wanna see spoilers of this game only when it's fully ready and only when I have it downloaded in my machine, discovering it all by myself. Why they had to do this with a game like Baldur's Gate 3 is beyond me, but nothing I can do about it.

Guess I'll take some internet vacations starting August.

CouchPotato recently created a poll thread where he asks if we play Alphas, Betas and the like, and I posted "No, even if the game interests me". Sure, BG III interests me a lot but I won't ruin my fun playing its unfinished (Beta, Early Access, you name it) version.

As for your internet vacations, I think they'll be quite long - I believe the game will not be officially released before Summer 2021.

I will likely not play the EA to no spoil the game to me, but I have to say the maps with the climbable buildings (inside and out) look absolutely fantastic.

I will purchase in EA, but won't play it till full release. It was great watching DOS 2 in EA.

Yep, i also don't play any EA Games with a unfinished Campaign. I'm still having Encased and Atom-Trudograd sitting untouched in my Steam library, cause of said reasons.

They presented characters and already started to change their visual appearance? Why? Was that girl with circlet too cute or girly, not fit with feminists or some other of those modern idiocy categories?

Two reasons I won't buy early access.
1. I have no time nor patience to betatest anything anymore.
2. After DOS2 I refuse to play anything but skeleton MC, thus I need the release version and a mod to allow me do that.

If however I get to play illithid or mindflayer as a main character, scratch both points above and I'll join early access! :D
modern idiocy categories?
Why such negativity?
Watched some hollywood movie recently so you need to blow off some steam?
Artemis Fowl?
Yea… Chill, videogames aren't guilty for such abominations.

Why such negativity?
Watched some hollywood movie recently so you need to blow off some steam?
Artemis Fowl?
Yea… Chill, videogames aren't guilty for such abominations.

.....:S

Early Access already? Well there goes the iota of hope I had that this wouldn't be a D:OS2 copy/paste job. I wish OwlCat had secured these rights instead.

Early Access already? Well there goes the iota of hope I had that this wouldn't be a D:OS2 copy/paste job. I wish OwlCat had secured these rights instead.
This just makes 100% more sense from the WotC perspective. DOS2 sold and is still selling enough to make Larian an AAA studio over night and gave them a dragon age budget to splurge on a forgotten realms game. BG3 is going to catapult forgotten realms into AAA mainstream. What's OwlCat gonna offer them that rivals that kind of revenue and brand visibility?

I'm all for early access - I have no problem staying away, and all the faithful early adopters do a fine job of QA testing. :p

In an era when games have "patch roadmaps", I think most releases are early access - in practice if not in name. I wait for the "definitive editions".

As i said in the other thread I’ve no problem with early access and will be trying it out in august. My admittedly few EA titles I’ve played have been very positive experiences.

I don’t remember encountering a single bug in blackguards. Had to play it episodically but that was fine.

I’m sure they’re EA games that are shit shows but I’m pretty sure larian will make sure it’s a solid experience even in EA.

wow so fast. but i'd like to know when final version will be out

I don’t think its too quick. Do we even know when they started working on it. I’m sure it was well before they announced it.

Also they already have the D:OS engine. It’s more like a professional studio doing a total conversion mod than building a game from scratch.

I'm not playing early access, but will try to listen to (spoiler-free) opinions by fellow watchers about the games story. For some reason I found the story in both original sin games very forgettable and I'm hoping this game will be better story-wise.

The companion quests and interactions were great, however, and I do hope they keep that part.

Back
Top Bottom