KoA: Reckoning - Interview @ GameBanshee

It's far from being just a tiny design decision to some of us. Realistic handling of items goes a long way in making a game more immersive to me.

I'm all for realistic. The Realms of Arkania series remains one of my favorite games of all time because it was so realistic, but being able to drop an item or not is not what I would consider important.

I was thinking about it and I don't believe I ever drop anything unless I have to and then I expect it to be gone. I'm not coming back for it. If I want to store something then that's different, but being able to drop or not drop an item on the ground makes absolutely no difference. Even in Skryim or other Beth games, I don't really decorate my home by dropping unique items in there. It's nice to have, I guess, but not something that I want. If it frees up resources to not be able to drop items on the ground then great. More resources for something more important.

But you guys go ahead and make a mountain out of a molehill. Whatever makes you happy or in this case whatever makes you unhappy. ;)

What about Gothic and Risen? They allow unlimited inventory, did that take you out of the game because it lacked realism? Personally, I think both systems work in different ways. There's no doubt I am a bit of a hoarder in RPG's (I think I learned this in Fallout 1), but there is something to be said about choosing between which crap to haul back to town too. It's all about design. A limited inventory works best when it makes you make difficult decisions, otherwise it can become a chore.

People will always attempt to downplay something when it's not a concept they care about. :)

I guess it's really a moot point for me though, seeing as how I have very little interest in KoA anyways. I suppose the demo could change my mind, but I don't expect that it will.

People will always attempt to downplay something when it's not a concept they care about. :)

Or they seem silly to be concerned about.

I ridiculed the 100s of different beard choices the Beth forums were all excited over because it's silly and not important, to me. Come on, they had a freaking poll about the beard choices. How stupid is that?

I can't wrap my head around why anyone would be concerned about whether you can pick up your items after you drop them, but I'm also used to it. A lot of the older RPGs had the same thing where if you dropped an item then it was gone. That didn't stop me from enjoying the hell out of them.

It's one thing to not want to play a game, but it's another to point out potential flaws in every single thread - without pointing out a SINGLE positive.

I have a feeling JDR will end up playing this at some point, when he's forgotten why he was so against it in the first place.

I don't expect him to talk about it openly ;)

but it's another to point out potential flaws in every single thread - without pointing out a SINGLE positive.

Hmm.. we've never see you do that, now have we? :)

No, I'll gladly admit I was wrong if this game turns out to be better than I think it's going to.

I can't wrap my head around why anyone would be concerned about whether you can pick up your items after you drop them, but I'm also used to it. A lot of the older RPGs had the same thing where if you dropped an item then it was gone. That didn't stop me from enjoying the hell out of them.

That's ok. I don't get how some people can fail to see why others would find that less immersive. I mean, It's perfectly realist to be able to pick something up but not be able to put it back down, right? Or to be able to remove items from a chect but not place items in a chest. To each his own.

Oh, the not dropping items thing is annoying - if true. Likely, it's because of console-limitations and them not wanting the savegames to expand in size too much.

TES games manage to include it, but it seems they have a lot of trouble on consoles after dozens of hours of play.

I'd rather have a stable game, and I can deal without this part.

Naturally, though, I'd like consoles to just die a painful death and give me back my f*cking PC-centric stuff :)

I'm all for realistic. The Realms of Arkania series remains one of my favorite games of all time because it was so realistic, but being able to drop an item or not is not what I would consider important.

I was thinking about it and I don't believe I ever drop anything unless I have to and then I expect it to be gone. I'm not coming back for it. If I want to store something then that's different, but being able to drop or not drop an item on the ground makes absolutely no difference. Even in Skryim or other Beth games, I don't really decorate my home by dropping unique items in there. It's nice to have, I guess, but not something that I want. If it frees up resources to not be able to drop items on the ground then great. More resources for something more important.

But you guys go ahead and make a mountain out of a molehill. Whatever makes you happy or in this case whatever makes you unhappy. ;)

In my case, i'm not so concerned about being able to drop items.

I'm concerned that there won't be any items at all in the game world.

If you can't drop them, usually it is because there is no mesh for the items in the world. So that would mean most likely in KoA, there are no weapons, armor, potions, food, books, etc., that you will encounter in the world unless they are inside a container.

I'm concerned that there won't be any items at all in the game world.

If you can't drop them, usually it is because there is no mesh for the items in the world. So that would mean most likely in KoA, there are no weapons, armor, potions, food, books, etc., that you will encounter in the world unless they are inside a container.

Very interesting point, and I am curious about this as well. Will they have animation for picking things up from the ground? In Gothic 3 you were able to drop things and pick them up and they were presistant in the world.

Very interesting point, and I am curious about this as well. Will they have animation for picking things up from the ground? In Gothic 3 you were able to drop things and pick them up and they were presistant in the world.

Anyone had a chance to observe whether this is the case from the gameplay footage that has been released so far?

I've followed the game closely for months now, and have seen just about every gameplay video out there for it, and have only seen someone pick something up in the game world when it was a designated quest item, such as a note laying on the floor, or a book. They said there are 300 books in the game, so some of them might be laying around, some might be found in bookcases. As far as interactivity with the game world, there are chests, some dressers/cupboards, and I've seen a weapons rack that had a shield in the tutorial dungeon (but you activate the weapons rack as though it were a container), and that's about it. It looks to be similar to how Mass Effect and Dragon Age handled things, and different from games like Risen or Divinity 2, if that makes things clearer for you.

I could be wrong though. But I'm just going off what I've seen so far.

I've followed the game closely for months now, and have seen just about every gameplay video out there for it, and have only seen someone pick something up in the game world when it was a designated quest item, such as a note laying on the floor, or a book. They said there are 300 books in the game, so some of them might be laying around, some might be found in bookcases. As far as interactivity with the game world, there are chests, some dressers/cupboards, and I've seen a weapons rack that had a shield in the tutorial dungeon (but you activate the weapons rack as though it were a container), and that's about it. It looks to be similar to how Mass Effect and Dragon Age handled things, and different from games like Risen or Divinity 2, if that makes things clearer for you.

I could be wrong though. But I'm just going off what I've seen so far.

Hopefully we will know more soon from the demo.

The homepage is down due to high traffic. I assume when they fix it then we'll be able to grab the demo.

Back
Top Bottom