Dragon Age 2 - Preview @ 1UP, Extended Demo Shown

aries100

SasqWatch
There's a preview for Dragon Age 2 at 1UP. It is based on an extended demo for Dragon Age 2 shown to 1UP during GamesCom in Germany. For the PC version, Laidlaw explains what the idea behind the new camera is:
The idea is to afford a good view of the battlefield while resolving technical problems that lowered the graphical fidelity across all three platforms, Laidlaw says. My impression is that it makes for a solid middle ground between a pure third-person view and the overhead camera of old; at the very least, it doesn't impact the ability to issue orders and direct characters about the battlefield.
And here's something about the narrative:
It's a two-way street though. Decisions made over the course of the game will affect how the narrative unfolds, and ultimately defines how Hawke becomes the Champion of Kirkwall, "We kind of play to what I see as the key strength of videogames. Where instead of it being the locked down history of the character, certain elements are locked, like you always become the Champion of Kirkwall. But how you get there, and how these storytellers reacts, is based on your decisions."
Thanks to mr_luga at the Bioware forums for pointing to this.
More information.

I played only the Xbox version of DA1 and had no trouble whatsoever with the camera and issuing commands to party members. It was DIFFERENT than BG2 camera-wise, but it just took a little getting used to.

I'm sure tha PC version was DIFFERENT than the Xbox version, but really I enjoyed the Xbox game just fine and didn't really miss the high overhead view at all.

Looking forward to the new one as I thought DA:O was kind of a slog after a while, but overall excellent. Just couldn't play it through again. I tried.

I'm sure tha PC version was DIFFERENT than the Xbox version, but really I enjoyed the Xbox game just fine and didn't really miss the high overhead view at all.

The only thing DIFFERENT in PC version was that due to high res+AA+maxed out AF, we witnessed the blur-fest of epic proportions.

Hell, I kept switching between overhead and closeup third person view (when controlling main character only) all the time but WTF was with the blurry textures? To be honest I suspected that a DLC would be released with high-res textures, but even that didn't happen..

I never had an issue with any textures in DA, other than the fact that they were a little bland in some places.

The game looked fine to me, albeit the art direction wasn't exciting. Given the console versions didn't have quite the same tactical party control, it's a bit disingenuous to say a "blur-fest" is the only difference.

From what I've seen the PC version looked better (on powerful PCs) but the graphics weren't a problem for me. I got tired of the repetitive combat. There was too much filler in an otherwise very good game.

Disappointingly generic story and setting, though.

There are 2-3 MODs that convert the texturs to high res.

In this thread,

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/4471957

discussions about the weapons have stated that it indeed is not a sword, more like a spear, or maybe even some sort of pole-weapon? Or maybe even some sort of japanese, chinese-style weapon?

As for the art in the trailer, it definetely had a eastern anime feeling; EA's boss, Riccitiello liked Jade Empire, so maybe this anime thing is done to sort of please him?

As for the size of the weapon, people often forget that in the 15th and 16th century (and earlier and later) used to be as high as man, or even higher.

Last edited:
Have you ever seen a real german 2-handed sword/greatsword? They are humongous, even larger than the one displayed in this video.

http://www.thearma.org/essays/2HGS.html

The blade in many titles such as Baldur's Gate, is actually miniaturized.

That was a GREAT article. I had to book mark that one - thanks!

Back
Top Bottom