Might & Magic I - Retrospective @ RPG Codex

Why would we have asked that? Ubisoft doesn't make classic cRPG's.

Well, no they don't…they're largely publishers and distributors rather than developers.
Having said that, they do have one semi-classically inspired RPG in their publishing history - Ruins of Myth Drannor, so the genre isn't exactly something they've had nothing to do with previously. Perhaps this experience burned them somewhat, I don't rightly know…

I just thought that it would be interesting to hear JVC reflect on why he thinks Ubisoft has neglected a serious part of the name brand that they purchased.
I mean, it just doesn't make any sense from this fan's admittedly subjective point of view. :) (Business pragmatism and all that, ok, baloney!)

You only have to go to the official Might and Magic website these days and it's all Heroes this and Dark Messiah that - nary a classic Might and Magic thread in sight.

Thinking aloud: Did Dark Messiah do well enough that Ubisoft would consider a partnership with Arkane again? Given Kickstarter's success rates with reasonably well known studios and projects thus far, surely they'd have a good chance of getting a new Might and Magic off the ground.

Last edited:
Well, no they don't…they're publishers and distributors, not developers.
Ubisoft has development studios in France, Canada, and China I believe. They have home-grown franchises like the Rayman thingie and Assassin's Creed. So technically if they chose to they probably could assign a team on an MMX.

Hey - get the old and new together, kickstarter from JVC & Charles of Olderbytes!

I'm expecting a call from JVC any minute now. :biggrin: Also I'm sure Neal Hallford is bored at Gas Powered Games. And they all want ME as their new leader. Hey get taht straight jacket off me right now!

Yeah, I noticed that too. But I don't know if it was evasion or in the editing.

There was no editing involved. JVC is currently at EA, so it should come as no suprise he chose not to answer that part of the question.

Thinking aloud: Did Dark Messiah do well enough that Ubisoft would consider a partnership with Arkane again?

Unfortunately, Arkane belongs to Bethesda now (as in, it is one of their internal studios), so that's hardly possible. Also, I don't think Ubisoft would comission a proper Might and Magic game anyway.

Seems Mark Caldwell is doing facebook games at the moment... he must be bored with that by now and yearning to do another turned based game with JVC, right? ;)

I gotta say, NWC always seemed a nice bunch - we did a Heroes2 port for them, and everything was very smooth/efficient.

I am pretty sure he is not happy about that at all. But it is out of his hands anyway.
If you're a game industry legend and working for a company that's doing the exact opposite of what you believe in, I'd argue that finding a new job might be a very good idea. However, maybe he's been looking and just hasn't found one. It's not like he'd tell us.

Back
Top Bottom