Torment: Tides of Numenera - Gone Gold

I really loved Planescape at the time, but if it were to be released today I don't think I'd be so excited by it. Fortunately, this game looks quite different than Planescape in many meaningful ways, especially given that it has turn based combat. So I'm cautiously optimistic, especially if they can keep some of the interesting writing/world building, but with better game mechanics.

I'm looking forward to it because :
The characters seem interesting, cool and well written and I like isometric style graphics and these are quite nice to look at. Area and world design has been thought about. These locations are embedded in a world and look lived in and occupied.

The music stands out and gets you in the mood for adventure. There is some great reactivity ie choice & consequence with some mystery to unravel. I will play this to completion.

If a digital game is gold, why not just release it? Seems stupid to announce gold, "which really means that the game is complete and ready to be recorded on physical media", for a digital game. It's just a meaningless click-bait announcement.

Perhaps there are distribution requirements they need to satisfy? Or maybe the translated versions are incomplete?

Yep, those are some nice system requirements. It does seem a little lazy though, I heard it will support resolutions higher than 800x600 and more than 256 colors which is kind of a bummer. Also no word on win 3.1/dos 6.22 support or the ability to spend hours configuring hma, dma's and irq's. I suppose I can forgive all that though if they mail me any patches on 1002 5.25 floppy disks. now if you'll excuse me I need to dial in and check my favorite BBS.:biggrin:

Was this supposed to be funny? If it was you failed. The best way to make a niche game succesfull on a platform is to widen its possible installation base - this is marketing 101. On PC you can achieve this by optimizing for several configurations and a high level of scaling - which inXile achieved if you look at the difference between minimal and recommended specs. The installation base for XP is still about 20% of all PCs in western countries (far more if you consider South America, Russia and the whole of Africa) and 4GB of RAM is probably what about 50% of all PCs have. And it is so because of the demanded specs. Have a look:

Grand Theft Auto V: 4GB minimum, 8GB recommended
The Witcher 3: 4GB minimum (unsupported), 8GB recommended
Dying Light: 4GB minimum, 8GB recommended
Far Cry Primal: 4GB minimum, 8GB recommended

You see: No need to cater to the 8GB minimum crowd - in fact that makes a 64-bit only production unnecessary.

Point proven.

P. S.: If you want to understand how badly indie games are hurt by "64-bit", "DX10+" or "Vista and newer OS" tactics, you just have to take a look at the sales of "Krater"! It could have sold far better if it wasn't coded in such a lazy way.

Who didn't save the monster in their interactive video sidequest? :)

I lied at first then told the truth. So chaotic!

Was this supposed to be funny? If it was you failed.

Yep, I thought it was so silly that would be obvious. Tough crowd, I guess.

Sorry you wasted your time proving a point I was never questioning or cared about.

Last edited:
Yep, those are some nice system requirements. It does seem a little lazy though, I heard it will support resolutions higher than 800x600 and more than 256 colors which is kind of a bummer. Also no word on win 3.1/dos 6.22 support or the ability to spend hours configuring hma, dma's and irq's. I suppose I can forgive all that though if they mail me any patches on 1002 5.25 floppy disks. now if you'll excuse me I need to dial in and check my favorite BBS.:biggrin:

Come on, don't be silly. Who has a monitor that does 800x600? They need to just focus on 640x480 and not waste time with all these ridiculous "enhancements". :p

Rusty n Edie's? :biggrin:

If a digital game is gold, why not just release it? Seems stupid to announce gold, "which really means that the game is complete and ready to be recorded on physical media", for a digital game. It's just a meaningless click-bait announcement.
There will be a retail release so yes publishers across the world need to print and distribute the game.

There will be a retail release so yes publishers across the world need to print and distribute the game.

Aha! So there is physical media. Well, then I guess those that are interested in this, get to wait a little longer. I have no interest at all yet, but could be sold if plenty of people here enjoy the game.

Aaaargh!

I am furious with rage!

Today my Torment box arrived - and guess what: it comes with STEAM DRM-crap!

They omitted the Warning on the box shots!!!

What am I supposed to do?

Two options. First, play it on Steam or google for crack - I'm not recommending this because Steam is not hurting PC like other older DRM crapware. Second, ask if anyone with GOG key would switch for Steam key.

I got my key a few hours ago, but I probably won't start playing until next week. I also got a DLC key for something called "Mindforged Synthsteel Plating". Anyone know what that is?

Compared to absolutely desecrated unplayable trainwreck Wasteland 2, …

Good that you didn't overreact there.

Back
Top Bottom