RPGWatch Feature - Rise of the Argonauts Review

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Mike 'txa1265' Anderson suits up and sails out on the Argo to check out Liquid's mythological action/RPG:
So the story is linear and you get very few choices of any impact, what about exploration? Well, once again the 'tutorial' area tells the tale. You feel from the start like you have some ability to go wherever you want - but quickly discover that isn't the case. The areas you encounter as you make your journey are all required, and the progression is entirely linear as you complete quests on each island and each area. Each area has plenty of running back and forth just to accomplish the core tasks to progress through the game, but you can engage in side-quests given out by various folks you meet along the way ... if you are willing to trade off even more pointless backtracking for a few more 'deed' points.
Read it all here.
More information.

A failure from A to Z, whose only point with any potential - the God favour system - isn't utilized in any interesting way. Mediocrity redefined.

Solid review.

"solid use of mythology"

About as solid as the portrayal of germans in american mainstream blockbusters. Or as close to beauty as Michael Jackson nowadays. Imho. TM.

So the game is actually worse than FG or just mediocre?

Great review txa. One of the worst purchases this year for me. I played it for a grand total of 3 hours before I quit and unistalled it. There is so many things just wrong and boring about this game. The worst was how extremely linear it was. I don't mind linear games sometimes, but this was ridiculous. The only game that comes close to being railroaded down the game would be Dungeon Siege and in that at least you could back track if you wanted.

My hats off to you for even finishing this game. I think I would of died of boredom if I tried.

So glad I never bought this. I'm very fond of a good hack n slash session, I liked the historical setting and the skill system had some points of interest for me, but after reading this and other reviews, all I can say is there's absolutely no motivation to even want to check this one out. Thanks for suffering in my stead, Mike. :)

Last edited:
I also only got 2 or 3 hours in. The thing is, it's not that bad a game but it just comes together so poorly. Running back and forth across sterile, static environments having dull, meaningless conversations killed it for me.

And no minimap. Seriously, do you know how annoying it is to get "lost" in a boring, linear, square, map? A couple of times I'd be in a giant square, empty room - have a conversation and then head to the wrong door to leave. It's lame and it makes you feel like an idiot.

So the game is actually worse than FG or just mediocre?

Given the 'forced' choice ... I would recommend this over FG, but would personally play FG because I love the Gothic universe. Of course, I would rather skip both and play something GOOD.

Been a while since I've visited RPGWatch. I was hoping there'd be a review for this game here. Looks like I arrived just in time! And now I won't waste my money or time playing Rise of the ArgoNuts. Kinda disappointing, as I am a mythology nut too. But then, I couldn't seem to play Too Human either...

Back
Top Bottom