Fluent's RPGWatch Videos

The Dark Spire has some really interesting mechanics that I think you should check out. If you'd like, watch my 18 minute introduction to the game that I posted in this thread. That video shows of some of the mechanics and talks about them. It really has everything you'd want in a Wizardry-style 'crawler and then some.

Cool, thanks Fluent. I'll check that out. Sounds interesting.

In short, it has free multi-classing, meaning you could freely level your characters up in different classes if you have the EXP to do so.

There are also unique NPC encounters in the dungeon, which is nice. Plenty of secret doors and secret rooms. Non-combat skill usage, with a long list of available skills to play with.

An interesting Formation mechanic where you can place either 1, 2, or 3 characters in the front row at any given time.

Special class unlocks when you train enough points in the various 4 base classes.

And a lot of really good, old-school dungeon crawling. Challenging encounters, side quests, a main story. Lots of fun to be had.

Hey folks!

Here is my latest A Fluent First Look episode at yet another dungeon-crawler gem for the Nintendo DS, Etrian Odyssey! Check it out, it has some really unique elements makes for a rewarding and challenging dungeon crawl experience!

Link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRqQ_2ZXOok

And finally, I finally hit 1000 subscribers! Wow. I am humbled to say the least. Here is a little thank you video from me to you. I appreciate you guys and gals even if you aren't subscribed and just watched a video or two over the past year. You are all awesome and I love each and every one of ya! :)

Last edited:
For the life of me I cannot get the GNotR D3D11 mod to work. Does anyone have step by step instructions for dummies in English on how to get this working? Ugh...

By the way, in case anyone was wondering about what happened to the renderer and/or the ReGoth engine project, well, the inevitable happened ;) . The maker of the mod (Degenerated) finished university, got a job and also enjoys spending time with his girlfriend so both projects are currently sort of in limbo.

He originally wanted to put the majority of his efforts into the much more promising ReGoth project instead of the troublesome renderer but now it is uncertain whether work will continue at all.
It seems like he wants to but he is out of the loop at the moment and would have to find time to get back into it which is difficult due to the job and RL taking up most of his time.

The good news for Gothic fans, however, is that the ReGoth project is open source so it is at least theoretically possible that someone from the community might continue development.

Thanks for those links JDR... I actually found both of those yesterday. I was just about to post a whole bunch of detail about what I had done to see if somebody could help me get it to work, but then the installers worked today... let me explain.

Yesterday, I downloaded the EXE version of the MOD (version 15) as well as the EXE version of Gothic 2 Report version 2.6. When running both of these installers, after selecting the folder location of my G2NotR installation, the button to continue would remain disabled.

So I tried to install both the MOD and G2Report using the ZIP folder route and was having no luck.

Today for some reason, I tried the EXE installers and the universe decided to allow BOTH of them to work properly. So now I have the mod installed and working. I gotta say, it was worth the effort, the visual upgrade is amazing to say the least.

Make Gothic 2 Gold Edition Look Pretty On Modern Computers - Guide For Dummies!!!

I decided that I am going to memorialize exactly how to install the Gothic 2 Night of the Raven (G2NotR) "GD3D11" Mod (Version 17.1) for those people who, like me, literally need a "For Dummies" guide to get it all working. These instructions are for the GoG version of the game, but there's probably a good chance this would work just as well for other platforms. Gothic 2 Gold = "Gothic 2 Night of the Raven" or "G2NotR" (The original game "Gothic 2" + the "Night of the Raven" expansion). These instructions are confirmed to work for the English Language version of the game.

Before you do anything, you need to purchase and install Gothic 2 Gold Edition. You can buy it from GoG and Steam.

Now it's time to install two (2) patches and one (1) MOD. I've also included an optional high-res font you can download and install. Download and install the following in the order shown (the installation order is important). They are:

1. Gothic 2-Report Version 2.6.0.0 Patch
This patch updates the Gothic2.EXE file and adds some other supporting files to the Gothic 2 installation folder. You can download it here. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Download." Run the EXE to install the Patch*

2. System Pack Version 1.7 Patch
Without the System Pack, you won't hear any of the in-game dialog. There may be other things that don't work right either, I really don't know. You can download it here. Scroll down to the Green Font that says "Download" and click the button underneath that which reads (in German), "Ausblenden" and then click on "systempack-1.7" (this is the EXE version). Run the EXE to install the Patch* During the installation process of this patch, be sure to check the box for your preferred language.

3. D3D11 Version 17.1 MOD
This MOD is up to version 17.1 (as far as I could find) as of this writing. You can download it here. Once you click the link here, the prompt for where to put the file on your computer will appear. Run the EXE file to install the MOD*. This MOD won't get through its installation process unless you've applied the "Gothic 2-Report Version Patch" (above).

4. Updated In-Game Font <<< OPTIONAL >>>
There is a high resolution font you can download and install which will make reading the in-game text a lot easier. You don't need this, but like the improved graphics, the font sure is pretty. You can download it here. Copy the file, "FONT_High_Resolution.vdf" into the DATA folder of your Gothic 2 Gold installation. On my computer, it is: C:\Games\GoG\GalaxyClient\Games\Gothic 2 Gold\Data. That's it, when you start the game, you will have the new high-res font.

*NOTE When downloading/running the EXE files, your Anti-Virus software may scream, yell, and quaranteen the files. You may need to disable your anit-virus to get this all done.

Comment 1
The first time you launch the game after installing these patches and Mods, you may be prompted to update the MOD - if you get such a prompt, choose to update - it seems there is an update to the MOD to version 17.4 which oddly I could not find outside of this prompting.

Comment 2
The first time you get to the Main Menu in G2NotR after installing these patches and the MOD, you will see the file, "Normalmaps_Original.zip" being downloaded - it shows in the upper left corner of the main menu screen. This is normal. I always let this file download and unpack before starting my game, but I don't know if that's necessary or not. This only happens the first time you get to the main menu screen after patching/modding the game.

There may be more things one can install to further make G2NotR look even prettier and if I get very detailed suggestions I'll add them to this post.

Last edited:
+1

@Fluent, here's hope your 4K whatnot hardware farted so no more wasting time on that crap instead of playing games and socializing with us. :p

Welcome back Fluent. :)

Install Vurt's Graphics Overhaul. You can thank me later. :)

Installed this mod. Double-checked to make sure I did it right. I'm getting a blank screen when I enter the game proper. I can hear sounds but I can't see anything - just a black screen. Any ideas?

Installed this mod. Double-checked to make sure I did it right. I'm getting a blank screen when I enter the game proper. I can hear sounds but I can't see anything - just a black screen. Any ideas?

Hmm. Are you using an international version of the game? The Report Patch doesn't work with international versions, so you should just use the System Pack.

Otherwise I'm not sure. Maybe some setting is conflicting in your GPU control panel. Or something needs to be tweaked in the .ini. Have you restarted your PC as well?

Here's some information that might help you:

https://www.gog.com/forum/gothic_series/black_screen

This link is not your exact problem but could be helpful:

https://forum.worldofplayers.de/for...-20/page11?p=25423461&viewfull=1#post25423461

Finally, I run the game with these compatibility settings:

Reduced color mode (16-bit)
Override high DPI scaling behavior (Scaling performed by: Application)
Disable fullscreen optimizations
Run this program as administrator

You have to click "Change settings for all users" button to see the advanced options.

Hope this helps! You should keep at it because the overhaul is really beautiful with the D3D11 mod.

O_O

Hopefuly it's not because of my spits all over TLR...

51R89RWGSBL.jpg

Back
Top Bottom