The Witcher 2 - Released on GOG

Yup, done with the download from GOG, currently installing it, seems also there is a patch - saw JDR's question on GOG's "forum" about the patch...
All in all...
Can't wait to start it! :D

direct2drive.co.uk also released my key a few hours ago.

How flexible is this DRM free release? Does it abolish the dependency on the Internet or do you still need an internet connection to play, maintain the game other than downloading the adequate files?

It appears that there is serious issues if running the game with 3D Vision enabled on nVidia cards. The game is actually a poster boy for this nVidia tech so it's a bit embarrassing that it practically kills the FPS. I have a 3D vision enabled screen so I was looking forward to playing it in 3D but I guess I'll have to wait a bit.

How flexible is this DRM free release? Does it abolish the dependency on the Internet or do you still need an internet connection to play, maintain the game other than downloading the adequate files?
You do not need to be connected to the internet to play, nor do you need to activate the game in anyway, if you have the GoG DRM free release. You can, if you want to, register your game to receive additional benefits, but it is not mandatory, you can play the game without registering it.

Thanks.

Are the patches/updates available as separate downloads that appear in the game account as would the manual and other related downloads or is updating managed through an ingame mechanics, meaning that you have to be connected to maintain the game?

You can, if you want to, register your game to receive additional benefits, but it is not mandatory, you can play the game without registering it.

What are these additional benefits ?

What are these additional benefits ?

From what I remember on the original Witcher, you got some additional downloads - artwork and such and you were able to upgrade to the enhanced version.

From the email I got with my registration key for the Witcher 2:
Using the CD-Key is not required to play, but we recommend you register your copy of The Witcher 2 with it as it grants you access to direct updates, additional language packs, future free DLC, and more.

Right now I am unable to register mine through the launcher or on the webiste, I am guessing the server is getting slammed.

Right now I am unable to register mine through the launcher or on the webiste, I am guessing the server is getting slammed.

"Connection error, try again later"

Yeah, that's lame considering you have to register to download the supposed patch that already came out.

Seventeen gig?
Is that download or is the game size actually bigger? Good Lord!

I think I will go look for a physical copy somewhere

What 16 gig ?

GoG only downloaded 9.6 GB ... dont tell me i will have to wait hours to download 6 more gig , when i get home ?

Thanks JDR. My dsl is a bit slow anyways so I think I will run to Best Buy as I see they have the game in stock. I think I feel a case of flu coming on, LOL.

I hope I can run this card with an AMD Phenom- 4 Gigs and a 250 GTX- I really didn't want to update yet.

Note to Two Tricks: I was just reading on the Steam forums and the moderator said the game is 17 gig but that is after the install process. Huge game anyways

Last edited:
What 16 gig ?
GoG only downloaded 9.6 GB … dont tell me i will have to wait hours to download 6 more gig , when i get home ?

The installed size is 15.8 GB, the install files from GoG were 9.5 GB. You won't need to download any more with the exception of the 100k piece they left out if you pre-downloaded it.

Thats right, the dowload is 9.5 GB, the installer asked for 19 GB free space. And it takes a while to install! Twiddle-e-di, Twiddle-e-dum...

And it takes a while to install! Twiddle-e-di, Twiddle-e-dum…
Yep. I had time to make my breakfast, eat it without rushing and brush my teeth while it was installing (and this all not counting the file integrity checking before installing, which also takes awhile with nearly 10GB to check).

Back
Top Bottom